“Seriously, don't bother!”

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Pulau Redang
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Seriously, don't bother!”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Horribly located up a hill, cutaway from everything. The beach.. well.. it's just pathetic! It's opposite the jetty so water is average, or poor for redang... and it's just a small pathetic little strip. There's another one apparently, 3km away from the resort. Didn't go there though. The service is not the best. The resort is poorly kept. The rooms however are decent, clean, and the beds are comfy. But at whole, I will not be going here again, ever. It's a waste of time. It's like going to a beach resort in and island, and not being able to experience the 'resort' and the 'island'.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Stayed there 1 night due to a last minute trip and many other hotels were full.
This hotel is 100m from the landing track. But no worry, very few flights per day.
The rooms are wooden cottages which can be reached after a fair walk. We had to carry our luggages. Staffs spoke very little english and were not that helpful go help us to organize boats. View on thebeach was disappointed

• Stayed June 2013
Singapore
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Even spending time writing this review is a waste of time for a place like this, but I felt it was my duty to warn fellow travellers of this poor excuse of a resort.

The entire resort is worn out and in need of a major overhaul. The reception area looks dreadful and old and the only thing worth mentioning was that it was well ventilated. The public toilet near the so-called restaurant is in a horrible state and absolutely stuffy in the hot weather. It was not ventilated nor air-conditioned and one of the cubicle doors couldn't even close. The main restaurant looked so dated and depressing and the worse thing about it is the food. This is really the worse resort restaurant I have ever been to and they don't take any pride in their quality of food. It was barely edible. Just thinking about their buffet spread kills my appetite.

Next, their rooms. They are housed in little chalet like structures with 2 rooms on the 2nd level and 2 rooms on the ground floor. The rooms and structure are mostly wooden and mouldy, and good luck to you if you are a light sleeper. You can practically hear the conversations next door and the thumping on the ceiling when your upstairs neighbours walk around their room. I also do not understand why the management couldn't spend some money to put up shower curtains in the shower stall. The entire toilet and the floor will basically become a pool when you finish showering! How much will a cheap plastic shower curtain cost?

Then, out of the 3 days we were there, there was intermittent water supply for 2 days. The first time it happened, I was lucky I had finished my shower. The water flow just stopped and the management didn't even have the courtesy to inform their guests. The next time it happened, the resort did bother to write a note to inform the guests but the note they gave us at 10pm that night had mentioned that the water supply will come back on around midnight. However, the water supply dried up again when we woke up the next day. We saw many guests squatting by the common water points along the footpath brushing their teeth and others walking to the pool toilet to shower. This is really shameful for a resort who dares call themselves 3-star!

Oh, the resort is also located on a slightly elevated hill at the beginning of the air strip, so if you enjoy watching planes landing, this will be a great location for you to watch the landing in action close up and hear the roar of the turbo-prop engine!

So, please, don't even think about coming here unless you are using this as an excuse to get out of a relationship! Be warned!

Room Tip: There are none.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank thewhimsicaltrekker
Goa, India
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I am tempted to say that the resort has a great view of the blue South China Sea, but that is true for most resorts here. What stands out in this resort is the extremely friendly staff that will go to any length to serve you. Being a vegetarian, I usually face problems with food, but they made some excellent vegetarian food for me, including in a barbecue.

Quality of bathrooms can be better, but otherwise no issues.

Room Tip: Choose the sea facing rooms as that is what you are there for on the island.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I believed that this is the worst hotel in the Redang Island.
First Day:Me and my family reached at hotel about afternoon 1.30pm, according to the normal check in time is 1pm, but they are unable to clean up the room for us, we have to waite until around 4.30pm only could get the room. To prevent us from complaints, they were offered us with FOC lunch and we sitting there with tired body and children altogather hanging around 2-3 hours only could step into the room.
2nd Day:We've booked a snorkling trip from 1pm - 9.30pm,but due to the counter staff was given wrong information to us, then we have to another 1.30hour in order to let the boat man finished their lunch meal first then only fetch us to the desired destination.

