Borneo Cove Hotel
US$24
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed here recently and the rooms are basic but clean. We did however have no hot water but once we notified staff this was quickly fixed. Staff were extremely friendly and always happy to assist. As long as you are aware this is a basic budget hotel I am sure you will be happy.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank BayLodge
BCH0tel, Manager at Borneo Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear BayLodge

Thank you for staying with us and I appreciate you are taking time to share the feedback on the hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and the service from my team. I will be sure to pass on your kind words and your experiences to our team members.

Thank you for the feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Borneo Cove Hotel again.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Having visited Sandakan many times over the last several years it was quite pleasing to find this Hotel. The staff having completed their training at the attached Hospitality Institute were very keen to please.The GM Judy Goh was approachable and took on board any concerns we had, so if you are visiting Sandakan you could do a lot worse than staying here.

Room Tip: Ground floor, close to front of Hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jimbo1302

Dear Jimbo1302,

Thank you for staying with us and I appreciate your feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, my team members and I look forward to welcoming you back to Borneo Cove Hotel when you next visit Sandakan.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, thinking of extending one more night, but we dont have more time for this part of Sabah/Borneo. The personal was great ! Some of them was not speaking english good, but there was always more people at reception to help you about any information about Sandakan or Borneo. One evening we've received phone call from reception, informing us about soccer match (english language) in the restaurant "Hello sir, we would like to invite you to watch this match, we are preparing right now big screen LCD and I will be happy to inform you about 30% discount in our bar for this match... ". As we aren't big fans of watching soccer/TV (especially on a holiday), this service really surprised me. I will stay there again, even the location is not perfect (it's close to big road) - but the cleanliness and service was really perfect ! (On the checkout they advised us where to stop on the way to Mt. Kinabalu - our destination after Sandakan). Thanks again !

Room Tip: Try to ask for room not close to the road (not sure they have it)
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BasoBaso

Dear BasoBaso

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, food and the service from my team. I will be sure to pass on your kind words and your experiences, to our team members.

Again, thank you for the feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Borneo Cove Hotel when you next return to Sandakan.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Sorted thru for this place, looking for somewhere with a pool (said to be only 3 hotels in town with one). They have had pump problems with it, but was working fine on day 2.
It's a modern place, co-joined with a hospitality college so the students have a hand in its operation.
There are modern large rooms, with all needed facilities and good TV, clean linen and a modern cafe. Food fine and service good.
There for a few nights, the design meant that although hot outside, I did not have to use the A/conditioner once!
As others have said, the location is not the best, but can be overcome by just a RM 1 bus fare from bus stop outside to the center which is good value and operates regularly in business hours. There were few tourists in town or in the hotel.
Sandakan seems to sleep until well after 10am, and is in my opinion generally old and uninspiring. A relic of the 1950's, there is little that is attractive in the town. The building boom on the outskirts seems excessive.
The only negative was the regular call to prayer from a nearby Mosque, the main positive was a very good tariff and feeling of safety throughout!

Room Tip: Rear room is what I had - all very satisfactory.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank uzzul
BCH0tel, General Manager at Borneo Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Uzzul,
We value your comments as to improve on the quality of the service. Thank you for choosing us as your destination in Borneo and based on your comments, you have enjoyed your stay.

As Sandakan folks are majority Muslim and there are few mosques located nearby the hotel.

Hope to Welcome you back in near future.

Regards,
Ferhad Abdul Rahman
Resident Manager

Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights in February 2014.

The rooms are quite nice and had everything we needed for our stay. The hotel is located quite far away from the main bit of Sandakan town but there was a mini bus which stopped outside and went down town for just 1 ringit.

One small annoyance was the music playing in the hallway outside of our room at night. The speaker was right outside our door and seemed very loud, which made it difficult to sleep.

Overall, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Ashleigh S

Dear Ashleigh S,
Thank you for choosing us as your destination in Sandakan and of course we value your comment.

Since then, we have changed the time of playing the corridor pipe in music till 6pm.

Hope to see you in near future as at the moment, we are entering phase 2 of the development.

Regards,