“Poor.”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Pulau Kapas
Taichung, Taiwan
“Poor.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

I made the mistake of booking a 3day/2night package from a tour operator in Kuala Terrenganu. It was very over-priced. The rooms were spacious chalets made of wood but 20-30 metres from the beach, the food provided was buffet (except one lunch which was prepared from the previous nights leftovers because of the lack of guests on the day, in fact only one other couple were staying here). During the few days i stayed here i had a few problems with it:

1. It seemed that there was a set amount of food made everyday. The hours were set up and it was a buffet. One nights dinner i arrived at 7.30pm (the dinner is served at 7.00pm- until 8.00pm) and there was no food left except rice. When i approached a staff member he told me there wasn't anymore food at the resort. Breakfasts was terrible.

2. I'm not suggesting that everyone should speak English and i enjoy trying to get my message across when i'm travelling using smiles and charades, but the staff generally avoided my questions and i was passed onto to one guy who did speak English in which he answered every question with "of course", would go back to his laptop and then forget about my request.

3. The package included a snorkling trip. We went to the boat jetty point on time and then waited an hour. I went back to the resort to find "of course" and he told me to go back and wait and he will sort it out. Half an hour more later, a boat showed up, nothing was said to us, when i asked about the snorkling trip the skipper said they have to refuel first. not a problem, they refueled and i waited....then they disappeared. It had now been two hours. I went back to "of course" he put on a little "i'm furious" act, stormed over to a back area of the resort, i followed and there was the skipper and his mates smoking. So we finally got on the trip, the snorkling was nice, except the skipper was feeding the fish. The trip was supposed to be for two hours yet after about 40 minutes the skipper said we needed to go because there was a lightening storm coming (the skies were a beautiful azure blue and the sun was as searing and clear as any day i had been in Malaysia)......dramatic change of the weather within the tropics huh.

4. We had organised with the resort that we wanted to take the ferry back to Marang at 1230pm. I had spoken to the English speaking member of staff three times (learn from your mistakes) to confirm this. Again, we were waiting an hour. I went back to the resort, just to check and was told the usual to go back and wait. Another 30 minutes passed. I went to get drinks at the restaurant near to the jetty and the owner asked me what time my ferry was, i told him and he said he would do me a favour and call the boat operator to check. I was then told by this friendly guy that no one at the Kapas Island Resort had called! 20 Minutes later my ferry arrived to take us the 20 minutes back to the mainland.

Now, i'm a backpacker and i'm used to buses not turning up, itineraries ruined, countries running on times that are foreign to us westerners, and i've stayed in many run-down guesthouses and i consider it part of the experience and expect it when im only spending 10-15 pounds a day with no complaints but the fact of the matter is I went here with my girlfriend and i paid 450RM per person for the 3 day package at this place and it just wasn't good enough.

Although everything was sorted out pre-hand i would suggest that you just take the ferry over independently and check out the other places to say on the island. One place just to the left (as you get off the boat) of the jetty point had a-frame huts for a good price, a nice restaurant and very friendly people running it (the guy who sorted out my return ferry managed here). On a couple of occasions we ate here even they we had already paid for our buffet at a resort Weekends are obviously busier but even then no place was fully booked, and in the week, after the Malay day trippers have left around 4pm you will practically have the island to yourself.

The island itself is pretty nice, the beaches are fairly good, although nowhere near as good as some of the others on the East Coast of Malaysia. The coral on some of the northern beaches are decent. I would suggest a one night stay in Kapas as opposed to just a day-trip as most do but make sure its not at the Kapas Island resort.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Lardylove

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Indonesian first
Reading, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

Location is all this hotel has going for it! Kapas is a beautiful, unspoilt island, but if you are planning on visiting - don't stay here! The staff are bone idle (more interested in watching TV than working) and the management couldn't care less. The swimming pool should come with a public health warning, as should the food that comes out of the restaurant! We stayed in a deluxe chalet, which wasn't sea facing as advertised, and although ok, it needed a good clean - the drawers were full of lizard poo! Not nice!

• Stayed September 2011
6 Thank Island-Luvva
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

I've stayed here with my boyfriend, cheap accommodation for a rest and relax holiday. Kapas Island not too commercialized as Redang or Perhentian so you cant see much people. Even the time i went there are only 3 couples, including ourselves. Its more likely a private island. And we met this Ketua Pulau (cant remember his name) he brought us on Island tour and Gemia island for 100MYR for two. Which is very cheap i would say. Night life nothing much, but can go to Mak Cik gemuk chalet kinda ocay with night entertainments or grap your own drinks and chill by beach side. Can also candat sotong and give to the nearby restaurant they can cook it for you. Snorkeling was amazing, good foods, and Im satisfied. Try to bring some instant foods as the retaurant not open 24hrs. Strictly not for fussy people!!!

