“A great place to stay”
Review of The Reef Chalets

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pulau Perhentian Besar
The Reef Chalets
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We recently spent a most enjoyable four days at The Reef. The chalets were excellent value for money and Rashida was a delightful hostess as were her staff. All the basic requirements for a comfortable stay are here; hot water, air conditioning, wifi and a great pair of hammocks in which to relax and stay out of the sun. We would certainly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank MamaKitty2014

Reviewed 17 April 2014

The location would be ideal, "chalets" around a shaded garden, right on the beach, in between all the restaurant options, if it weren't for the view of a clear cut red clay building site (?) directly across the way on Kecil. Rooms are basic but adequate and include mosquito nets (which we didn't need) and staff are friendly and helpful. Generator noise is unfortunately a constant, and the fuel smell is sometimes overpowering. If this is likely to bother you you could ask for a room away from the generator. Hot water and cups are available in an outdoor kitchen at the back but bring your own coffee/tea as these are not provided.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank BeirutMoores
thereefpp, Owner at The Reef Chalets, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Many thanks for your positive comments and for staying with us. Just to mention that the generator heard was that of the large neighbouring resort which was under repair at that time. Our own generator cannot be heard. We are very much looking forward to the government electric supply planned to be complete by the end of the year so that there wont be these kind of happenings for our guests.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

We booked 9 rooms for 24 people which were the office staff and their spouses and kids for 3 days and 2 nights. Firstly I like to thank the management for their great hospitality, especially going at great length to fulfil our whims and fancies. All meals, breakfasts, lunches and dinners, were tailored made for us. We had local Kelantanese and Terengganu dishes, some specially brought from the main land. They even prepared a great BBQ dinner on our last night. They were awesome. The rooms were adequate, clean and value for money. The reef is perfectly located at the heart of the activities of the island. All of the activities were arranged by the helpful staff without any glitches at all. We went night fishing on small boat and a big 50' boat on daytime, and also the snorkelling trips. Definitely one of the best on the island.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My family and I stayed in a sea view bungalow for 5 nights in september 2013. Bungalow was spacious and clean, and shower was good enough. Beds not to much comfortable but after all bungalow was pretty ok. Personel was very helpful, we lost a luggage in the flight and we received it in our room the day after we arrived. Really thanks for this. Place is very quiet and close to one of the best beach in peherentian and to restaurants. The only negative point is bad smell and rumor in the back part of the resort.
Summarizing, this is definitely one of the better places on the island although next time we might opt for something different.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank sg68
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This place has ten cabinas sitting in an arc-like fashion right on the beach. There's ten more decent looking rooms, one on top of the other, behind the cabinas. The rooms are adequate, with nice porches. The staff is excellent. The real bonus at Reef Chalets is the little store beside the place, where booze, wine and beer can be bought and consumed to your heart's content. Potent potables aren't available, I don't think, anywhere else on he beach.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jack-Dru
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We spent one week in this little paradies. The Reef with its nice huts is managed very good, they organize fruits and other things from the village on Small island. We had the family suite with two spacious linked rooms including a refrigerator. The balkony lead directly to the beach. It was just perfect!

We can warmly recommend The Reef as a great spot on a great island.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank hopplasokrates
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Unfortunately, I recently had a terrible time trying to make a booking with The Reef Chalets. After waiting for over 2 months for their booking office to open, I managed to make a booking via e-mail. Like many travelers to the Perhentians, we are not Malaysian. We were asked to make a cash transfer into their account, which was not possible for us from our home country without incurring very hefty fees. I kindly asked if it would be possible for us to give our credit card details, and was told no. I then asked if I could make a PayPal payment (which is possible to do even without the resort having a PayPal account, they just need to advise PayPal of their banking details when they get the mail), again I was told no. I even send a very nice e-mail explaining how to use PayPal without an account, which honestly, couldn't be easier. My e-mails were just ignored and never responded to. I then offered to make payment to one of the neighbouring resorts and they could perhaps arrange to get the payment from them, surprise surprise, the answer was no. I then even managed to find a travel agent that is specifically appointed by The Reef Chalets and thought that my worries were over. I told the agent that our rooms were booked but that I needed to make payment. They contacted The Reef Chalets and advised them that we had contacted them and would be making payment to them....and believe it or not, Reef said no, they would not allow that. We must cancel our booking with them and then book afresh through the travel agent but we must bear in mind that as soon as we cancel our rooms, they will give them to someone else, and there won't be any rooms for us. I couldn't believe the disgusting service. Seriously, I found the whole process shocking, uncooperative and not worthy of support. I really do believe that when you are in the hospitality industry you need to try and make a little bit of effort with people, especially like in our case where we went out of our way to make it easy for the resort. It is clear that The Reef Chalets is not interested in the business of foreigners. I would take my money elsewhere. Unfortunately for us, because we spent so much time trying to work something out with The Reef we lost the ability to book at our second and third choice! Lesson learnt I guess, but seriously, if you are not Malaysian, think twice before giving this place your business!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kim E
thereefpp, Owner at The Reef Chalets, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Kim,
We are very sorry to see how very upset you are about the booking process .I checked all the emails from your first on 23rd Dec & my staff also had briefed me when the Reef opened end January.[ the Reef closes end of October however emails are checked and the hand phone is answered]. The root problem I saw for you was accepting the fees that you would have to pay for a bank deposit transfer. Unfortunately this is our system at the moment & most guests accept it and are pleased that they have a secure booking. We don't use pay pal as it is expensive for small businesses like ours. We are trying to make booking payments easier now for guests as we want it to be easier and cheaper. We cannot have bookings with no deposit as you requested as it is high season & it is also not fair for only some people as all pay bank fees. The agent you later contacted is not our agent as you said but an independent one who gets a commission. Bookings thru agents are fine but they have to be direct by the guest not asking us to be the go between as you suggested especially as the agent takes a commission so it is confusing. I am sorry there was no reply to your last email. The staff did not know what else to say. Next time if I am aware that there is a difficulty to explain like this I will write directly to guests. I will also ensure that all mails are answered. We love having international guests staying with us and 80% of our guests are such. Our number 1 aim is for guests to have a wonderful time. I am sorry you don't have this chance as I can see you really tried hard to stay with us. best wishes. Rashidah Abdullah THE REEF CHALETS