Gem Island Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Qimi Chalet(Pulau Kapas)
  • Restaurant
Kapas Island Resort(Pulau Kapas)
  • Pool
Prinzpark Terengganu(Kuala Terengganu)
  • Restaurant
TY Hotel(Kuala Terengganu)
View Hotel
Seri Indah Resort(Kuala Terengganu)
  • Beachfront
Permai Park Inn(Kuala Terengganu)
View Hotel
Batu Burok Beach Resort(Kuala Terengganu)
  • Pool
Primula Beach Hotel(Kuala Terengganu)
View Hotel
All reviewsbaby turtlespulau kapaswater villafishthe east coastmain beachthe reefsturtle conservationpeace and quietlong weekendclear waterno electricityblack tipped reef sharkshideaway villarooms are comfortableview from the balconywater pressure
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I have booked this hotel online as I saw the photos and the trip adviser reviews, however, when I reached there I noticed there was no electricity in the entire hotel, when I asked the reception they said the electricity shut off every day from 2:30 till 5:30 pm. I did not know about that fact and I argued with them why you did not state that in your website!! the girl who works in the reception did not know the answer, however, as you compare with the price that you pay, you should expect a full service but in that hotel is NOT!!! , the rooms is just basic apart from the amazing view which is the beauty of the nature.. Another horrible issue is the BREAKFAST, it is extremely poor, and basically worthless.. so there is no any difference between that hotel and the basic rooms on the Kapas Island which much more cheaper.. The conclusion, this hotel is not valued of the money you pay...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Muayad82
Reviewed 6 July 2013

After reading all the reviews, I was expecting something really amazing and to be honest I was a little bit disappointed - more so on the upkeep of the resort than anything else. When we got into the room, there were bugs in the sink and it was quite dirty. For me, a clean bathroom / sink can really make or break my trip, so I already felt a bit 'urghh' when it came to there. Also, some of the towels had some yellowish stains on them. The room was quite nice, but the mosquito netting surrounding the bed had holes in it. I think this resort really just purely needs to upkeep and maintain itself and it would be great. Right now, it's looking a little lacklustre.
Food i would say is average and lacks a little bit of variety - and for those taking the full board package, you don't get a drink, only water, which I find quite stingy!
What i liked most was when we kayaked out to Pulau Kapas which is just opposite this island, the sand there is much softer and the beach is very quiet and the water very pretty! Snorkeling was ok, but not great, I didn't see anything particularly wow.
It was a nice holiday but I was expecting much more out of it given the rave reviews. Also, a few people mention that it is not too much worth the money you're paying - I'm inclined to agree to this since the upkeep of the place is really not there. Other than that, it's a nice place to get away and relax from the hustle and bustle of the city.
There is really nothing to do at all, and the turtle conservation bit is a total con job - just a sandy patch in the garden. I was quite disappointed with this.
Oh, but it's very nice to lie on the hammocks provided overlooking the sea - and there are actually two beaches here, not one (one beach is right by the entrance where you will see, but the second beach is at the very other end). A lot of people don't know about the other beach, all you need to do is walk all the way to the other end and that beach is very quiet with nice sand.

Room Tip: I was in villa 19, and I honestly think there is a ghost in there! I woke up in the middle of the night with a really bad feeling that there was a presence in the room. But my boyfriend was sleeping very happily throughout the night so maybe it's just me.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

We love it here. Everything is done efficiently and with a great warm smile. The room is clean and airy. Love the view of the island in front of our balcony and watch the fishes swimming just outside at high tide. The service is excellent and everything we are asked for is answered within 10 mins. A special thanks to arjun who serve all our food with a warm smile. Definitely going back again for a longer stay. 3 days 2 nights is not enough for me. Love the sea and friendly ppl there !

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank susanyong
Reviewed 1 July 2013

My family booked a water villa (given room 12) and had a good time at the resort for 2 nights. The trip to the island via the speed boat was no hassle and done within 10 minutes. Check in was simple and fast. The room is spacious with king sized bed, day bed and a balcony (from which we could look at fishes which swam by). Only thing to take note is that the water pressure is low and the air-conditioner is not that strong (luckily there is a ceiling fan). There is power cut off from 2.30 to 5.30 pm., the best thing to do is to venture out to the porch outside the restaurant area which is quite breezy or sit at the balcony of the room to look at the scenery and fishes that swim by. Food served at the restaurant is nice except that there are lots of houseflies once the food are served.

The most memorable part of the stay is getting close to the sea creatures. The water is clear and we need not wade too far into the sea to experience the wonder of the underwater world - we saw clown fish, rainbow fish, corals, sea cucumbers and even sea urchin. There is a turtle nursery where guest can learn more about the conservation effort done by the resort.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank BusymummyJR
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Here We had one of most beautiful experiences in Malaysia!
If you are looking for a wonderful paradise to spend some days in, there you go!
Amazing context of Pulau Gemia and Pulau Kapas, our kids loved baby turtle nursery beside kids pool, we were lucky and assisted to baby turtle release and turtle eggs unclenching in the sand.
What I saw years before in documentary on TV, was our kid's funny activity in support to Staff.
Staff was awsome, special thanks to Chef de Cuisine and Turtle Project Manager!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family