“watercolours / perhentian paradise resort”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Perhentian Paradise Resort
Reviewed 17 July 2013

This is the second time I took an accommodation/diving package with this company. The first time I was on a big budget, so I didn't mind the faults so much (although I did change my initial given room as there was a big hole in the floor which a mouse poked its head through as I watched!!)

Unfortunately for me, I didn't remember that it was such bad quality/condition there. The cabins are really old, run down, shabby and have rotting wood and holes all through them. Cockroaches! A constantly dripping shower meant a constantly wet bathroom floor. The sheets felt damp all the time. Not a pleasant feel to the cabin at all. No electrical sockets you can use in the cabins.

The restaurant service was very slow and often they were out of many menu choices. No chance of a hot drink before 8am. My friend and I got served our meals ONCE at the same time, out of 5 days, 3 meals a day, ordering at the same time.

I advise checking your bill thoroughly before you pay...leave time for it as you're checking out. Bad planning for me meant I was out of time as I went to pay the balance, and just gave it all a cursory check. Once I got home and went through it properly, I see I've paid too much balance, though it's not enough to go to the trouble of getting back to them for a refund. Disappointing!

On the positive side, the dive team, their service, equipment and day to day running of the dive shop is fantastic!!!! Couldn't fault them!

Room Tip: Dive with them, but stay next door at Mama's or The Reef.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 6 April 2013

Booking of this stay was quite prompt and polite via email.

The Watecolours' office on the mainland at Kota Besut was actually horrible. Upon arrival we were met by an elderly man smoking inside the office and at this point we not really sure of what the next steps were and how we actually get to the water taxi to the island. We also we had to arrange our return taxi from this office to the airport the office representative quoted us 75MYR and when we challenged the price (as we only paid 60 MYR) to get here, the office representative said that is the price and that is final - so obviously we paid. We were then walked by another man for about 5 minutes through the town to the water taxi collection area. The water taxi was also quite an experience, we were RAMMED on a small boat with everyone's luggage and other 12 other people. The journey took about 45 minutes, of which we were sitting on a broken seat and as the boat was at full speed across choppy water, you'd imagine any fun we initially felt for this experience was soon marred with the feeling of discomfort as the broken wooden seat was jabbed into your back. After the journey we stopped about 50 meters from the shore and were asked to throw ourselves and luggage onto another boat moored and we waited until another smaller boat collected us and took us to shore. Check in in was fine, staff seemed pleasant, their English quite good. The bungalows were very hot, but the windows had bars and fly screens so you could leave them open. They were in major need for repair and inside the brown walls made it very dark and when I opened one of the curtains to let some light in, one of them fell straight off the rail. The bathroom in our bungalow consisted of a standard toilet next to that was a shower with cold water only (online it was advertised as hot and cold). The bathroom walls were very moldy, overall the bathroom very dark and dingy. The rooms consisted of a double bed and bunks. The pillows themselves were dirty and the bed covers were quite basic and not the best - no top sheet, just a random synthetic type throw which in very hot climates was awful. The view from the balcony was quite nice and you could see the ocean through the gardens directly in front of the bungalows. There was also an air conditioner and a fan and one power point which gave me electric shock every time I used it. We also did not receive any clean towels or linens during our stay (and we were there for 5 nights).We also wouldn't recommend using their laundry service as some of my clothes are not the same again, necks stretched etc. There is wifi but often didn't work and is only accessible from the restaurant. The restaurant also was very overpriced and staff very disorganized. We often ate at other restaurants nearby who offered better quality food at far cheaper prices. At the end of our stay and once back at Kota Besut and their land office, we had another argument with their representative as he tried to give us a taxi to the airport that was barely roadworthy, this car was very shotty and had no a/c - something that was not acceptable for the price we had paid.

Overall – we knew that it was basic accommodation and did have a great time but we would not stay there again and sadly not recommend it.

