I spent 4 days in Pom Pom island. Besides the fact that the entire resort is totally run down and badly needs renovation (not worth half of what you pay for it), here are 10 annoying things about it, i.e. reasons not to go:
1) The food is horrible. Mostly chinese food (as the clientele is also mostly chinese). But in case you are chinese or like chinese food, I met a chinese guy there who told me that the food was horrible by his standards as well
2) The rooms are spacious but basic to use an euphemism. You pay for a 5 stars resort and all you get is a decent bed and air-conditioning (no TV, no internet, ...)
3) I found quite ridiculous that, after paying EUR400/night, they charge RM10 (EUR2!) for things such as bike rental or in-room internet
4) Even more annoying is to find price lists for everything (see photos attached... had to take them since someone might not believe). For example, they stick a price tag of RM50 to the bottle opener, and even add it to the price list! Or, in the bathroom, they show the price list for stuff like shampoos, and even the hair-dryer!! (and on the hair dryer they wrote "pom pom island" with a marker!!) I wonder, do they have special promotion for professional thieves in this place?!?
5) One more... They'll charge you RM1200 if you misplace a sunbed and it can't be found again! I wonder, how on earth can that happen?
6) There are literally 6 sunbeds on the beach. Just 6, for 40 villas or so. No comment.
7) There are 2 beach bars, but they are empty. No waiters, no bottles... They are just standing there but not actually used. You have to go to the main house for everything
8) Every afternoon, a guy was operating a chain-saw just beside the main house, near the beach. Very relaxing.
9) There's absolutely nothing to do in the evening. They have a projector but don't use it (would have been nice to watch a movie...), no games, no music, no bars. NOTHING. One day we found a small room with a pool table, but guess what... Only 7 balls to play with (maybe because those balls are not on the price list...)
10) Are you still reading? Are you still looking for more reasons not to go??? Alright... EVERYTHING in this place looks and smells old.
On the other hand: 2 reasons why our stay was not a total nightmare:
1) The sea is fantastic, especially for divers. But you can chose a different (less overpriced) resort to enjoy that
2) The staff was really friendly and helpful, they even arranged for a separate boat for us on the way back to Semporna (so that we didn't have to wait for 3 hours in the airport). The staff at the diving center was also awesome, very experienced and professional
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A beautiful peaceful, paradise island resort with PADI Dive Centre, dive packages available with luxury accommodation. Enjoy diving the 6 nearby islands surrounding Pom Pom Island, amazing macro plus beautiful coral fish and turtles. Resort has range of luxury detached beach and water villas constructed for every comfort. Packages include 3 meals per day plus snacks, juices, coffee and tea, etc in our famous traditional Malaysian restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Booking.com and Ebookers so you can book your Pom Pom Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sipadan Pom Pom Hotel Pulau Sipadan