“Loving the Malay & Western Cuisine!”
Review of Borneo Cove Hotel

Borneo Cove Hotel
Ranked #21 of 33 Hotels in Sandakan
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Went there for 1 night stay with my families. But a bit disappointed cause the pool is dirty when we arrive but my nephews and daughter insist to swim. Other than that, the service is excellent. The food is seriously delicious especially the Beef Lasagna. You guys should try it! :)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank sheenarashid
BCH0tel, Manager at Borneo Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Dear sheenarashid,

Thank you for staying with us and I appreciate you are taking time to share the feedback on the hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, food and the service from my team. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the team members.

Regarding the pool i'm very sorry to hear about your experience with our pool during your stay, i sure to pass on this matter to my team member who is in charge of the pool to clean the pools regularly.

Again, thank you for the feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Borneo Cove Hotel when you next return to Sandakan.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Theres good wifi
Every employee is kind, welcoming and helpful. Rooms are well sized with a really good hot shower, fridge and television. Also beds are nice and rooms are clean. It's decent and worth it. Not much to do in sandakan though

• Stayed: July 2013
BCH0tel, Manager at Borneo Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Dear Billyschofield,

Reviewed 28 June 2013

We saw this hotel on Agoda and couldn't believe the price - 77 MYR per night for a double room including breakfast. The hotel is newish and attached to a hospitality school - there are always a lot of people working as the students do some kind of work experience here as well. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, they kept our bags when we went on an overnight trip - no problem.
The rooms are very well equipped - everything looks brand new, the beds and linen are beautiful, shower is great, and the rooms have good air con and a fridge.
There is a small pool and sun loungers, plus a self service laundry which is very good value.
The location is the only drawback - you are about 10 minutes drive to town, but you can either hire a moped from the Seaview hotel in town for 35MYR per day, or catch the bus, or taxi. We had no problems with the location as we went to the orang utan sanctuary and the proboscis monkey sanctuary - both are out of town and the hotel is closer to them by a few kms.
We ate at the restaurant one evening - the food was good - nothing really fabulous and they have a limited alcoholic drinks selection that are actually available from the menu.
Breakfast is included and is pretty varied - a good selection.
All in all we enjoyed our stay, and would highly recommend this as a great option for your time in Sandakan.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kathy L
BCH0tel, Manager at Borneo Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Dear Kathy L,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and the service from my team. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the team members.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

We stay here for 2 nights for my cousin's wedding...I love the room. It is spacious and clean. They provided small freeze...safe box and closet. There also a pantry inside the room! They provide the basic amenities...2 shampoos and soaps. The shower is heavenly! 2 complimentary of drinking water...1 coffee and tea...I wish they provide two of each though. :-) The bed and linen is really clean...big window so you wont feel suffocated...The small downside during my stay is...The breakfast is so so only (But not a big deal to me) and the aircond is not cold enough. Overall I'm very satisfied...Definitely will come back to this hotel if we happen to be in town again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank misslv
BCH0tel, Manager at Borneo Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Dear Misslv,

Regarding the breakfast i will discuss this matter with my team members to increase more types of foods or changing the menu entirely.

Reviewed 16 May 2013

Their WiFi is currently not working and there are extensive building works in progress. The hotel itself could be great - nice rooms, swimming pool, good food, laundry room etc. but for now it is unbelievably noisy and has no internet access. It's a new hotel and is currently a building site.

Drilling, welding, banging, smashing, diggers, no peace whatsoever. The drilling was a couple of metres from my head whilst I was trying to sleep and this was the 'more quiet' room they had moved us to.

They also have no curtains on the frosted windows by the door to the room. There are very bright lights outside which illuminate the room throughout the night. Didn't bother me a great deal, but if you like sleeping in darkness, this is not the place for you.

Give it 6-12 months for them to complete this work, but for now avoid at all costs. Booked three nights, stayed one and promptly moved.

Oh, and rather than apologising, they asked me if I'd stolen a hanger when I checked out. Wasn't the ideal way to end a horrible stay. Sigh.

Room Tip: Ask for earplugs and a blindfold. McDonalds is a 10 min cab drive away and there is free WiFi there.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
BCH0tel, Manager at Borneo Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

Dear Mr. 81Dan,

Please accept our sincere apology on your experience during your stay with us recently. The hotel in a midst of renovation as to provide a better service and comfortable environment. The renovation works will take place from 9am to 5pm daily except Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays.

Since then, our Engineering Team has been notified and preventive measures has been taken into place.

Related to the stolen hangers, I have personally spoken to the Department Head In Charge in giving sufficient training to the Team Members. This is a very isolated incident and will not be repeated. As you have seen other travellers feedback in this website.

Please let me know if happens to drop by in Sandakan.

Regards,
Manager

Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

This is a new hotel with a lovely garden and swimming pool with place to relax. The rooms are a good size with neat bathrooms and air-conditioning - which is essential for a good nights sleep in Borneo. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the food we had at their cafe/restaurant was great.
The location is not in the main part of Sandakan which is actually fine as there is not much happening in town which was of interest to us.
Don't be put off by the main road either - you don't hear any traffic.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Nicole S
BCH0tel, Manager at Borneo Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Dear Nicole S,

Reviewed 29 April 2013

We got a good offer from Agoda. We stayed at Borneo Cove hotel for 3D2N. Staffs there really friendly. Location is good & safe and very relaxing. Is much better than Sandakan town. That hotel really liked a good resort for family..friends gathering..or honey moon. Not far from airport. But firstly, you must have a car to drive along Sandakan area. Anyway, with yours GPS... is really help alot.

My superior room & standard room come with breakfast package. Simple n nice..
Thank you for the management & staffs of Borneo Cove hotel. Really missed the moment there.. Sure i will come back again.. WELL DONE !!!

Room Tip: In case you bringing old folks. Please request ground floor. All of the rooms, need to use staircase...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank onnonn
BCH0tel, Manager at Borneo Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Dear onnonn,