“Not for party go-ers”

Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & Beach Chalet
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We went to Perhentian Island last May and stay in this resort for 4 days 3 night. Arriving to this place, I am very much excited to see how beautiful the view is and how serene and peaceful the resort is. It is definitely for family and people who need calm and quiet surroundings. Just what i need for this holiday. The view from lobby is so nice as you could see the blue sea water. The room, its an ok room. Nothing special but it is comfortable although they could do better with the bed as I find it quite low. The buffet spread during breakfast, lunch and dinner for me is worthy and quite tasty. They also serving ala-carte but it is quite expensive and my suggestion take a stroll along the island you could find other restaurant a bit cheaper than the hotel. The snorkelling trip arrange by the hotel is also good although during our trip the water a bit murky as it is raining. But we still could see all the corals and fishes. It's a great experience for newbie like me. Overall, for a nice peaceful holiday I will definitely come back to this place without hesitation.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights with our 3 girls, twins of 6 and a nine year old. To enjoy this hotel you have to know what to expect. After all you've not paid a huge sum of money to be here. The staff were warm and helpful to us. The rooms are very tired and the shower is dreadful. But folks it is an island with no roads and only a boat to bring in supplies. It's an experience and one I wouldn't have missed. Yes we saw some nice beach chalets in other resorts and we had some better meals. But this hotel gave me and my family an experience. An experience exactly inline with what we paid. And an experience we shan't forget. The pool was great, cleaned every morning, breakfast was local but they had as much toasting milo as you could eat. The packaged worked, the transfers as described and on time. If you want 5 star luxury you need to up your budget. The only negative thing is the creek smells very bad if we had a room or chalet near that it would have been a different review!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jonathan G
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my family of four. We are frequent travellers and we are not difficult or demanding guests. And this hotel was OK if you come with appropriate expectations.

Don't come here to be thrilled by your room, or wowed by the friendly and caring staff....Won't happen!! You don't come here to enjoy the food (eat at the other places down the beach they are delicious!!) or decor.

The room was quite outdated and the shower is terrible (no water pressure). The shower is the entire bathroom so your stuff and everything else gets wet. While the rooms and bathroom are clean, they are so old that it feels dirty.

There is also an air freshener that sprays fragrance every few minutes, all day and night. Not healthy.

The beds are comfy and the hotel has a clothesline outside the room to dry your clothes. They regularly clean the pool and housekeeping comes daily.

The pool is huge and always busy. The beach is incredible yet there are no long chairs or other way to sit on the beach.

We went to learn scuba diving so the location was convenient for us but I would look around for another place the next time we go there. The guys at Urban Island Divers were awesome and I highly recommend them. We liked Perhentian diving better than Tioman.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I stayed in Arwarna for 4 nights.
I upgraded the room to Deluxe Sea View w/ Balcony, which I would recommend to everybody. The cottage was right on the beach and I fell asleep with sound of waves.
For the price, the rood seemed a little outdated. Breakfast was OK but not fascinating. The beach is quite and calm but if you want to swim or snorkel, I would recommend the beach on the west side or travel to Kecil’s Long Beach.
Hot water works but I didn’t really need it during my stay. Staffs were generally kind and smiling.
Perhentian is paradise. Have fun.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sangthehobo
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We had the A/C chalet which was spacey, clean and comfy. The food is not really value-for-money and the staff was friendly. My son loved the spacious pool. However, there are several nice bars and restaurants on Bezar so that visitors have a choice for where they do want to eat.

Every day jetties bring groups of tourists to the island and there is a lot of turnover in the wide and spacious hotel lobby. That can be annoying for someone who is looking to enjoy the lovely island.

The WiFi is a nightmare (too many guests using the meagre bandwidth). The beach immediately at the hotel is also not really inviting but some 300m down the shoreline it gets wider.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

Addon to the text below, I just checked out and hotel staff tried to charge me about double for my stay, its almost becoming a mr bean sketch although it feels good writing this review while in the lobby and using the hotels wifi.

Im just furious about the lack of service in this hotel. I have never written a review but i will now.
Accomodation is furthest away from everything so its nice and quiet depending on your wishes.
Breakfast buffet choice is very limited but okish and in the general hotel is just 'dated' and in need of some serious refurbishing. AC works fine but showers have such a low waterpressure a normal shower takes ages.
I would say im really a reasonable person and the above wouldnt bother me that much if it wasnt for the huge abcense of service.
My wife ordered a meal in the restaurant which was so spicy you could like the local vermin with it and they refused to make a new normal edible meal without paying for the spicy crap. Next they forgot to brink the drinks we ordered. Some very VERY noisy and drunk group of about 10 asian people kept everybody awake untill 1am without hotel staff intervening and to top it all of, next morning about 1 minute after official breakfast time all guests where 'herded' out of the restaurant area because 'sorry we are closed' how rude is that!
So recapping it all, hotel facilities 2 out of 5, service 1 out of 5.
Recommend you book another accomodation.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We, a young couple stayed here in June 2013. This hotel/resort is on the very end of the Besar island. Most of the rooms are not sea facing but are spacious and clean. Since the only source of electricity in the island is through generators, there are no kettles, toasters or fridge in the room. It is relatively far from the Long beach and coral beach. The beach in font of it is not bad but not great. If you walk to the other end if the beach you can snorkel in "shark point" which is good. It caters mostly to the Malaysian families. Food is expensive and the hotel does not sell any alcohol.

Room Tip: Don't bother having food here since there are better options down the beach