At night, the worst thing happened! No water supplied around 7pm++,we called to reception counter to complaints, but they just answered technician was on-going to repair the main paip. After half an hour, we complaint again but they said at mid night water supply will back to normal, meanwhile we received a notice which the hotel staff "throw" under the door into our room without any inform.Mid night, hotel still failed to supply water, caused the whole who stay in "Chalet Room" were out of water supplied !!! This is crazy !

3rd Day:This is my final day here, morning still dont have water, forced us have to go to restaurant toilet to wash face and to swimming using the public paip to take shower before we check out !! What da hotel that could alive in this Island?????Please dont stay here otherwise you will get into crazy and spoilt your trip mood !!

Room Tip: Please read the comments from others traveller before you decide to book a room..
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lieselyow
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I was very disappointed with the service has been provided by this resort. For my first day of stay, I have paid RM45 for the ride from Redang Island resort to Long Island. at 7PM. The Organizer told us that they boat will come pick me up at 9.30PM. I was there at early at 9.15PM and waited until 10.30PM. during the waiting period, I have made at least 3 calls because I am worried that the boat is not coming to pick me up. The excuse given to me was they have fetch the first batch of people. so they ask me to wait for the second round. But I was there early than the time promised and waited, there is not even a single boat to fetch us back to the Island.

As for my second day, 9AM in the morning, The resort bring us to the Marine Park. once again they said they will come and pick us up 12PM. I was planning not to bring my phone at first but brought it along to snap some picture. I finished my snorkeling and ready to take off exactly 11.45AM waited at the jetty till 12.45PM. During this waiting period I have made another 3 call to the resort and check for the boat transport. Again they gave me the same excuse saying that they have to sent the first batch of people back. How could they just do that and left the rest behind in the Island without checking. If I really left my phone back in the resort, what will happen later ?

The third day of my stay in the resort, the reception ask me to be at the restaurant at 6.10AM in the morning because we need to arrive at the jetty at 6.30am to catch the boat back to Kuala Terrenganu at 7AM. I called to the operator and requested for the van to come pick us up at 6AM from the room to the lobby because it was raining. The reception told me that they can only pick us up at 6.20AM. I felt annoyed then I decided to walk to the lobby under that rain. When I reached to the lobby at 6.05AM the reception said the breakfast is not ready and we have to wait till 6.20AM. Then I waited till 6.20AM the reception ask me to proceed to the restaurant as the breakfast is ready. But then I got to know that breakfast is not ready and I have waited for another 10min which is 6.30AM for the breakfast. The plates, fork and spoon are all not clean as I walked in the the restaurant. Once I start to grab the breakfast and I only managed to grab 2 slice of bread the waitress came to me and said the Van is waiting for me to sent me to the jetty.

Seriously this matter really annoys me while I am paying for these kind of service.

Room Tip: I will suggest never go to this place because of the "Terrible" service.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank HueyTan
Sg
Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

Have read a lot of reviews before I went there, so I don't really put high expectation on this resort..
Upon reaching there, check-in was smooth even though my friend forgot to print out the confirmation email..forgot her name but she's working on morning shift..I guess so since we check in around 2 plus
True enough, there's a steep slope where we need to get to our resort! Was quite shock by the slope.. I really can't imagine how will the old people walk up and down the slope ? One of their staff is kind enough to send us by a van to our resort. That's only for the 1st day! Heh!
Food at the resort are extremely expensive .. Quality was just OK..
Since there's no beach where we can experience, we decided to ask the front desk lady whether there's a service to send us out of the resort.. And there is! But it's only from 6pm-7pm.. •_• we try to eat at one of the local shop and the quality and price are good too! there u can see goat cow chicken roaming around! Such a nice experience...
Room was ok except for the toilet! there's stain on the floor! Shower head in need of a NEW one! Dustbin cover is stained! Really new to change to a new one!
But the good thing is there's no mozzies and cockroach! That's gd!

Souvenir shop needs to put more effort! I don't see any magnet fridge item.. Such a disappointment !

The best part of staying there is only the snorkeling activity! Awesome! Great beach white sand beautiful sea! The corals and fishes are beautiful!

• Stayed April 2013
Redang Pelangi Resort
Redang Pelangi Resort
#5 of 12 in Pulau Redang
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & Beach Chalet
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & B...
#8 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Coral View Island Resort
Coral View Island Resort
#3 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar

Been to Redang Island Resort? Share your experiences!