“Great new hotel”
Review of Borneo Cove Hotel

Borneo Cove Hotel
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in Sandakan
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Overall a great stay. Friendly helpfull staff & lots of trainees. Not close to the city centre but a bus is RM1 or a taxi RM 10-20. Big clean room, Good price although i think you can get a better price booking online.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Clam77
BCH0tel, Manager at Borneo Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear Clam77,

Thank you for staying with us and I appreciate you are taking time to share the feedback on the hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, food and the service from my team. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the team members.

Again, thank you for the feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Borneo Cove Hotel when you next return to Sandakan.

There are newer reviews for Borneo Cove Hotel

Reviewed 30 July 2013

The reviews don't lie - this is a really great place to stay if you are after solid modern comfort, no frills but decent quality and especially fantastic value for money (the front desk even told me to book online not over the counter cos the discount is huge). It is not within walking distance of Sandakan centre but then many hotels/hostels aren't and it's not as if the town centre is a major attraction. It's quite a dump actually apart from some nice bits by the seafront. So BC Hotel sits in its own very secure compound off the highway in from the airport, and is super clean and modern compared to most other buildings around. Big rooms, great showers, handy room safeboxes, no problem adding extra mattresses in our 2 doubles (at cost of RM30 each), to accommodate our family of six. Incredible value at RM30 per person - this is pretty much the same as backpacker hostels and you get a load more quality and space for your money. Massive bonus for us arriving straight from UK after long flight via KL was the pool - small but clean, private, quiet. The breakfast (included in the stunning price) is a bit ropey but fine. A la carte menu for lunch and supper (at nice outdoor tables) is good and varied, and again, not that pricey. Especially if you go for Asian options - as you'd expect. Western beer brands cost loads though - as everywhere in Sabah, expect to pay at least RM20 for a bottle of Stella or Carlsberg! It's not a highly Muslim place but the alcohol prices are high partly for that reason. Staff very obliging - changing our rooms twice because of faulty aircon. The hotel has a 'hotel training college' attached to it, so some of the staff are students/trainees, with varying standards but all are willing to please. We were charged RM25 for taxi from the airport (we didn't know any different) but that's a bit steep and you should be able to negociate down. Taxi to town should be no more than RM15 max. We recommend this place highly - we ended up cancelling another couple of bookings to return here at various points in our Sabah travels. Look no further in Sandakan!

Room Tip: All pretty similar.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank revieg
BCH0tel, Manager at Borneo Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Dear revieg,

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Stayin for a night.with a promo rm130 pnight..highly secured area..
Nice room comfy bed..cleain toilet..
Wifi sucks at the time i stayin
*recommended
Easy to find..just beside hway...with a big sign..

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Addie I
BCH0tel, Manager at Borneo Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Dear Addie I,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and the service from my team. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the team members.

Related to the Internet Wifi, we called our internet provider customer support, regrettably they were experiencing some technical difficulties during that day. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused during that day.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Really not much to say other than that the reviews for this place are spot on. Even though this is a short drive from the city center (where there is not much to do), this is the place for any budget-conscious traveller to stay. The room was spacious and clean (much more so than many of the supposedly 4 star hotels we stayed in), and the students do an exceptional job running the place. For the price, quality, and outstanding service, we would stay here again in a heartbeat.

If you want a bit of a taste of the local experience, hop on one of the mini buses heading into town (cost should be about 1 MYR. Might want to ask the driver or assistant where to catch the bus for a return trip before getting lost in the craziness of the mini bus station), and grab food on Sim-Sim Bridge 8 or, even better yet, the local neighborhood food market right next to the Borneo Cove Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ryan A

Dear Ryan A,

Reviewed 12 July 2013

Went there for 1 night stay with my families. But a bit disappointed cause the pool is dirty when we arrive but my nephews and daughter insist to swim. Other than that, the service is excellent. The food is seriously delicious especially the Beef Lasagna. You guys should try it! :)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank sheenarashid
BCH0tel, Manager at Borneo Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Dear sheenarashid,

Regarding the pool i'm very sorry to hear about your experience with our pool during your stay, i sure to pass on this matter to my team member who is in charge of the pool to clean the pools regularly.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Theres good wifi
Every employee is kind, welcoming and helpful. Rooms are well sized with a really good hot shower, fridge and television. Also beds are nice and rooms are clean. It's decent and worth it. Not much to do in sandakan though

• Stayed: July 2013
BCH0tel, Manager at Borneo Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Dear Billyschofield,

Reviewed 28 June 2013

We saw this hotel on Agoda and couldn't believe the price - 77 MYR per night for a double room including breakfast. The hotel is newish and attached to a hospitality school - there are always a lot of people working as the students do some kind of work experience here as well. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, they kept our bags when we went on an overnight trip - no problem.
The rooms are very well equipped - everything looks brand new, the beds and linen are beautiful, shower is great, and the rooms have good air con and a fridge.
There is a small pool and sun loungers, plus a self service laundry which is very good value.
The location is the only drawback - you are about 10 minutes drive to town, but you can either hire a moped from the Seaview hotel in town for 35MYR per day, or catch the bus, or taxi. We had no problems with the location as we went to the orang utan sanctuary and the proboscis monkey sanctuary - both are out of town and the hotel is closer to them by a few kms.
We ate at the restaurant one evening - the food was good - nothing really fabulous and they have a limited alcoholic drinks selection that are actually available from the menu.
Breakfast is included and is pretty varied - a good selection.
All in all we enjoyed our stay, and would highly recommend this as a great option for your time in Sandakan.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kathy L
BCH0tel, Manager at Borneo Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Dear Kathy L,