“Clean beds and bathroom, nice location”
Review of Mohsin Chalets

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
Mohsin Chalets
Singapore, Singapore
“Clean beds and bathroom, nice location”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

First of all, if you're going to the Perhentians on this island, you need to expect things are going to be very basic like hostel style. I stayed in Mohsin because one of my friends were going to stay there and I was pleasantly surprised!

We stayed in the air con rooms and it's the at the top of the chalets, so it's a bit of a walk but manageable. The room has really nice beds, clean sheets and definitely clean bathroom and toilets. The location itself is almost at the end of the beach so the party music wont' really affect your sleep if you were not in the mood for that.

The staff is actually really helpful too. They are able to advise the departure time, providing showers and storage service after you checked out. They also was quite good with responding emails with requests. I've originally booked the fan room but once the air con room was available, they immediately emailed and called to see if I would like to take those.

Overall, I think this is an awesome place for a weekend with access to the beach but also quiet and peaceful environment.

Room Tip: Ask for air con room that's in the lower level, you really don't want to stumble all the way...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mythary

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Indonesian first
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Its really nice to stay in the dorm. During the nights you even have air con. Which i think you would not find somewhere else on this iland for the same price. And i really like the stuff. They are really friendly. So all in all I would definitely recommend this place

Room Tip: Take the dorm its the right place for meeting new people
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Our room was level 3 to of hill. if you're fit, then there is no such problem for you to hike up to go to your room. room wise was quite small and air cond doesn't really work well. for the bathroom, it not really well cleaned.

But at the verendah they've got small table n chairs for your to relax around to see the view of the island.
Since the island only had 12 hours electricity, we just ordered coffee at their cafe. From here you can see superb view of the island itself.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Armiez
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Probably the one guaranteed way to get a rating of "terrible" is to summon 12 of your closest professional friends and beat up your guests. Read on

I'll keep it as brief as possible since the police report I wrote was pretty lengthy. Myself and three other friends booked two rooms and checked into Mohsin "Chalets" (that fancy-sounding French word means nothing) on Sunday, May 26. The room itself was dismal. Dirty beds, broken fan (obviously no aircon), a door that wouldn't shut or lock, and just for good measure the room number on the outside hung sideways, suspended by one out of two nails. To top it off, in the bathroom was a broken toilet, and a sink that was balanced precariously on the copper water pipe that was feeding it, not attached to the wall at all. Remember that.

The next morning, my friend (a 21-year old, 5'3" female) went to the bathroom after waking up. The electricity was off, though it should not have been. When the bathroom lights didn't turn on, she lost her balance on the ledge leading to the bathroom floor, and slipped on the water that had leaked from the sink the night before. She instinctively grabbed the closest thing for support which happen to be the broken sink. After the slightest touch, the sink came crashing down to the floor, shattering in a hundred pieces. My friend obviously could have been severely injured by this neglectful maintenance, but she only had a couple scratches from the jagged porcelain.

Obviously we went to management about this, suggesting our money be returned after a miserable nights' stay. The female at the desk was not surprised, and responded by saying that the sinks around the hotel had been a problem, and casually asked for 150 ringgit for it to be replaced. We were understandably shocked, and refused to pay. The then called a man who claimed to be the owner. I never got his name, but he's impossible to miss; under five feet tall and clearly suffering from his Napoleon complex. He had a goon with him, and the four of us went back to the room to survey the damage. The owner tried to demonstrate that it was in fact securely fastened... but in his reenactment he put it on the wrong side of the wall. The abject neglect could not be more obvious. He loudly demanded that we pay, and when we refused he became increasingly aggressive, even getting in the face of my female friend. He actually put his hands on us, and I had to step between the little man and my friend and push him away. At one point he asked me where I thought I was, and then he threatened to kill me, I kid you not.

My friend and I managed to leave, thinking that a threat to our lives would be the right time to make an exit. We went back to our previous resort on the other side of the beach and had lunch. We had planned to go to the other side of the island that night, Coral Bay. The little man's goon had followed us and as soon as we left the beach, the four of us with all our bags, he approached us as we got to the trail going across the island and again demanded payment. My friends and I were maybe 100 meters from the beach when the man called for his friends. Before I knew it, I was surrounded by 12-15 locals all screaming incoherently. I knew I was in a bad situation, and while trying to reason with the man, a fist came out of my periphery and caught me on the left eye. I stumbled back, and one of the other men kicked me in the face. My female friend (remember, 21-years old, 5'3" and adorable), came rushing to my aid and tried to tackle one of the men like the awesome girl she is. She was thrown to the ground, and when she got up, she was punched in the face by the men as well. I see red even typing that and I'm actually shaking with rage. Just picture it- a half dozen crazed local Malaysians taking turns beating a female all at the behest of Mohin's owner. When she fell to the ground I jumped on top of her to protect her and absorbed the brunt of the beating for a couple minutes.

I urge everyone, in the strongest possible terms, to avoid Mohsin at all costs.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
25 Thank BrooklynShogun

Travellers are raving about these Pulau Perhentian Kecil hotels

Reviewed 15 March 2013

They have a very cheap dorm package for 3d2n which is for RM 270 and the staff are superx3 friendly..nice view from the receptionist place where you can just hang out when the electric stop at noon and if you are lucky the staff would ask you to join them climb the stair hill ,fishing or even snorkeling around island

Room Tip: The electric only operate from 6pm till 1pm and can't use a hairdryer
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Nadea A
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I was there for a diving trip with a number of friends and to our dismay, when we arrived, we had to lug all our bags and things on a 10-15 minute walk up to where Mohsin chalets are. Check in took a while to finish as they were short of staff because it was a major public holiday. The rooms are very basic, nothing you'd write home about. We had all sorts of problems with our toilets. One room toilet couldn't flush, another was leaking. A couple of complaints later sorted out those but the rooms are way below average.

Food was okay at the chalet. BBQ buffet was not bad and saved us the trouble of taking another 10-15minutes walk to the Long Beach for food (waiting time for food here could take up to 30mins-1hour, again, this is probably due to the public holiday).

To be fair, the staff there are friendly (they seem to try) and we were just unlucky as we were there during the Hari Raya Puasa holidays, so most of the staff were off and there were probably only 3 there to man the reception, clean the rooms, etc.

Not recommended unless you're into the whole back to basics, because at Mohsin, basic is all you will get.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up on the hill means lots of climbing up and down (if you forget something when you rea...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I went there for my diving trip. I wouldn't hope for much but at least a clean place to stay. I was staying at the first row challet, I'm ok with my room. My tired body wouldn't allow me to choose more either.

I have a few friends who are staying at the top row challet, they complained that the water wasn't strong enough to flush the toilet, so everything was in the toilet bowl for 3 days... Their buffet dinner wasn't impressive, but that time was Muslim's fasting month, every Muslim operated stalls were closed. No other choice but to eat. The owner was kind enough to entertain the guest with his magic show.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Coral View Island Resort
Coral View Island Resort
#3 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resor...
#5 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Ombak Resort Perhentian Island
Ombak Resort Perhentian Island
#4 of 14 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
Perhentian Tropicana Inn
Perhentian Tropicana Inn
#8 of 10 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil

Been to Mohsin Chalets? Share your experiences!