“Best breakfast!”

Shari-La Island Resort
Kuala Lumpur
“Best breakfast!”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We spent 4 days 3 nights here and spent about RM500 per person inclusive of breakfast, 3 snorkelling trips, snorkelling gear and a tour guide and enjoyed every moment! Especially the breakfast buffet, it never disappointed us. There were four of us so we got a quite a big chalet, the only thing wrong with the room was that the toilet door kept unhinging. But they sent someone over quite quickly to fix it. But if you arrive early you're gonna have to wait around before you can check in. but theres plenty of places to sit and enjoy the view of the sea. Might be a bit on the pricier side, but in return you do get comfort and good breakfast buffet. Always LOVE a good breakfast buffet!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank at_abo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

After spending 2 nights in an awful room on long beach we moved to shari la! It was heaven! We had a lovely double room which was really clean and has a lovely porch on the front to sit on! The room was well sealed so it kept all the bugs out( no need for mosquito net). The bathroom had a hot shower and was clean! There was air con in the room and a fan! A fridge so you could buy your own drinks! The hotel also had a shop which was not over priced like usually in large hotels and the reception and staff were really nice! Skip the breakfast as it was a disappointment but over all it was a lovely pleasant stay! For what you pay you won't get much better than this unless you expand your budget alot!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank total_ledge
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a chalet here for 2 nights, was 140 MR per night. We found this good value as it was a massive improvement on the chalet we stayed at long beach which was 120 and filty. Shari La was clean with good air con and hot showers.
Definately enjoyed our stay and had no problem with hygiene or bed bugs and if I was to return I would stay here again. The walk to long beach is only 10 minutes.

• Stayed September 2013
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We are two girls from Europe backpacking south east Asia and stayed at their dorm for one night after our desired location had no room available. From the good reviews here on tripadvisor we thought it should be ok - we have rarely been so wrong.

When we checked in at 3pm we still had to wait until 10pm for fresh sheets on our beds. Unfortunately staff didn't think of taking away the old towels and other waste of the former guests (see pictures). It was really disgusting! Moreover we returned there three days after checkout to pick up a friend and the sheets we slept in were still on the beds.

There is no protection from mosquitoes, only three working lightbulbs for the whole dorm and the AC settings can't be changed - this means it was really freezing during the night.

As if all this wasn't enough we found out later that they also had bedbugs! It was not only us. We also talked to other guests staying in the dorm and they also had the red bites all over them. We only stayed there for one night but we know from others that the reception was informed about the bedbugs and at least the next 4 days (by then we left the island) nothing was done!

The shower for the dorm is really gross (the one of the two with a door), the toilet dirty and there is no sink at all! Furthermore one of the wooden steps that you have to pass to reach the "sanitary facilities" is broken. This is really dangerous and could lead to falls and injuries especially in the dim light during the night!

They keep your passport for the length of your stay even though you pay berforehand at check-in. This is unusual in Malaysia.

The only positive thing is the location. They also have a private beach and when you pass it and go on a bit along the cost you can find nice snorkeling spots.

From all hostels we stayed at during our trip through SEA this was the most horrible one. DO NOT GO THERE! It is not worth the money and the trouble getting rid of the bedbugs!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Eva S

Travellers are raving about these Pulau Perhentian Kecil hotels

Sydney
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I always find the reviews on TripAdvsoir very helpful, so this time I would like to share my experience as my review may help other travellers making their decision.

I travelled to Perhentian Kecil with three friends back in July and picked a deluxe chalet at the Shari-La based on mainly positive reviews on TripAdvisor at the time. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed and after reading more recent posts (mainly negative) I have to say that I agree.

The resort advertises itself as a 3.5 star resort, but I wouldn't rate it anymore than 2.5. The main reason for that is the poor hygiene / maintenance at the resort and staff attitude which ranges from friendly to indifferent and unhelpful.

