The beach is stunning and the snorkelling in the coral reef just off the beach (to the left of the jetty) is amazing. We saw rays, turtles, sharks (small black-tips, not dangerous), butterfly fishes, bat fishes and so much more here. They have a diving center with very friendly staff, I tried my first dive ever with them and it was totally amazing.
The hotel itself has nice, but aging bungalows, the hotel garden is beautiful and there is a nice pool for those who would need it. Our three year old kid loved it.
The restaurant serves great food.
The hotel is surrounded (except for the beach side) by jungle and you can expect to see wild monkeys (dusky leaf monkey, super cute species), one-and-a-half-meter-sized monitor lizards, white bellied sea eagles, flying foxes and many more animal species at, or just outside, the hotel premisses.
There is a jungle trail leading from this hotel to another side of the island (flora bay). It takes some 45 minutes to walk and it is really nice. Dont forget insect repellent, though.
Be sure to visit the beautiful and quiet turtle beach - the most beatiful beach on the island, according to the locals. Its not far from the hotel, just take a boat taxi there and be sure to book your return trip in advance.
One drawback - this is one of the most expensive hotels on the island. The hotel just beside it is cheaper, but seemed to be very nice. That hotel also has very close access to the coral reef and nice beaches.
All in all, if you like nature and wildlife, this is nothing short of a paradise. The hotel itself is not the best, but the beach, nature and surroundings are stunning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perhentian Island Resort is an ideal beach resort for a leisurely family vacation in Malaysia. Surrounded by lush greenery, facing white sandy beaches and a warm blue sea, Perhentian Island is a holiday paradise not to be missed. Perhentian Island, or Pulau Perhentian as the locals call it, is well known as a marine paradise and forms a parts of the National Marine Park of Malaysia. In the surrounding areas of Perhentian Island Resort, you will find many things to see and do. Take a jungle trek up the hills under a canopy of large trees, and you might see wild magpies, giant fruit bats or the Nicobar pigeon. Perhentian Island lies along the flight path of this migratory bird. You might also see the harmless monitor lizard or even the unique lutong monkey species. The nearest jungle trail is less than 100 metres away from our resort. Or gather your family and head to the inviting sea for a swim. For those who enjoy snorkelling or scuba diving, the Resort is strategically located, fronting a coral-rich bay. The marine ecosystem of this area is well documented and held in high regards by snorkellers and scuba divers. If you come between June and September, you might get lucky and see giant green turtles laying eggs along the beach. Enjoy your next family holiday at this paradise beach resort, where reality is like a dream. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Perhentian Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Perhentian Island Hotel Pulau Perhentian Besar
- Perhentian Island Pulau Besar