“Not worth the time and money!”

Redang Island Resort
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Pulau Redang
Singapore, Singapore
“Not worth the time and money!”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

If your idea of a redang holiday is to relax by a whte sandy beach, then avoid this place at all cost!
1)The location is terrible, there is no significant beach to speak of. The rest of the beaches (esp Long Beach) are not accessible by foot; you need to to take a boat ride out.
2)It's not even cheap. There are a lot of hidden cost involved, as you need to pay for the transport out. Snorkeling and trekking are charged extra.
3)There are no shops, no night life, wifi wasn't working, and the ceiling creaked when the occupants in the above unit walked about. The aircon is old and noisy, and not cold at all. I don't even know why they put a TV in the room, as the reception is bad, and there is only 1 english channel.
4)The food is expensive and mediocre, and there is only 1 restaurant available.
5)The only reason why I booked this place was all the other places were fully booked. If I had known it was this terrible, I would have skipped this trip altogether.

Room Tip: Don't bother! 2nd level units will avoid creaking ceilings when people walk about. Bring your ow...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank hikerdriver

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We didn't plan this holiday but since a friend had an extra set of 2 rooms, we grabbed at the opportunity of a short break. After our flights were booked - my husband and I and our 2 boys, I started to read reviews about the resort. I was very disappointed. I imagined that this trip would not be worth it. I told my older son and he said this "if you dont expect too high it shouldn't be that bad". I believed him but when the captain of Berjaya Air said that we might have to land in Terengganu instead and take the ferry to the island due to the bad haze, my heart sank. Luckily we finally landed on the island straight. That was a relief!

Yes, most of the things mentioned here in the review were right but not once we regretted our stay. When we late for breakfast, the supervisor waited for us with her team. We were embarassed that we didn't like the spread and would only have coffee. The supervisor was still smiling and served us coffee. She didn't even charge us for the coffee and the egg my younger son took because she said it was already closing time.

When we had problem with the tap in the shower room, the maintenance came almost immediately and finally moved both rooms to another building to repair the bathroom (they could have moved just one room but probably we are a family of 4 with connecting room).

Overall, with great lunch & dinner in 2 of the village restaurants with our 25 fish caught at our fishing trip (we brought them to the restaurant to be cooked various dishes), I think it was a great experience with least problems.

It is not a 5-star resort after all and objective should just be fishing and snorkeling! We don't mind going back for fishing again. I caught the biggest fish which we grilled it and so proud of it because it was my first try!

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We booked this resort under BVC, when I first arrived at the lobby i tried to find where is the beach! We had to climb down the stairs and was super disappointed to see the small stretch of beach which is not suitable to swim. I was totally heart broken, what is it to stay at redang without a beach. The resort is situated at an isolated side, if you want to get groceries you need the hotel staff to send us out to the nearby village. What kinda pissed me off is that the receptionist didn't tell us they actually offer van service to send us to the village until i saw it on facebook. They actually ask us to take the taxi service which need to be pay. The room is a wooden cottage and is abit lack of maintenance. I hope they do check their room first before letting their guest to stay in it. For people that would like to stay isolated this might be the place, it comes with swimming pool, open fitness centre, and massage. However, i would never go back.

Room Tip: Seaview room would be better
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dreamy117
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I had my first visit to redang island on 29 June 2013. I been to this Redang Island Resort. The price wasn't costly still affordable. After i booked my friends says you should read the comments in tripadvisor. After reading it i was like oh my goodness! There goes my beach and sunshine. Arrived there with Berjaya Air. The landing was horrifying but the gentleman sit next to me says it's normal as the track is short so they have to land in a such way. Ok fine and still pray everything gone be good, not to say best but i pray for better.The resort picked me and my friend up and within 5 min we reached the resort.

First impression wasn't that bad on how it looks like. (not as scary as mentioned in here). Friendly receptionist attended our check in process, have to wait some time to get into the room as we were there early. we walked around the lobby, looked around, not bad (i say to myself) beautiful swimming pool, peep at the cafe, food looks nice and delicious. We got our room and it was a seaview room. I would say superb view.

We then went for snorkeling, friendly "captain" tells us a lot about the stops we went. Back to the resort, OH MY GOD!! No water supply!! When we were at the reception we overheard the reception talking over the phone saying that their person in charge there is going up the hill to pump water for us. We was like, if a manager would take the effort to find water for us, what more we want to complain. It's the government that didnt not inform earlier on the cutting off water supply.

