“Good Dive Centre but rooms......”

Watercolours Resort & Dive Centre
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Have been visiting this resort since the 90's, it was one of the best budget resort in the whole of Perhentian, strategically located with stunning views and easy accessible to Teluk Pauh area. The dive centre still provides excellent services and diving with them is a pleasure. However, the rooms really in dire need of restoration, no upkeeping work done on the room and some of it has been infested with termites. The introduction of all day long electricity is welcomed, air-cond in room is welcomed, but they should at least provide a single powerpoint for charging in current technology trend. I will still go back to the resort due to the sentimental memories I have with this resort, but do hope that restoration is done is stages to maintain the facilities.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Lim K

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

From early trip until the last day of our holiday vacay....theres no word bored in thia challet, they has provide us with amusing and advanture activities such as snorkeling, shark hunt, rafting, parachute glidding and the most moment that me and my guys can forget is we manage to catch a 200kg of Marlin.....Watercolours Resort hope to see u again and thanks for those lovely memmories....

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I wouldn't choose this resort again. Our bathroom door was hanging off and our sheets stained as well as covered in dirt. We had to ask to move bungalows as well as change and clean the room and balcony. This took almost 45 mins. This should have indicated the speed as to which things are done on the island. Waiting is fine if it is rewarded. We didn't find this at this particular resort. I believe the others are more value for money.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Old coisy chalets, but really need maintenance. Holes in the ceiling, walls. A lot of dirt over the place. Sheets were not cleaned. Personel was not really helpful nor friendly.
Location is ok, but the beach in front of the resort is not for swimming of snorkeling, it is simply too shallow and filled with coral.
OK for the price, but outdated.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Youngcoupl81
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The room we had at Watercolours was good enough - we were backpacking and planning to live fairly basically, however given the price of the place I feel some very small changes would have greatly improved the experience. For instance, a picture hanging on the wall or a cushion would have brightened the room up and made it much more welcoming. Basic repairs needed doing - holes had been plugged with tissue to keep bugs out! The balcony railing needed painting.

However, all places on this island seemed to be a similar, in fact more expensive, price to stay so Watercolours was ok for value.

The staff were not brilliant - quicker service needed and a smile (as we received in the rest of Malaysia!) would have gone a long way. Particularly slow service in the attached restaurant.

DO NOT pay extra for a seaview room - this was the biggest disappointment for us. The seaview room we paid extra for was not in fact on the beach as most other resorts were and as suggested by the hotel website, but behind a garden area. It just happened to be closer to the beachthan some of the other rooms.

We did some diving in the attached dive cente - no problems here at all, good service, smiles, knowledgable and trustworthy staff.

Room Tip: Dont pay extra for seaview - go elsewhere if you want to actually be on the seafront!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Where to begin with... it is my second time staying at this resort, Watercolours Resort at Perhentian Besar, frst time was in Sept 2009, and second time August 2013. This second time I was completely deceived by the Client Service received.
Firstly, we booked a double Chalet garden view for 3 people. My friends arrived one day before, they had no problems, when I arrived, the extra matress we booked was not yet inside the chalet, when I asked for it, they told me they would put it along the day, I had to aske once again after lunch, as I saw no extra matress in the room after my first dive and they just told me: we will put it later on, because you don't have to sleep now, or?. This was completely inadmissible as if I book for an extra matress and check-in time is at 14'00, the matress should be placed in the room around that time and not during night time, as if I never neede to lay down (as long as I am paying for a full day and not just night time). I had to ask a 3RD TIME AGAIN, as the matress was not yet placed in the room during evening time and I was obviously pretty pissed off when I had to go and ask again, they went for one inmediatly and provided with a really thin, unconfortable, dirty, crappy matress, I complained about it as the price paid for it was not exactly super cheap and was not worth the money for it, and I was told that this was the kinf of matress they would give to everyone asking for an extra one. After so, I was not provided with a towel or sheets, I had to ask for them. When I was given a towel, it was half torn, completely crappy, with a hard-not soft touch as if it had been used like a million times.
Most times we would ask for something, staff were mainly rude and would be helpful but without a smile of theirface, as if we were being annoying by just asking for favours.

No one changed towels or sheets during our 5 days stay, and/or cleaned the chalet/room at all.

We were out of toilet paper for 2 days and we had to survive with napkins from the restaurant, because they were not getting toilet paper fromt he cargo out of the island for almost 2 days and when they were provided of toilet paper, no one cared about letting us know, even though we asked for it 3 times in Reception.

I informed that the toilet flush was not working properly in Reception and they told they would send someone from maintenance to fiz it, NO ONE ever came to the room to fix it, one of us had to fix it at the end by ourselves. Completely lack of service!

Food was expensive and not very good, as we compared with Coral View Resort next to it when we had dinner there, there was a huge difference of quality in the cooking and the meal and food provided by Coral View Resort, compared to Watercolours. We would easily get stomach pain and had to visit the toilet very often after eating at Watercolours the day before, plus they never had availiability of food, you would usually ask for a meal and they would tell you it was finished, so we did not have variety of options most of the days we stayed there eating (as we had no choice because we booked a package with meals included).
The service was extremely slow, so if we needed to get breakfast and be done in half an hour because we had our first dive at 9'00 in the morning, they would take around 20 or almost 30 minutes to serve your breakfast after ordering, therefore we had to eat super fast before going to our first dive. This was also happening during lunch and dinner, so it was difficult to have a quick lunch while we were finished with our 2nd dive at around 13'30 and had to be ready for our 3rd dive at 14'30.

In the contrary, we were extremely happy with the staff of the diving centre, amazing staff expert at diving, really nice and professional people. Enormous thanks to Petra and Lee, who gave us the best experience in fun diving and the best knowledge and training at the Open Water Course for my two friends. They were welcoming and we had the nicest time with them!!

It is a shame that there is such great staff in the Dive Centre and instead the staff from the Resort is giving such bad service all in all. But next time, I would definetly NOT STAY AGAIN in there for accommodation, but will dive again at their dive center!

Room Tip: avoid this accomodation if you are looking for some service and some confortable quality of sleep. T...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 August 2013

After backpacking for many years around the world we decided to pay a little more for comfort travelling with a toddler. The accomodation was nowhere near the standard it should have been for the price. It resembled a lot of the cheapest rooms we could find in India. Some staff were overly friendly while others had no customer service skills whatsoever. Restaurant food was good but very slow and sometimes never turned up (very annoying when you have an early morning dive and want to eat first!).

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank hey_eliza001
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pulau Perhentian Besar
Perhentian Island Resort
Perhentian Island Resort
#4 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resor...
#5 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resort
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resor...
#2 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Coral View Island Resort
Coral View Island Resort
#3 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
1 mi away
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & Beach Chalet
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & B...
#8 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
BuBu Long Beach Resort
BuBu Long Beach Resort
#1 of 7 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil

Been to Watercolours Resort & Dive Centre? Share your experiences!