“Disappointed”

Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Sandakan
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Recently stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The positive is the room is clean.

The not so great...The wifi is really bad that I had to go to the hotel lobby to get access which is not great when this is really expected in hotels these days. There was also no hairdryer in the room. I requested for one which was provided but they called me at 6.20 am to ask if they can take it. I only managed to get to sleep at 2 am so was not pleased. I was groggy and said yes but called back to say no as needed it in the morning. They said we can return it after ! And wake me up again.... I can't believe they only have limited number of hairdryers. The hotel was not busy. I have to also call to get toilet paper because they forgot to replace it. On top of that it is in the middle of nowhere.

All in all didn't enjoy my stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mooncake0709
BCH0tel, General Manager at Borneo Cove Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Mooncake 0709,

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We apologize that you were woken up so early. The issues that you brought up have been looked into and we have reminded our associates to be more considerate and alert so as to provide better service to all our guests.

Thank you for your invaluable feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

An American motel style place positioned on a busy(ish) road into Sandakan, so a bit loud. Pleasant staff on the front desk. Nasi Lemak breakfast was decent. The room was of fair size, clean and adequately fitted (e.g. good TV, but walls not especially soundproof) with a nice shower. Missus understandably a bit underwhelmed, but at around 110RM this represented decent value for a one night stopover.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TonyMoon14
BCH0tel, General Manager at Borneo Cove Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear TonyMoon14,

Thank you for having chosen Borneo Cove Hotel as your accommodation during your short visit to Sandakan.

Thank you also for your sincere feedback which we have taken into consideration in order to improve our service to our guest. We hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you and your lovely wife again in the future.
Morpeth, Australia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I really didn't enjoy my time at this hotel. I relied on TripAdvisor for my my bookings on my holiday and in this case was disappointed. Firstly, it's out of town on highway. Near nothing, you can't walk anywhere, boring. They also had poor wifi. Didn't work in rooms, which was pretty inconvenient given the location. I expressed my disappointment about the location and wanted to cancel the second night, they said I could but would charge me... Well that doesn't work. They did offer a free buffet dinner that night to make up for it, which was quite good.

On food, it comes with breakfast which unfortunately was pretty ordinary. The second morning. I ordered boiled eggs and toast. After half an hour, I got stale bread and baked beans and jam..? I asked after my eggs. They went away and came back 5 mins later with undercooked, still clear, eggs. I sent them back. They came again with undercooked eggs. This happened three times! I left without breakfast..

I had asked for a quiet room off street. I never got this initially so I asked to change. They put me in a room at back away from street which was dark with no window but I thought at least it would be quiet. It wasn't! Both nights I had young people going past room laughing talking loudly (apparently students that stay there) at all hours of the morning. Worst sleep ever.
Also they don't offer a laundry service. You haven't do your own in laundromat. Like you have time on holidays!
Staff friendly but the place definitely needs improvement!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank KylieP23
BCH0tel, General Manager at Borneo Cove Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Kylie,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. We’re sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Nevertheless, we are looking into the matters mentioned in your TripAdvisor review and the HOD of the areas in question have been informed accordingly. Rest assured it is our policy to ensure our staff goes all out to make our guest stay comfortable and enjoyable. We hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again or assist you in any way should you decide to visit this part of the world again.

Once again many thanks for having chosen Borneo Cove Hotel, and for your sincere feedback.
Toronto, Ontario, カナダ
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This is a great hotel in transit. Comfortable, clean, flat screen TV, great rain shower, great staff. The buffet breakfast is also wonderful. For 95 RM.... you can't go wrong! A little far from downtown, but there is very cheap local buses that can take you there for less then 15 minutes.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear canadiangirl7907,

Thank you for staying with us and I appreciate you are taking time to share the feedback on the hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, food and the service from my team. I will be sure to pass on your kind words and your experiences, to our team members.

Again, thank you for the feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Borneo Cove Hotel when you next return to Sandakan.
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed here recently and the rooms are basic but clean. We did however have no hot water but once we notified staff this was quickly fixed. Staff were extremely friendly and always happy to assist. As long as you are aware this is a basic budget hotel I am sure you will be happy.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BayLodge
Dear BayLodge

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and the service from my team. I will be sure to pass on your kind words and your experiences to our team members.

Thank you for the feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Borneo Cove Hotel again.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Having visited Sandakan many times over the last several years it was quite pleasing to find this Hotel. The staff having completed their training at the attached Hospitality Institute were very keen to please.The GM Judy Goh was approachable and took on board any concerns we had, so if you are visiting Sandakan you could do a lot worse than staying here.

Room Tip: Ground floor, close to front of Hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jimbo1302
Dear Jimbo1302,

Thank you for staying with us and I appreciate your feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, my team members and I look forward to welcoming you back to Borneo Cove Hotel when you next visit Sandakan.
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, thinking of extending one more night, but we dont have more time for this part of Sabah/Borneo. The personal was great ! Some of them was not speaking english good, but there was always more people at reception to help you about any information about Sandakan or Borneo. One evening we've received phone call from reception, informing us about soccer match (english language) in the restaurant "Hello sir, we would like to invite you to watch this match, we are preparing right now big screen LCD and I will be happy to inform you about 30% discount in our bar for this match... ". As we aren't big fans of watching soccer/TV (especially on a holiday), this service really surprised me. I will stay there again, even the location is not perfect (it's close to big road) - but the cleanliness and service was really perfect ! (On the checkout they advised us where to stop on the way to Mt. Kinabalu - our destination after Sandakan). Thanks again !

Room Tip: Try to ask for room not close to the road (not sure they have it)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple