“Simple but sweet place to stay :)”
Review of Flora Bay Resort

Flora Bay Resort
“Simple but sweet place to stay :)”
Reviewed 1 July 2011

We are a group of 21 and we take the 3D2N (28th to 30th June) package provided by the hotel. instead of saying it as a resort, I think a chalet would be more appropriate. We take Garden View Triple and Hill View since we don't have many choices left since it's rather last minute. Booking via e-mail is a bit frustrating since the response is not that timely, however, booking by phone is always the best choice as the response is always timely and helpful. Receptionists are rather friendly and helpful, plus, they are quite fluent in English out of my expectation.

The room is very basic, don't expect too much if you go to Perhentian Island, this chalet is considered quite a nice one, wooden chalet, with a broom for you to sweep off the sand, towels, shampoo etc provided, it's considered quite a nice one. Bed quite comfy though it doesn't seem so when you first enter the chalet. Bathroom quite ok, with some smells and a few ants perrhaps. I wouldn't suggest Hill View as it is rather hot in the afternoon. However, as other reviewers say, you wouldn't have much time to stay in the room.

The location of the resort is rather perfect, located in a bay, with white sand and within 1 minute to reach the beach, it's absolutely a fantastic location, dive center is just right beside. Plus, there is a souvenir shop over there which allows you to buy souvenirs, wireless costs RM30 for 3 days, and broadband service for around 30 cents in Ringgit per minute, phone signal is rather limited however.

Meals provided (included in the package) by the resort is quite nice, it is totally out of expectation and a huge contrast compared with the exterior look of the resort.

Overall, I would highly recommend this resort if you are thinking of picking one on Perhentian Island. Do remember to bring along water as it is not provided free of charge, it's not too expensive, RM3.50 for 1 or 1.5 L mineral water.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Icy_11

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 June 2011

This is my 1st trip to This resort despite numerous invitation from my sister who is the regular guest to the hotel.
My 1st impression when we reached the island is 'WOW'! And my excitement does not ends there. I am really pleased by the way they welcome us to the resort.
For your information, I work in the hospitality industry for more than 14years now and currently in the concierge team of 1 of the wellknown hotel in Singapore.
Our 1st day ends with a very relaxing day and a beautifull, cheap, delicious food from Flora seafood restaurant (If I'm not mistaken).
Once more I am impressed by the staff over there when on the 3rd day, they already know from which room that we from and greet us in a very welcome. warm smile.
Dont expect to much from the room, but as a resort, we only spend our time in the room when we want to sleep. ( at night, while in the day we prefer to sleep on the beach). There is no television in the room (but I dont mind at all), the bed is really confortable, the AC is perfect plus a ceiling fan which make it nicer, the hot shower is refreshing (absolutely no bath tub, but just like I said, it's diving resort, so who need it?).
All the snorkling spot is pretty near, fills with colourfull, beautifull corals, coral fish and some other sea creatures as sea cucumber,crab, turtles etc...
Shark point is only about 5 to 7 minutes by their awesome speedboat driven by a cool dude! (Never stop smiling and easy to talk to) or about 1/2 hour if you snorkle from the beach (if you want to explore more area of the beautifull seabed, which I always do).
Dont forget to stop by at 'Air Berani', a mistic freshwater which no one knows where is the source and the freshwater that dont mix with salt water (amazing).
Overall I am glad, happy and really enjoy this trip, thanks to the owner (Keep smiling bro) and the beautifull staff of yours for this memorizing, beautifull, great and unforgetable holiday. For sure, I WILL BE BACK!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jenikins
london
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I stayed 4 nights in the island in one of the mid range rooms with AC. Basically the ones on the two storeys building. The rooms are basic: AC, no tv, no safe, balcony, old towels and very basic but functional bathroom. There is a hook to where to hung the mosquito net but I havent seen one single bug in 4 nights which was surprising. The first I couldnt sleep as the mattress was terrible with all the springs popping out. The morning after they kindly let me try 4 other rooms/beds until I found a decent one. Serious issue to review if you are reading this Flora Bay people...as I was lucky because there were spare rooms...
Anyway, apart from that I had a very nice stay and loved relaxing in the beach even thou I didnt do any diving which is why almost everyone go there. Staff are very helpful and polite. There are 2 restaurants in the hotel and also a couple of other choices along the beach
Another for Flora Bay: please get a couple of sun loungers for the ones we like to lay like lizards on the beach...as its suppose to be a beach resort! :)

