“Great place to stay!”

BuBu Long Beach Resort
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Was here in 2010 (July--below, it won't let me specify 2010) for a holiday, really impressed with the service and how they went out of their way to make the stay really meaningful.

The room was clean and tidy on the second storey (would recommend this for the amazing view). Had air-con, and never had any problems with it not working.

The resort itself is at one end of the beach, more of the "quiet" end, so I'd recommend staying here to have some peace and quiet. Really nice area of beach with umbrella's and sun loungers, and snorkelling (some of the best I've snorkelled) just on the footsteps of the resort too. It only took about 15 minutes max to walk to the far end of the beach; all along the way there's bars and restaurants.

The price was a little high, but at the same time, it was a holiday, the amenities were really exceptional, especially for being on a remote island powered only by generators...

A really nice place to go for a special occasion type holiday.

Room Tip: Choose a room that's not on the ground floor - you'll get a great view that way of the beach...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aibileen

Reviewed 31 October 2011

First of all let me say I loved my stay here. However... it was so overpriced. As it was our honeymoon we splashed out for the honeymoon suite, but it cost more per night than a 4 star hotel elsewhere in Malaysia. I'd suggest the hotel was a 3 star. There was no kettle in the room and our shower, which wasn't overly powerful, broke twice (though to be fair the staff fixed it pretty quickly). The bar is good though service is pretty slow. The free cocktails are definitely full-strength, they don't scrimp on the alcohol! The other places on long beach are better value for eating and drinking so its worth walking down to sample the other cafes. It sounds like I'm being negative so I feel like I should clarify that I had a fantastic time in bubu and it looks like its one of the best resorts on kecil. The attached dive school is great too. I'd recommend it as long as you accept that it is overpriced, as to be fair most places on the perhentians appear to be.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank i_need_a_coffee
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Just came back from bubu - stayed there in mid October, right at the end of the season. There was very little open on the island and the hotel was not very full.

Our stay was super relaxing and made special by the very friendly staff. The rooms are as others have described (a little dated) but comfortable. At the time of year we stayed, there are good deals available.

Western food was better than the Asian food. Breakfast was not great.We organised snorkelling through the hotel, which was very good value and easy to do.

I would go back to Bubu, most likely at the same time of year. All other hotels had closed, leaving the deserted beach to the few people on the island. Kecil was the perfect tropical paradise.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 17 October 2011

we arrived to perhantian with no reservaion so we had to find a place to stay upon arrival. We do not need luxury but appreciate things such as a/c and hot water so that limits our range of available places a to some extent. We found that most the hotels on long beach were in fact fully booked so we ended up going for BuBu for a couple of nights. The plan was to look for other alternatives during the evening (having looked for a hotel in the heat for several hours was starting to get to us) and if nothing "better" was to be found we would extend our stay at BuBu. The main reason for us wanting something else was the price, we found the price a little too high.

The hotel is very nice, located at the end of Long Beach. The staff is polite and the food at the restaurant was good. The rooms was spacious and clean. Nothing bad to say about this place and could stay again

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2011

a friend and I stayed at BuBu for 3 nights as part of a 10 day holiday in Malaysia. A friend had recommended BuBu and I am so glad they did. Our transfer to the island from Kota Bharu airport were very smooth - we were worried about the weather from other reports but it was perfect. You would be safe to stay there until the end of October. BuBu on Long Beach is also one of the resorts located very close to the jetty where the boat arrives, so you don't have to carry your bags too far. Our Deluxe Room was very nice, which a great view of the beach and water from the balcony. The room had all you needed, which isn't much as you would want to spend all your time outside.

- The staff were very friendly
- The 2 cocktails between 5 - 6pm that were complimentary were very good - they didn't skimp on the strength and any drink on the menu was available. They even came up to us on the banana lounges when 6pm was nearing to order our 2nd complimentary cocktail
- The best massage I have ever had in a beautiful setting on the beach
- The breakfast was very good - freshly made pancakes, omlettes and eggs cooked to your liking, fruit, toast and hot foods with surprisingly good croissants
- The resort itself is at the other end away from most of the resorts so it is quiet and peaceful, but only a 5 minute walk away from all the action at the bars further down the beach, along with the other restaurants and dive shops. You can also snorkel to a reef from the beach outside the hotel - marine life on your doorstep.

I highly recommend staying at BuBu

Room Tip: we had a room on the top level - great views and it felt a bit more private compared to the ones on...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank tripper1811
Reviewed 14 October 2011

After our speedboat had some problem, the way to Bubu took a little bit longer than usual, which did not bother me at all, since the views are so amazing! We were warmly greeted by the friendly staff with welcome drinks and were surprised to hear, that we have been upgraded to the honeymoon room!!! that made the whole stay even more enjoyable! The rooms are quite small and a few things are not brand new anymore, but that was no problem for us. The view from the balcony was great and I enjoyed the 3d2n even though it was raining a lot. Therefore we also couldn't have the sunset tour and the hybrid station tour, but we joined the snorkelling tour, which was a little bit too short (snorkelled only about 10-15min per spot -> 3 spots) but rewarded by seeing a turtle! I have to say that the water around the perhentians is the clearest water i have ever seen and I cannot wait to go back there (i never travel twice to the same place) and I would choose again Bubu. The breakfast is great and the staff friendly, what more can i ask for?! Thanks to the whole team which made our stay so lovely!

Room Tip: Be on the second or third floor in order to have sea view!!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bianca2501
Reviewed 29 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel twice, both in 2010. I have also stayed in two other places on Perhentian Kecil, so have a good basis for comparison. I very much agree with various reviewers who describe Bubu as "good, but expensive", "the best/only high-end option", but also "the best of a mediocre lot".

Bubu is on THE best beach on Perhentian (both islands), and is beautifully located at the northern, aka quieter, end of that beach. As long as you avoid the monsoon season from late September to mid-March when the waves can get high and fierce, Long Beach is a great place to lounge, sunbathe and splash, and also to snorkel or even dive from (though most of the good dive-sites are a bit away from Long Beach by boat). Bubu is by far the best appointed resort on Long Beach. This is partly because most of the other resorts are middle- or low-end, as is typical on Perhentian and other Malaysian East Coast islands. But the Bubu rooms are pretty well appointed (if not quite urban 5-star), and the general layout and facilities of the resort are good. The a la carte restaurant rightly has an excellent reputation. Do visit it for that special night out even if you are not staying at Bubu! It is though pricey - which is the main criticism of Bubu overall. If however you can get a special package deal for a short stay, you can bring the nightly cost down considerably.

Overall verdict? Great for couples, especially maturer couples like my wife and I, who want a bit more comfort and luxury. If you are a backpacker who just wants a balmy tropical beach, and also to save most of your money for more travel round the region or diving, go for something cheaper further down the beach or on another beach. It is because I am more in the latter category that I have given it only three stars; my wife would definitely give it four!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Laguna Redang Island Resort
Laguna Redang Island Resort
#1 of 12 in Pulau Redang
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resort
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resor...
#2 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Shari-La Island Resort
Shari-La Island Resort
#6 of 7 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resor...
#5 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar

Been to BuBu Long Beach Resort? Share your experiences!