The Shari La chalets look very cute on the internet, and the decor is indeed warm and friendly. Also the grounds of the resort are very pleasant and are being well-maintained on a daily basis. But I rather have a clean room and restaurant to go to than sand being swept around trees almost to perfection outside my chalet.

Short description of the short comings in the restaurant:
Buffet Breakfast has quite a variety, but low standard of quality. More importantly, the hygiene in the restaurant is appalling! Table cloths in the buffet area as well as on the tables are dirty and sticky and I never saw them changed in the whole week I stayed there. There are ants in the coffee & tea serving area.

Short description of the short comings in the chalets:
Worn furniture, surfaces in chalet were grimy upon check, dust & dirt on the floor and in drawers, and I had to ask to clean the room again properly. The refridgerator was not working and I was told by staff that there's nothing that can be done about it. After two days they eventually changed the fridge. As mentioned in reviews by others: towels are not changed and rooms are not cleaned even when you hang the sign 'Please make up room' outside your door, you actually have to inform reception. What do you have the sign for then, I wonder?

Hence, it was no surprise to me that after the 3rd night in my chalet, I woke up with bed bug bites all over me. I have plenty of photographs of that to upload on this site, but spare you the sight of them ... It's not pretty. I immediately informed reception asking to rectify the issue. I was re-assured that the room would be sprayed, the matress would be aired and put out in the sun to get rid off the bugs, sheets be changed etc. Nothing happened at all and I had to chase and remind staff six times throughout the whole day, which meant that my day was wasted. A new mattress was finally put up in the evening but the sheets on the second bed were still not changed. Total nightmare! Worst thing of all, I asked housekeeping for my night shirt and a few other garments that had been on the bed to be washed and dried hot to make sure to get rid off any possible bugs. After two days the items were ready to be picked up, but they wanted to charge me for it. Outrageous!

All was fine for 2 nights and I finally could get some sleep again. However, during my seventh and last night at the resort the bed bugs returned ... so, the bed bug problem is obviously a re-occoring issue.

Upon check-out in the morning, I mentioned to reception that I would like to be compensated for the 2 nights where I was bitten and had hardly any sleep. I was told that this was not possible ...
I think enough said. All that for RM230 per night ... not worth it. Go elsewhere!

Unless you want to spend even more and stay in one of the VIP cottages which two friends had booked and they were very happy with it and had no bed bugs.

I seriously hope that the management of this resort reads the reviews, as they will definitely need to raise their standard and take customer's comments seriously. I will not return there and certainly don't recommend this place.

Room Tip: Try the VIP cottages if you have the budget for it. But overall I still wouldn't recommend the r...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I never like to leave bad comments, truly this time I have no choice! The resort and the chalet look very pretty on the outside, once inside the suite the nightmare begins! Starting with the smelly bedlinen, furniture had upholstery full of dust from months I wouldn't touch them even with clothes on. Toilet felt like a public toilet. Forget about breakfast, we bought soya milk and canned coffee with cookies from the shop nearby and consumed in the patio outside the chalet, unless you want to eat on a tablecloths with noodles dry from few meals before, not to mention the lack of pastry and bad food overall. Feel free to add the sugar from the pot full of ants. If you really want to waste your money you'll need one night to realize the mistake, and the nice long beach with low water it's on the other side of the island anyway. Staff, no comment.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nicephore75
Skierniewice, Poland
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed there 2 nights. It was quite dufficult to find something without earlier booking. Only some ugly and cheap rooms in different chalets nearby. Szari-la wasn't cheap - 250 per one night but of a good value. Food was not included.

• Stayed August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pulau Perhentian Kecil
BuBu Long Beach Resort
BuBu Long Beach Resort
#1 of 7 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resor...
#4 of 10 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
#4 of 14 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
Perhentian Island Resort
Perhentian Island Resort
#3 of 10 in Pulau Perhentian Besar

Been to Shari-La Island Resort? Share your experiences!