“Expensive on Hari Raya”

Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & Beach Chalet
Reviewed 12 August 2014

It was Hari Raya when we traveled to Perhentian island and we had no other hotels to resort, so we end up choosing this resort. The room was big and clean but the electricity was inconsistent. The beach will always be a good place and romantic for couples. My husband proposed at this beach, under the moonlight. I still consider this place as special but not if its Hari Raya when the rate goes up.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lenq S

Reviewed 2 August 2014

At first glance at the hotel it seemed okay but we received a dark and smelly room. For some reason a automatic air freshener was placed in the room and it smelled so bad - it might have been to cover up the fungai/water damage smell.
The hotel has a big swimmingpool, free wifi (VERY slow!!), a bar and a small shop. The shop was closed during our entire stay at Arwana so we had to walk to another resort to get water, snacks etc.
The breakfast wasn't good at all - I tried the eggs but there were eggshells in them so I kept to the bread and fruit.
Transport to and from the hotel was fast and easy - might be the only positive thing about our stay at Arwana.
Will never stay there again!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank thoholm
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Most of the hotel are fully book.i book for a four person's room, but the staff handed me a room for 3 pax. Luckily the staff admit her mistake and change the room for us. Hotel is ok, but water system in the toilet is bad, like dripping water. Cannot bathe nicely. Avoid this place if you want to enjoy nice beaches. We have to take water taxi out to tuna bay to enjoy the corals and fishes. I would'nt come to this hotel again if i were to go perhentian again. U cannot even enjoy the beaches right infront of the hotel. It's very muddy.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

The island resort comes with pool, a simple bar and a mini-market. But mini-market is not operating at all during Malay Hari Raya period which is not good for a resort, especially during super-peak season, because the guest might need to buy some necessities. All snorkeling trip were also affected somehow due to the Malay's Hari Raya, because most guides/helpers were Malay, and they need to excuse themselves earlier or delay the trips to celebrate Hari Raya. Meals were okay, though long queue with insufficient seats for super-peak season. Room service was no good, clean up my room without even replenishing the shower foam in the bathroom for my second day's stay. My advise is if you ever go to this resort, try avoiding the eve and first 2 days of Malay Hari Raya period.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Kids don't see shabby and wouldn't complain about the daily breakfast stodge. Discerning tourists would baulk at the lack of care and maintenance. There is loads of potential here with such a pretty, peaceful island where you do not get hassled and there are no crowds. Rooms are large and aircon works, otherwise in dire need of refurbishment and everything in them needs replacing due to hygiene health hazard. Given it is an island, you have to lower expectations and then you can enjoy your stay. Staff managed to keep a smiling face in spite of litanies of complaints from tourists. Do not expect TV to work as there is poor reception. WiFi just can't be fast and lucky to have it free if spasmodic.

Room Tip: Stay right away from the generator- it is loud. Rooms on upper floor and closest to the ocean are be...
1  Thank NibbanAh
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I deffinetly never go back to Arwana, but Beautiful Perhentian deserves better than this horrible place. My first impression was: did i really pay this money to get to this dirty place.
When my family and i finalt got to the island, nobody helped us carrying our luggage from the pier to the entrence of the resort? As we got our key to the room, nobody showed us the way and when i opened the door to our " Family Executive room" i was choked!!!
It was very old, dirty and smelling like a old basement.
I really would have given it a chance, but the only positive about this place is the huge svimmingpool and " Joy" in the bar in the evenings.
The breakfeast was so horrible, actually i never had any worse in Asia.
The staff was so not attendent, not serviceminded at all.
Lack of charm in every way, i may say.
Very few staff could understand english, and the few i spoke with, just didn't Care about anything.
The WIFI wasn't t exsisting for people with Appel products, only for people with Samsung smartphones.
The location was not the best on this Island, go to Perhentian Island resort to get the best location or just any other bay on the island.
The room we stayed in was filthy, dirty and inacceptable in every way, especiallly to Price you pay for it- 290 MR about 600 Danish kr. Even though 4 people can stay in there.
I complained 3 times in the reception about the cleaning conditions, but the only answer was: I will let the housekeeping know. But on the 5th day they still haven't cleaned anything else but just making the beds.
3. Time i complained the reception lady just smiled and said: I can not do anymore.
She hadn't done anything at all!!!!!
Al the staff here are very religious, wich means they dont smile and you can't get any food between 2.30 pm. And 17.00 pm. And again between 18.30 and 20.30 because of Ramadan.
But RMadan seems to affect many places on the island and the intire Malaysia.
Last advise: Don't expect same service, food and culture as in Thailand!!!
I never never go back to Arwana!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't ever choose this place,- go to Perhentin Island resort even though it is a bit more pricy.
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Pretend to be a highend hotel. Well, it's not... Service is bad - and the staff dont care about it... We got a room, that smeled so bad (fungus all over the walls), that we we could not stay there. When I asked for antother room, they siad: "oh, that room is not so good", "let me find you antoher" - afterall we got a new room - and the "bad" room was shut down.

I dont mind lower price hotels - thats actually the way i travel. But when I descide to accomodate at a high price, I do mind that things are not working. And things are absoluttely not working here. See for you self - if you like! This hotel is absolutely not recomandable

Room Tip: Dont do it... not worth it!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pulau Perhentian Besar
Coral View Island Resort
Coral View Island Resort
#3 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Perhentian Island Resort
Perhentian Island Resort
#4 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resor...
#5 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resort
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resor...
#2 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort
The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort
#2 of 12 in Pulau Redang
BuBu Long Beach Resort
BuBu Long Beach Resort
#1 of 7 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil

Been to Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & Beach Chalet? Share your experiences!