Room Tip: Garden view/Sea view doesn't make diff. And there is a graveyard (Im not joking) !!!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maya89_10
KL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

My family and I went to Pulau Kapas with intention to have a day trip since it's close to our home at the main land. Kapas Island is a small island but its neighbour, Gem is much smaller. Some of our friends recommended to stay at Makcik Gemuk Resort but it's not to our liking. We prefer Gem Island Resort but save it for future visit, with better preparation. When we arrived at Kapas Island jetty, the first thing that caught my eyes was the clear blue seawater and I straight away decided to stay there longer than a day. However, the small huts meant for rental in front of the area is not suitable for us. So, we checked on Kapas Island Resort with expectation that place would be nicer. It looked not so bad from outside and I could tolerate its look as if abandonded resort. We were given quite cheap rate for a Garden view room with 1 queen bed and 1 single bed with breakfast. I felt pity when kids excited to play at the swimming pool but considering that we could swim at much bigger & better pool at the beach, that small pool is nothing.
Our room is acceptable but I can't stand the toilet. I like chalet verandah and place to hang our wet suits. AC fuctioning well and we didn't switch it off at all during our stay even when we were outside. When I looked back, the only reasons I could tolerate with this place were the locality close to jetty, the beautiful beach, easy to buy food and drink at the food stall next to jetty & also it was not crowded. For good standard resort room like other resorts, you could go to Gem Island Resort. Since it was not crowded, easy to use hotel facilities like kayak, tent etc as long as you like.
Since it's moonsoon season on January, the sea waves became so bad at night. We were stranded in this resort and it felt like we were totally lose connection with other accommodations in that island. The walking path in between this resort and nearby food stall were dark and almost covered by big waves. It such a terrible night and I swear I'll never stay there again, or let my family member go there, especially during monsoon season. However, my brother and I took the courage to buy food at the food stall since we hate resort food. We followed the path in front of abandoned public toilet and the hilly formation.
From my observation, this resort became so quiet at night since all neighbouring resorts have been abandoned. Something need to be done so that Kapas Island Resort won't follow the same situation. Makcik Gemuk Resort is the most 'lively' resort at Kapas Island and I love its beach. We spent most of our time there during daytime, but I'm not sure whether I can sleep there. Another resort next to camping area also had nice ambience.
In this review, I also share a nice sunset photo taken from camping area in Kapas Island. Another photo taken at the back of this island, facing Gem Island. For safety reason, don't go there alone when it's getting dark. If you wanna stay overnight in Kapas Island Resort, my advise is to bring lots of food since you will be starving at night after long day swimming at the beach.

Room Tip: Room close to beach. Garden view or beach view doesn't make much difference.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank MccKL
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

Their website promises a piece of the paradise that is Palau Kapas, claiming to be a 3-4 star resort charging around AUD160 per night. Yes, it does include all meals but even that doesn't justify it, and here is why:

The resort is really really run down. Rooms are like 1 star motel rooms with very basic bathroom amenity and no hot showers. The walkway leading to the rooms are littered with rubbish and on one of the mornings we woke up to a rotting smell and discovered that there are seafood (grilled fish mostly) left over from the night before still left out openly on the carts in the courtyard. No one cleaned up after the meal, the fish was rotting under the blaring sun and flies were everywhere.

Staff are non-responsive and very reluctant to service. The food wasn't that great either. For the same price we have had much much better hotels at 5 star level else where in Malaysia.

We walked to other parts of Kapas Island and noticed there were two other accommodation options there - they were both 'backpacker' style accommodations but looked so much better, and the people staying there looked so much happier than the people staying at Kapas Island Resort!

Never again.

Room Tip: Go else where, this place is not worth it.
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SleepyCatLover
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

the stay is not recommended. Stayed for lunch which was a hot meal, but was not heated in anyway, cold hard rice is not good. After this did not eat at the "resort". Room not ready and told 15 minutes which was continually time moved out to one hour. Room basic, air con worked. Bathroom was a challenge. More than basic. A Govenment buit resort which is underlease which is due to expire, this showed as "Expired" is a good term. Sad to see this location become so run down. Gardens out the back I guess a show piece in their time are run down. All meals had at another resturant, thank goodness. Ho can this happen??

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank simba80
Marikina, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2011

Please do not book into this hotel if you are particular about cleanliness. The place is smelly, old, and rundown. We stayed here for 1 night because of a last minute decision to go to the island. I knew exactly what I was getting into because of the reviews I read in Trip Advisor. But I wanted so badly to swim in the white sandy beach. The beach makes up for the room which was just a place to sleep for us. So all in all, it was a fun time for us.

• Stayed May 2011
#6 of 34 in Kuala Terengganu
Sumai Hotel Apartment
Sumai Hotel Apartment
#17 of 34 in Kuala Terengganu

Been to Kapas Island Resort? Share your experiences!