I stayed at Kapalai for 4D3N on a none-diver package.
The place is absolutely beautiful & amazing- although we were expecting the resort to be on an island or at least some land to walk on but it turns out that kapalai island isn't really an island, it's more like a resort build in the middle of the ocean.
Having said that, there's a beach that apears only during the hours of low tide (around 1~3pm).
The rooms are spacious & basic (there's no air con in the room, only ceiling fans) with amazing views (but be aware that people can also see you from outside!).
The water was amazing as well - you can see sting rays, star fishes and many more just by walking around the resort.
Although there are also couple of downsides...
When I made my reservation, I was told that the resort will be able to take me to the other nearby islands (Sipadan & Mabul) for a bit of snorkelling but when I got there, we were told that it's impossible for snorkellers to go to Sipadan as they only give have enough permits for the people that are on the diver package. He then said that we can still visit Mabul BUT it depends on the number of divers on their boat (which is always full as they always give priorities to the divers), so we ended up having to stay at the resort during our entire stay.
Also, there's not much choice of restaurant since the resort only have buffet - so it's buffet breakfast, lunch, dinner everyday.
And, there's no doctor on site - so if anything goes wrong, you have to go back to semporna, which is an hour boat away.
(So make sure you bring all the necessary medications!)
For none divers, I'd recommand 3D2N as it might start to get a bit boring after that.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A few minutes by boat from the islands of Sipadan and Mabul but a full world away from it lays the exhilarating Sipadan-Kapalai Dive Resort, sitting on its sturdy stilts on the shallow sandbanks of Ligitan Reefs. Planned and built in full style as an airy, comfortable, sunny water village with no land in sight, it boasts a mile-long sandbank of powdery white sand where one can suntan at complete leisure while gazing out to the miles of brilliant turquoise stretching into the horizon offering the purest image of natural serenity. Dive spots Sipadan and Mabul can be reached in just a few minutes by speedboat. Sipadan-Kapalai is an ideal destination for diver and non-diver alike seeking a great holiday experience. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Sipadan-Kapalai Dive Hotel Pulau Sipadan
- Sipadan Kapalai Island Hotel
- Hotel Sipadan Kapalai Island