“No complaints”
Review of Flora Bay Resort

Flora Bay Resort
Reviewed 8 September 2009

We wanted to go perhentian for our diving trip in June and I brought 6 other friends along. I was a little hesitant about staying in Floral looking at the Reviews but I really wanted to dive with Floral Bay Divers and therefore, we decided to give it a go.

I must say its much better than the resorts I've stayed in Pulau Aur before. The toilets were really big and clean, no sign of creepy crawlers during our stay at all. Although the room was dark during the day, but who cares when you're out diving and should be in the sun at the beach? I was surprised they even have hot showers.

The air-condition was also really powerful at night and we have no problems with power shut down or what nots. The food was great according to my hungry diver friends - 5 males and 2 females and they were always just enough (which is good as we hate wasting food).
We had no problems with the booking of the place, the paying of the balance at the counters and it was really a pleasant trip. We had wanted to try Alu Alu Bayu down the road because it was newer and looks cleaner but this is just as good as we are on budget too.

Real value for money.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 August 2009

I have to agree with the last review and question all of the poor reviews of Flora Bay here. I think everyone needs to remember that this is a budget accommodation and you get what you pay for! There were 4 of us staying there and we had our own standard chalet with air-con and en-suite. There is nothing luxurious about the rooms but what do you really expect for this price?! The main thing is that the rooms were clean and were cleaned every day. They also provide fresh towels each day. There is also a balcony on the chalets where we lounged after many stressful days on the beach! The food here is fine and is probably one of the best along the Teluk Delum beach. The staff are very friendly, particulary Yus. If you're looking clean, basic accommodation on an idyllic beach- this is your spot!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2009

Simple accommodation that is priced fine on an idyllic beach front location - food at the restaurant was fantastic and staff friendly - not sure what everyone else is moaning about

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoryLondon
Reviewed 22 July 2009

My wife and I were very happy when we arrived at the island in the morning. We got a little hungry in the afternoon, so we headed on to the resort's restaurant to have lunch. We asked one of the male staff there (he usually stands at the reception desk) if their buffet lunch which is included in our tour package is ready to eat. He responded very rudely by shouting "Can't you see I'm taking orders from another table right now"! Everyone looked at us and I have never felt so embarrassed in my life. My wife and I got truly disappointed with how the staff treated us which otherwise would make a great holiday trip.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank lifesabeachh
Reviewed 20 April 2009

We are experienced travellers but this was grose! We had booked 4 nights and were horrified to see what we found....Dark dingy cabins with bathrooms that stank and had no fresh air in. There was no way i was spending my time in this run down desperate place with horrid plastic chairs and old dirty sofas, which you couldnt dare to sit on.! so i had to cancel our stay and asked to check out after 10 mins..... We were forced to pay 1/2 a nights accomodation after the nightmare manager threatened me with his terrifiying manner and pointing into my face and verbal abuse....It would have ended up with him hitting us if we didnt pay. Thank god there was a lovley girl there called Yus who tried to help us sort it calmly. He tried to get our bags off us and his other guy on the desk was just as rude and intimidating... A really horrid start to our holiday, so we paid just to get out of the hell experience.. but you shouldnt pay for something thats not up to a basic general standard!!! even Malay islands standard!!! Horrid I would never stay there, or eat there. It was probably fine about 15,20 years ago!!!! Check out Alu Alu which is further down the beach and so clean, modern for 1/2 the price!!!! Unfortunaly it made me see how men must totally intimidate and abuse women in Malaysia when they are angry, so much for the strong Muslim relegion! A really scarey experience! and embaressing for them....

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank nicky5555
Reviewed 25 October 2008

Flora Bay Resort was one of the most peaceful and relaxing places to stay. Perhentian Besar has no roads, only a few walking trails and a water taxi to take you to the neighboring island. The food is excellent, and the staff is very accommodating. There are many water activities especially for the scuba enthusiast and snorkeler. The island does not have many inhabitants and zero to nil night life. You sure do make friends fast though.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 28 August 2008

Pulau Perhentian Besar was to be the last stop of our 6-week-trip through Peninsula Malaysia, and we were looking forward to a beautiful and relaxing stay. We had already booked a family room in advance, which had been rather easy and smooth. Also, the staff tried to answer all the questions we had before our trip via email. So, we were expecting a decent place for us and our two little boys.
However, once arrived, we soon realized that we had ended up in the wrong place. We weren't expecting any special comfort, but cleanliness up to a certain degree. Instead we had a bathroom with a stinky and dirty sink and a completely rotten door, which had to be kept shut in order not to have a smelly room. Besides that, we hadn't expected such a worn down equipment of the room: a stained sofa you do not really want to sit on - which we hardly wanted anyways because our room was so dark -, mould on a pillow and a considerable lack of privacy because we in fact acoustically shared our room with our neighbours. Moreover, we had to cope with the continuous noise of the kitchen generator. Unfortunately our bungalow was just about 25m away from there. Considering all this, it was not worth the money we had paid (195 RM a night without breakfast).
Since we were trying to stay at Flora Bay I, we asked the staff for another room several times but did not get the impression that they wanted to be helpful in any way. Finally we decided to change to another place. When anouncing this in F.B.I, nobody seemed to care.
All in all, we have to say that a lot will have to be done to make this place a nice one and not another ruin as the given up Everfresh next door. For sure, some of the staff will need a lesson in how to treat guests in a friendly way, also if they are with young children.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family