“Don't expect customer satisfaction regarding transportation booked through Bubbles, their are better options for your stay in yo”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Bubbles Dive Centre and Resort
Phuket Town, Thailand
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Visited bubbles with my girlfriend and my daughter first week in July. overall the stay was enjoyable as we were doing diving on the other island so we weren't their much. The location of resort was excellent and the food was above average for Island Food.
My satisfaction level ends there due to failure of full refund that was due me for the un-air conditioned taxi with windows that didn't roll down that we were shuffled into on way back to airport. Actually the transportation issues started at our arrival at airport where we waited with 3 other guest for 45 minutes for Van with Bubbles printed on the side. However. there was one parked in front of the 6 of us waiting. 45 minutes after our arrival, we finally left when the second Bubbles van pulled in with no additional passengers, just my party totaling 3 plus the additional 3 guys that arrived on same flight as we did.

I was prepared to be a return customer to Bubbles, however due to their lack of commitment to customer satisfaction in my case over a very small detail, I will not be back.

Larry

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank guiguy2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Maisons-Alfort, France
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We were looking for a quiet place to rest and to visit Besar but it was the real opposite!

When we arrived we felt like entering in a giant summer camp for teenagers or families and the restaurant was rather a kind of canteen too small to welcome all the guests.
After reading other reviews, we decided to not take the buffet but the food "alacarte" , it was a very good decision because although when you order a "tuna sandwich" you basically get 2 pieces of bread and tuna without anything else, well it was better than the leftovers of the buffet we saw people got when they arrive after it started (just rice and fries...).
The staff was kind but seemed really exhausted and pushed for time.

Also, be very careful when you leave to make sure they counted everything right. Because we told the guy twice that we didn't need a "mainland transfer" and he was going to make us pay an extra 200 RM for land tranfer... And the food was 40 RM instead of 24 RM...
Do not take their boat transfer, because you can buy it when you come to the Perhentians for 70 RM both ways (without a fixed day of departure), and Bubbles will make you pay 70 RM just ONE way when leaving... twice as much!
Rooms are quite basics without decoration and the double bed is in fact two single beds attached. There is tea & coffee available in the room which is nice, hot shower and A/C.
The door for the shower (an outside private shower) was broken, so we had to find a way with hangers and a belt to manage to close it, otherwise all the cool air from the A/C just goes right outside through that door...

We don't really understand the ecological side of the hotel especially because of their bungalows in concrete. It seems there was an hatchery for turtle eggs but only some volunteers can go there and when there is a baby the place is suddenly overcrowded.

Moreover if you want to visit the island there is no path to reach the other beaches and you have to pay for a taxi boat minimum 10RM/person to go to the closest one.

In brief, it could be a good place for families but definitely not for couples.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BabaCha
England
Reviewed 14 July 2012

There are times when forgetting the world you normally live in, leaving your comforts behind and transplanting yourself to another place where turtles come to nest, sharks (friendly ones) roam the waters and other wildlife live in close proximity can lead to a truly magical experience which you may never enjoy again. This is the place to achieve that.

OK, the accommodation may not be luxurious but it was functional. The buffets were not the best presented but they were extremely tasty, the food was fresh (sourced locally in Kota Bharu) and varied . . . I was there for 2 weeks and I don't think we had the same dinner twice. There was always fresh fruit, plenty of salad and choices of meat and fish.

The Bubbles beach is one of 3 beaches on the island where turtles come to nest and the conservation project is focused on increasing the nesting turtle population in the next 10-20 years. What can be more magical that seeing turtles come on to the beach to lay their eggs and to see hatchlings pop to the surface ready to go to sea. We had 1-3 turtles come to the beach every night so even those on a 2-3 night stay had the chance to witness one of nature's miracles. Note, however, that they lay their eggs at night and not always early in the evening!

I was there as a volunteer, helping out with the conservation project. Some volunteers struggled to make the distinction between being on an eco-holiday and being there to get involved, stuck in and sometimes dirty and sweaty. This was hugely rewarding for me: spending time in the hatchery would result in guests coming by to discuss turtles. I met people from all over the world and realised what a small world it is.

Collectively we tracked 25-30 nesting turtles, conserved 1,500 turtle eggs, released ~100 hatchlings, and created a fascinating focus for many of the guests. We became certified Eco-Divers and learned much more about our marine environment. We snorkeled with sharks and green and hawksbill turtles, we can now distinguish between families of fish, classes of corals ... and we got dirty, sandy, sweaty and occasionally wet ... and I loved every minute.

Thanks to:
Gareth, our volunteer leader, for keeping us focused on the volunteer program and the things that mattered
Wendy for being the turtle egg supremo
Libby for sorting out my toes
Ash for his excellent breakfasts, lunches and dinners
Shona and Dolla for the coffee and welcoming smile every morning
Stav for creating a relaxed and enjoyable dive center . . . superman!
James for helping a bunch of dimbos pass the Fish ID and Substrates tests.
Lee Wei for the tamarind fruits and request for Facebook connection
The bats, monkeys, flying lemurs, lizards, squirrels, crabs and other wildlife for keeping us amused ... and the sharks and turtles for just being there and ignoring us.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank scubafanEngland
London
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Before we stayed at Bubbles we were just around the corner on a busy 'local' stretch of sand, with a hut on the beach. So we were a bit sad when we realized that besides the cleaners, nobody was a local! We tend to love the local experience, and being greeted by fellow South Africans felt VERY surreal. Not as pleasant as I thought it may have been!