1  Thank 501RyanB501
Reviewed 4 April 2013

If you're dying to see cochroaches in all the different sizes this is the place for you. You can go cochroach spotting in their "Sea view chalet" aka rotten sheds where you might see a glimpse of the water behind the wall of the Souvenir Shop. You'll be sure to hear their cute little feet running over the floor....

Seriously this place is bad! Very poor facility with a strong smell of urine from the bathroom and big holes in the concrete wall. These holes works as a base for the cochroaches and they will surelly appear when it's getting dark. Like many people before us has written the staff was really helpfull and when we discovered our little friends they quickly provided us with a pure malaysian bug spray. Unfortunally the cockroaches were too big and they just wouldn't die and instead fled their holes in pure panic and started running everywhere including on our bags and shoes. The cockroaches won the battle and we had to request for another chalet. The staff were trying to help us but there were cockroaches there too. We then got a bunker like room behind the Diving Center which fortunally didn't have any bugs but instead all the walls were covered in mould. At 22 pm we decided that this was the best alternative.

1  Thank Cassimino
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Unfortunately we had pre booked to stay here. The cabin was disappointing. It was in poor condition, the exterior wood work eaten with bore worm, the bathroom tired and the ceiling sagging and with gaps - a cochroach dropped on me one night! There was no electricity during the day, they were conserving their fuel for the generator, but that was no problem for us.
But the worst was the bed, so hard we never got a clear night's sleep in our three nights there.

The breakfast service at the cafe was good and our evening meal too. A few words of basic Malay worked wonders and brought out many a smile. I felt sorry for the young staff, who were clearly tired and doing their best.

But the beach along here has been encroached upon by concrete and cafe tables. At high tide there is just a narrow strip and at low tide it is so shallow and strewn with broken coral and rocks it is impossible to swim here; also too many boats coming and going - better to walk north and swim in next bay, which is also cleaner.

There was a rubbish bonfire nearby burning the whole time we were there and though this is a National Park sand was being taken off the beach every day. we discovered too on a kayak trip to Flora Bay that rubbish is being stored on an open boat/skip moored offshore perhaps to thwart the animals? But elsewhere there was far too much rubbish floating about and on the beaches and I am not sure how clean the seas can be with so many septic tanks.

Room Tip: Go to Flora Bay with its wide unspoilt beaches and deep, clear waters.
Reviewed 2 March 2013

This resort was better than we expected after reading some other reviews. We found the location to be outstanding, the food was great, and the staff extremely helpful and nice. Unfortunately, our reservation was one of the first after the resort reopened post-monsoon, so many menu items were unavailable. Kind of a bummer. The rooms were basic but comfortable, at 40RM/night (package deal), it was what I expected. It's NOT a luxury resort, so if you expect that, you will be highly disappointed. If you're looking for a cheap place to stay with a friendly staff, good food, and an absurdly cheap price, this is for you. Also, the dive shop was great. Petra and Assan (divemasters) were a load of fun and very knowledgable about the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2013

A perfectly situated hotel complex but crying for renovation and attention... The rooms, especially the bathrooms, were in a poor condition, and the food in the restaurant very disappointing, including the service. We quickly discovered very good food places within a few minute walk so this was not a big issue after all. The beach itself, however, was beautiful with absolutely amazing snorkeling areas that took our breaths away...

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank AgaAnd
Reviewed 16 September 2012

I write this review while standing at the reception. The service overall is bad. I am NOT writing about the restaurant but about the resort.
The service overall is unfriendly and it seems like most of the staff is tired of te long season.

The rooms are bad and not really clean. The resort itself is no clean aswell and its smelly.
I spend 4 nights at the seaview bungalows and had to move to the gardenview app. because i did not make a reservation in advance and all the other resorts where fully booked.

Both accommodations where not what i expected. The staff of the resort is really loud especially between 6:30 and 9:00.

If you want a horrible stay at the beautiful Perhentian island book this resort. If you want to have a good stay, book somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple