“A trip down memory lane”

Ranked #8 of 29 things to do in Sandakan
Cairns, Australia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“A trip down memory lane”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is my second visit to Angus Keith's house. I spent some of my child hood growing up in it so I have a little biased view on the house. My father worked as A forestry Ecologist in the Forestry Department in the early 1970's late 1960's. My mother is in one of the photos on the wall as are myself and sister as little girls. Every time I visit so many memories come rushing back to me that shape who I am.

I think it is a welcome surprise for a visit. In Australian Dollars it is not expensive by any means. The house is symbolic of a colonial time with its high ceilings. It has been beautiful preserved and looked after. A long history stepping back to earlier time to the invasion of the Japanese and more recently. It at the time was a house that had many tales to it and I believe still does. The artefacts are symbolic of the period and time of the house. It is beautifully maintained and is looked after with pride.
A must visit indeed. One to be enjoyed. Then a potter on for a refreshing drink at the lovely English Tea house.
If your not in to local history and the past gone by then you might not enjoy it however if you are it gives a little insight into some ones life that was so interesting at the time.

Visited May 2014
3 Thank ningaloo2006

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Agnes Newton Keith, Greatest writer of British North Borneo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Try to visit the place, the greatest writer of pre independence of Malaya. She was still great when she moved with husband to Libya and so on. Her house is haunted, I can feel the energy when I visited recently. The apparitions might be real even she claimed to have seen it. A view to Sandakan port from her house and just a stone throw from her house which is a museum now is the English Breakfast house. Catch the view from the port from here!

Visited April 2014
Nha Trang, Vietnam
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Not worth it”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

There is not all that much relating to the author here other than a few signs. All the "artefacts" seem to be randomly sourced pieces of various timeframes.

Visited April 2014
Labuan Island, Malaysia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Maintenance ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

When I was there, the site was under maintenance. I just can go around the house. The place is very well maintained.

Nearby, we found English tea house restaurant which is no.1 rank restaurants in sandakan.

WA
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Lovely house with some history”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Great story with lots of information and references to the past. Great to see a lovely old house restored.

Visited May 2014