I have broken this review into 4 parts: the accommodation; the diving/centre; the food; the turtles.
The room that we stayed in was very spacious and very comfortable! There were 3 beds (a queen, a double and a single) and heaps of room in between. There was also a spacious beach facing balcony. The ensuite was also spacious, but the bracket for the hand shower would not stay in a position to be able to shower under and the toilet seat was cracked and pinched :(
The diving was very impressive! The gear was a bit old, holey wetsuits, leaking BCDs. We were also diving with a "junior open water" and the dive master didn't seem initially to grasp the importance of the limits for this age and selected dive site that were up to 20m. The last 2 dive sites were much more appropriate at 9m so our son was able to view the reef more closely and we were able to relax and enjoy the dive more.
The food and dining area were exemplary!! They have built a large pagoda style dining/lounge area over the water with some glass floor areas for wild life watching. The food was amazing, every meal was delicious!!
The turtles: The island hosts a significant turtle research sanctuary and will alert interested guests to nesting and hatching activities. We had the pleasure of 2 hatchings during our stay. Each hatching was accompanied with some explanation about the turtles and the process. Guests have an opportunity to "adopt a nest" and are also alerted and sent photos when their nest hatches. The turtles are obviously comfortable with the island and its inhabitants as we enjoyed watching 3 turtles foraging bellow the dining pagoda while we dined.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A jewel like tiny island in the Sulu Sea, an hour and a half boat rides north of Sandakan; Lankayan has been declared part of an immense Marine Protected Area to adopt the eco-tourism concept. Unpopulated and covered by thick tropical island vegetation on its topside, this peaceful, untouched little bit of paradise is ringed by an endless pure of white sandy beach, offering simply elegant and exquisite accommodation. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Lankayan Island Dive Hotel Sandakan
- Lankayan Island Dive Sandakan
- Lankayan Island Dive Resort Sandakan, Sabah, Malaysia