“Worth visiting Sandakan just to stay here - It's that good.”

Sabah Hotel Sandakan
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Sandakan
Reviewed 17 August 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed here for just 1 night as we were moving on after visiting Sepilok Orangutan centre. The hotel claims to be the only 4* hotel in Sandakan although having stayed there I don't really understand why it's not a 5*. The staff are incredibly helpful, polite and efficient, the facilities are excellent, including tennis and squash courts, a gym and even it's own nature trail, and our room was very large with a really comfortable bed. We had a lovely view over the pool and gardens behind it although we were only on the 4th of 7 floors.

The restaurant served both set meals and a buffet with a wide variety of choice and the food was really good. The entertainment was limited, consisting of a duo who serenaded the diners (a little embarassing) as we ate our evening meal in order to drum up an audience for their performance in the bar later. We went up there afterwards and found ourselves in the audience of six. Intimate!

We were really sad to leave after only one night and found ourselves thinking of excuses to visit Borneo again for a week or two just so we could stay here the whole time. Considering we live half way round the world I think that tells you everything about this hotel. The value for money here is unbeatable and you should definately stay here.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
7  Thank alimac77

Reviewed 18 July 2008

Tour with Titan Hitours - Borneo Adventure - March 2006

This was the last hotel we stayed in on our Borneo trip. This is a great hotel, the entrance well maintained.
The staff are very friendly.
Rooms are really good size.
The pool area fab!
The restaurant good choice of food breakfast, lunch and dinner

Would definitely stay here again 10/10

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank newlife_downunder
Reviewed 21 May 2008

If you are staying in Sandakan we recommend this hotel ,having made the mistake of first booking the Sandakan hotel and changing to this hotel, the Sabah Hotel was heaven , a very nice entrance to this hotel set on top of a hill in a rain forest setting,with the pool set in the centre of the hotel ,a good restaurant and a nite club serviing cocktails and alcoholic drinks ( some hotels in this area do not serve alcohol being muslim ),The hotel has clean spacious rooms with good sized marble bathrooms and the staff helpful and friendly

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank lanaQueensland
Reviewed 4 May 2008

We stayed at the Sabah hotel for 3 nights as as base to visit the wildlife sights in Borneo. Although the hotel is a little tired in some areas (toilets, restaurants) it is by far the best option if you want to stay in Sandakan before or after a tour. It's location is a little out of town (which is a good thing!) though you can walk to the town in about 15 minutes. The rooms have been redecorated recently and are large, with large bathrooms including both bath and separate shower. The pool area, though in need of an upgrade in certain areas, is relaxing, and there are slides for the kids to play on. The gym is quite small but hardly anyone was using it when we were there so there was always enough equipment to go around. The food in the restaurant is expensive for the area, and while ok, we enjoyed that at the English Tea House up the road much better. The staff at the Sabah hotel are friendly and went out of their way to help us whenever we needed anything. If you need to stay in Sandakan, this hotel is definitely the best choice!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank kateSingapore
Reviewed 17 April 2008

We stayed here on our way to Sepilok, I booked through an online agent on a no cancellation policy costing me 40 pounds sterling per night. I thought this was good value. The breakfast was very good with a large selection. The hotel itself is clean and has a nice pool area. There is little to do in Sandakan so we spent a lot of time by the pool. Sandakan is also not especially attractive and fortunately this hotel is located on a hill out of the city centre (about a 10 minute walk or cheap taxi ride).

The hotel could do with some refurbishment as the décor is a bit 70’s but the room was comfortable and well equipped. There was entertainment in the evenings which we avoided but which seemed to please lots of guests.

There is a café called the rainforest café which serves fresh bread sandwiches, trust me, after 2 weeks in Borneo eating ‘plastic’ bread this was heaven!

The hotel has a well equipped gym.

I would recommend this hotel and think it is probably the best in Sandakan.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Les_vacances
Reviewed 23 August 2007

Stayed here as a necessity for one night as part of a trip to rainforest. Rooms not bad at all, quite comfortable. Amadeus bar was great fun - resident singer was awesome in a 80's cheesy way - don't remember the last time I danced to footloose. Actually I probably haven't. Breakfast buffet was pretty basic (no coffee!!). Location a few miles out of town but taxis are cheap and on hand. As with previous posters, fly in and out same day if possible, you can easily do all you need in one day. From Sandakan airport to KK choose seats on RIGHT side of plane for views of Mount Kinabalu (opposite on reverse journey natch).

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank gilesc89
Reviewed 17 May 2007

Before leaving KK for three days in Sandakan locals questioned me why I was staying over there as all can be seen in one day. Most travellers fly in and out the same day I found out. I now understand why. The town of Sandakan is not a safe place to be with little to see. Many illegals from the Philipiness and Indonesia. There are gangs about and it is only the unwise who venture out at night. I stayed at the Sabah hotel as advised to be the best. Very average as was the food. Upon going for dinner at the main restuarant I was confronted by the Matre de. You cannot drink alcohol in the restraurant, If you want Alcohol you must dine outside. This ment out with the night insects and not inside with airconditioning. This all appears to be a bit racial. Muslims inside with the air con and the rest out in the scrub. As I was not intending to drink grog with my dinner I was allowed to dine in the saftey of the glassed in restaurant. Showen my table I moved to the buff and made a selection and then sat down at the table to dine. Much to my astonishment there was a stand up card on the table advertising the weeks special cocktail containing tequila ect. Alcoholic drinks advertised in the restaurant that has signs saying you cant ! These cards were on every table within the room. They stayed on the table for the three nights I was there. Not good enough Sabah. Room large but very run down. The small jungle walk closed because of slip but looked like they just did not want to tidy it up. The effort and friendlyness of staff a BIG rasberry. Very unusual for Malaysia.
Orangs at the sanctuary a waste of time. Better views in a zoo. People people people. The money going somewhere but I can't see where. Better at Rasa Ria KK. Will not waste photo.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled solo
3  Thank Waikatosflyingkiwi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandakan
Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan
#22 of 33 in Sandakan
Hotel Sandakan
Hotel Sandakan
#8 of 33 in Sandakan

Been to Sabah Hotel Sandakan? Share your experiences!