The room was huge - very comfortable, but you couldn't sit outside at night for the lumo lighting attracting all the bugs. All the 'rooms' face each other, and they feel like they've been thrown together with concrete. But at the end of the day, you're not really there to hang out in your room.

The beach was glorious, a really nice selection of fish to snorkel above straight off the beach. A bit difficult to manage when its low tide though. It was really quiet when we were there and plenty of times, I was alone on the beach. It's straight off a mini jungle, so the jungle sounds are incredible - especially when swimming in the water!

My fiance did a lot of diving, and absolutely raved about how great they were, taking him wherever he wanted. A definite thumbs up for the dive school.

We were a bit horrified by the way they ran their restuarant. You couldn't order food outside of the breakfast lunch and dinner times. There was no local shop to buy snacks. We actually arrived just before they got their food order in. The two days that we ate, I have to say it was not at all nice. They ran out of fruit, they had the stalest fried chips ever. The day before we left, we saw a huge amount of food being brought in, and that night was the only good meal I had. Oh yes, the food was also nearly triple what you pay for on other parts of the island!

So, all in all, it's a good place, but it feels more like a place that people/families come back to - away from the crowds, catering for families, but not really a romantic getaway for young couples. Obviously everyone's opinions are different, but we were thrilled to leave this place and move on to the next, which is just plain sad!

Room Tip: They all look the same.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carsipan
KL, Malaysia
Reviewed 10 July 2012

The best thing about Bubbles is that it's the only resort on a small, cozy cove on Pulau Perhentian Besar.

Bubbles is being touted as an eco- & turtles conservation resort. To a degree, I agree that they are that, but at the same time, I kind of get the feel they *may* be using the "eco" part of it as an excuse for providing only perfunctory facilities. The furnishing & amenities in the chalets are pretty spartan, but I suppose it served our purpose. I'm pretty laid back when it comes to beach accommodations. As long as there is a working fan, a working toilet/shower & comfortable bed, that's enough for me. However, at the prices they charge, I was kind of expecting a little more.

Bubbles is run by an Australian family (or so it appears) and service really depends on how any of them are currently feeling at any one time. I had an extremely friendly & chatty welcome, to surly dinner service, to lovely chats on the beach.

The thing about Bubbles is, it's a very laid back place. Don't expect to be waited on hand and foot, because that's not going to happen. On the flip side, if you need anything, all you have to do is walk up to the reception and ask, and you'll get it. Sometimes, you might have to pay a small fee to get it, but you'll get it.

The fact that it's the only resort on the beach might be a bit of a problem if you like extremely social evenings, but the staff are generally pretty friendly and there seem to always be foreign kids there out on gap year or summer break working the conservation portion of the resort anyway if you feel up for company & conversation. The restaurant/communal area of the resort stocks an assortment of books & board games for loan too, if you're so inclined.

All in all, it was a good, laid back holiday. Idyllic, even, if your idea of a beach getaway doesn't involve beach boys in tiny trunks bringing you frosty margaritas with the tiny umbrellas.

And, of course, the snorkelling & diving in Perhentian is gorgeous.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank IshDewyn
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I'm staying in the resort as volunteer at the moment. The environment is Absolutely stunning however, the living conditions for volunteers are just barely better than camping out door.
I booked my trip through ecoteer, and there is no communication at all between the resort and the agent. On the 1st day of arrival, my booking was not even on the list which I have already paid for the full price. The staff just put me and my friend into rooms 1st then said they would find out what kind of bookings did we make. However, they did not get back to us at all until we chase them up and found out they had all the booking wrong. Me and my friend has requested separate private room for the trip, however they made a mistake of wanting to put us in the same room. It has been a week they still couldn't find out if we had booked for a separated private room or separated shared room (with same sex).
Next thing is, I was never told that the room do not has hot water. Even it is hot in the afternoon, however, it is fairly cold at night specially after night beach patrol (either 3am or 8am). Plus they told us not to bring hair dryer, therefore I slept with my sandy hairs for a week now after freezing cold shower. I have asked for an upgrade to a room that has hot water, however they still fail to get back to me if there is any room available after 2 days = 4 more freezing cold shower.
Environment is great, but unless you are as strong as a cow and do not main living with insects all day long, otherwise, do not come.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Imnotpicky
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Stayed there for 3 days / 2 nights in May'12. Splendid nice beach; no other resorts nearby, secluded, clear aquamarine water and very nice natural greenary all around. The owners were attentive and helpful; food was good but bit costly; rooms were large and well maintained. We have a great time - just relaxing by the sea, swimming and looking at the scenary. The most important part is privacy. Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Perhentian Island Resort
Perhentian Island Resort
#4 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resor...
#5 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
BuBu Long Beach Resort
BuBu Long Beach Resort
#1 of 7 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort
The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort
#2 of 12 in Pulau Redang

Been to Bubbles Dive Centre and Resort? Share your experiences!