Stayed for 3 nights. Afternoon arrival day is orientation dive , thereafter one can join up to 3 dives / day . Dives done in those days were ok - not spectacular , but then there still many many more sites I couldn't check out. Dive team did a great job by accommodating our young daughter by seasoned team member (most members rather young). She'd a turtle sighting while diving on each of her 4 dives. Most dive trips armed security (stationed on island ) also attending but it's not intruding. Nice snorkeling also from dive center possible (next to boat trip offered). Night dives not possible for security reasons at moment.
Lodging was no. 12 "on the beach" with seagrass field shorlty outside (snorkeling with turtles "guaranteed"). Inside rather dark , spacious . Sunrise view from veranda / open doors to wake up. Restaurant for sunsets . Food fine. Employees very friendly and helpful.
As to be expected it's clean all over the place . There's a "exhibition" with info on eco system especially the turtles. Walk around island takes 15-20 min ; sunset side of island basically green (accommodation free) . We'd a lovely stay and hope to be back some day again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A jewel like tiny island in the Sulu Sea, an hour and a half boat rides north of Sandakan; Lankayan has been declared part of an immense Marine Protected Area to adopt the eco-tourism concept. Unpopulated and covered by thick tropical island vegetation on its topside, this peaceful, untouched little bit of paradise is ringed by an endless pure of white sandy beach, offering simply elegant and exquisite accommodation. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Lankayan Island Dive Hotel Sandakan
- Lankayan Island Dive Sandakan
- Lankayan Island Dive Resort Sandakan, Sabah, Malaysia