The food was awful.
The rooms were grotty.
The air con was loud.
There were bugs everywhere.
I loved it. (Both times in 2004 and 2012).
Why? Because this resort is in the middle of the jungle. Yes, that means you don't have first world amenities at your disposal, and rightly so. If this place was a modern development it would cause damage to the surrounding area. As it stands I suspect the damage is minimal.
It's a very pretty hotel and grounds with flora and fauna everywhere including cheeky monkeys and noisy bats. I saw giant centipedes and leeches. A highpoint was when a lizard about 18 inches long strolled into our room for a little look then exited again through the hole in the wall he had arrived through.
Be sure to go visit the orang utans 100m down the road.
What this hotel is not: luxury accommodation for an orang utan visit.
What it is: moderately acceptable accommodation in a jungle enabling visitors to get up close with the natural inhabitants of the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just 5 minutes walk to Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre, Sepilok Jungle Resort offers comfortable lodging for visitors around the world to get close but un-intrusive glimpse of this nature paradise. It is enclosed within a tropical virgin Borneo Rainforest in Sandakan, Sabah (Borneo), Malaysia. Let its beautiful landscaped gardens and wide expanse of lush jungle transport you back in time. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Cancelon, Ebookers, HotelsClick and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sepilok Jungle Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sepilok Jungle Hotel Sandakan
- Sepilok Jungle Sandakan
- Sepilok Jungle Resort Sandakan, Sabah, Malaysia