I had never encounter a person in high position would take the hard effort to fo the pumping job. I found out later that he was the GM there. If i had a chance to meet him i would salute him. He is the MAN that manages the resort even in a tough condition. I asked more after i heard that and they says that the spot that they used to pump water when there is no supply,has dried up. He had to climb 1km up the slope to get another source of water, connecting the water hose or paip to get water to the resort.

Overall just the water spoil a bit of my holiday but the effort compensated my loss. I still hope people out there will try to have a stay. On my way back waiting for my plane, i chat with a couple sitting next to me. I asked them where they stay and surprisingly we stay at the same resort and they told me it was a nice place and great holiday despite no water.

*Highly recommended to those that wanted a quiet environment, not to noisy or too happening.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Abbybaby
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Horribly located up a hill, cutaway from everything. The beach.. well.. it's just pathetic! It's opposite the jetty so water is average, or poor for redang... and it's just a small pathetic little strip. There's another one apparently, 3km away from the resort. Didn't go there though. The service is not the best. The resort is poorly kept. The rooms however are decent, clean, and the beds are comfy. But at whole, I will not be going here again, ever. It's a waste of time. It's like going to a beach resort in and island, and not being able to experience the 'resort' and the 'island'.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Stayed there 1 night due to a last minute trip and many other hotels were full.
This hotel is 100m from the landing track. But no worry, very few flights per day.
The rooms are wooden cottages which can be reached after a fair walk. We had to carry our luggages. Staffs spoke very little english and were not that helpful go help us to organize boats. View on thebeach was disappointed

• Stayed June 2013
Singapore
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Even spending time writing this review is a waste of time for a place like this, but I felt it was my duty to warn fellow travellers of this poor excuse of a resort.

The entire resort is worn out and in need of a major overhaul. The reception area looks dreadful and old and the only thing worth mentioning was that it was well ventilated. The public toilet near the so-called restaurant is in a horrible state and absolutely stuffy in the hot weather. It was not ventilated nor air-conditioned and one of the cubicle doors couldn't even close. The main restaurant looked so dated and depressing and the worse thing about it is the food. This is really the worse resort restaurant I have ever been to and they don't take any pride in their quality of food. It was barely edible. Just thinking about their buffet spread kills my appetite.

Next, their rooms. They are housed in little chalet like structures with 2 rooms on the 2nd level and 2 rooms on the ground floor. The rooms and structure are mostly wooden and mouldy, and good luck to you if you are a light sleeper. You can practically hear the conversations next door and the thumping on the ceiling when your upstairs neighbours walk around their room. I also do not understand why the management couldn't spend some money to put up shower curtains in the shower stall. The entire toilet and the floor will basically become a pool when you finish showering! How much will a cheap plastic shower curtain cost?

Then, out of the 3 days we were there, there was intermittent water supply for 2 days. The first time it happened, I was lucky I had finished my shower. The water flow just stopped and the management didn't even have the courtesy to inform their guests. The next time it happened, the resort did bother to write a note to inform the guests but the note they gave us at 10pm that night had mentioned that the water supply will come back on around midnight. However, the water supply dried up again when we woke up the next day. We saw many guests squatting by the common water points along the footpath brushing their teeth and others walking to the pool toilet to shower. This is really shameful for a resort who dares call themselves 3-star!

Oh, the resort is also located on a slightly elevated hill at the beginning of the air strip, so if you enjoy watching planes landing, this will be a great location for you to watch the landing in action close up and hear the roar of the turbo-prop engine!

So, please, don't even think about coming here unless you are using this as an excuse to get out of a relationship! Be warned!

Room Tip: There are none.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Laguna Redang Island Resort
#1 of 12 in Pulau Redang
Sari Pacifica Hotel, Resort & Spa - Redang Island
Sari Pacifica Hotel, Resort & Spa - Lang Tengah
Sari Pacifica Hotel, Resort & Sp...
#2 of 3 in Pulau Lang Tengah
Coral View Island Resort
Coral View Island Resort
#3 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Redang Pelangi Resort
Redang Pelangi Resort
#5 of 12 in Pulau Redang

Been to Redang Island Resort? Share your experiences!