Room Tip: Nice, basic, clean relaxing hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank jorge-London
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 22 June 2011

If you want to relax for a couple of days, you are in the right place. Flora Bay Resort has everything you need: good accomodation, good food, good beach and good diving.
We were planning to stay a couple of nights and then switch to Perhentian Kecil, but we enjoyed so much that we decided to stay here for a week. we stayed in the cheapest room available (60MYR), a room with fan. And it was fine. You are not gonna stay the full day in the room so good enough. I have to say that rooms probably need a little refurbishment but they are still much better than some places we have stayed around Malaysia. Food is good value. Prices are affordable and quality is fair enough, you will not be disapointed (if you stay long, you can head also to "Be First" restaurant on the beach for an also good meal or BBQ at good price).
Service is outstanding and super friendly. They will do anything they can to make you feel at home. They even have HIgh Speed Internet (30MYR for 4 days connection).
The resort has a dive shop. It is good. But I have heard that any dive shop in Perhentian Besar is goodd so walk in, ask and decide which one makes you feel better.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AroundTheWorldBCN
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We stayed for 2 nights from June 19 2011 and had a nice stay.

We slept in a semi sea view delux chalet with aircon. Bit dark and the bathroom was less than clean, but it was OK. The bed and pillows were quite hard and cheap but the aircon worked very well!

Location is quiet and relaxing. You can pay more, but you won't get much better than this on this side of the island.

• Stayed June 2011
Auckland
Reviewed 18 June 2011

stayed for 3 nights, compared to other places we visited this beach/resort felt very 'rustic', which for us is great.
all things such as water and electricity, air com, boat taxi, transfers, settling the bill at end - all of these things were easy and had no issues.
The beach in front is not the best beach in Perhentian, not the best for snorkeling anyway. But if you take a taxi or walk to the other side you have these things available.
Dive centre was tops! they were excellent, great guides and loved the places they took us.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jHopoate
Pasig, Philippines
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Being at Perhentian is an amazing experience! If you're not that picky and sensitive, Flora Bay Resort is the best spot for you. Rooms are okay, basic needs are all there including comfort rooms.

ROOMS: The accommodation is average, but you won't get to notice it because you will be out all day to experience the awesomeness of the island.

FOOD: Our group availed a package for 4 pax for our whole stay (3D2N). They serve 3 different dishes every meal plus fruit desserts and juices. Good food. If you don't want spicy foods, you have to request beforehand and make sure they understand. "No spicy."

BEACH: Powder-textured sand with clean shoreline. Volleyball, football & frisbee areas. The water is not cold and deep, good venue for kids. Although you have to transfer boats to get to and from the island because big boats can't enter. There are also offers for snorkeling trips (ours are included in the package but we still added 1 more day-trip). Snorkeling there was awesome, underwater is very beautiful, there are lots of fishes and corals. We even saw turtles and small sharks. Pricey but worth it.

No free wi-fi. You need to pay an expensive amount for the internet connection. But this is not that important because you won't have the time to use your computer, haha!
Limited signal for cellphones. Again, no time.
No alcohol. This one we can't let go. So we went to the neighbor resort to buy. I suggest you bring your own booze. Its expensive there.

All in all, I rated it excellent because when I went back home, I realized that everything I experienced at the Perhentian island made me happy. I enjoyed every bit of it. I'd do it again if I had the chance. Thanks to Flora Bay Resort for having the best spot - the best beach. My partner paid for everything, and if I convert (to PhP) I know its expensive, but he says its all worth it. ^_^

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank KatriKarla
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pulau Perhentian Besar
Coral View Island Resort
Coral View Island Resort
#3 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & Beach Chalet
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & B...
#7 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resor...
#5 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Perhentian Island Resort
Perhentian Island Resort
#4 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
BuBu Long Beach Resort
BuBu Long Beach Resort
#1 of 7 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resort
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resor...
#1 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar

Been to Flora Bay Resort? Share your experiences!