“Needs overhaul”

Redang Island Resort
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Pulau Redang
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I generally don't give a rating of poor to the resort I stayed in.

I am a very easy going person, and I've stayed in a lot of places that are basic, in the jungle, and a lot of things but this one just tops it simply by being badly managed.

1stly, the accessability is just way off. It has a small 100m 'beach' which is too rocky to swim, and it is in the middle of the villagers of Redang island. so there is no beach nearby so you're pretty much stuck in the island.

1st night was ok. but the day after, there is no water! we called to the reception and their answer was. "This is normal and standard, every morning there's no water" We have to walk to all the way to to lobby to relieve ourselves and clean ourselves up.

The 2nd night was worst. Being in the tropical forest, we thought it was raining at 3am in the morning when it sounded like the water dripping on the leaves. It sounded so soothing. But to our horror, it was "raining" in our room. The floors were all wet. We manage to sort that out in the morning. We expect some compensation but none was given . Not even apologizing.

Berjaya need to step up the game and properly manage this.

All the stories you read here makes sense. I mean, coming from my own country, I can't even tolerate that. How can other country people tolerate it?!?!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Elluminate
There are newer reviews for Redang Island Resort

Reviewed 24 July 2013

If your idea of a redang holiday is to relax by a whte sandy beach, then avoid this place at all cost!
1)The location is terrible, there is no significant beach to speak of. The rest of the beaches (esp Long Beach) are not accessible by foot; you need to to take a boat ride out.
2)It's not even cheap. There are a lot of hidden cost involved, as you need to pay for the transport out. Snorkeling and trekking are charged extra.
3)There are no shops, no night life, wifi wasn't working, and the ceiling creaked when the occupants in the above unit walked about. The aircon is old and noisy, and not cold at all. I don't even know why they put a TV in the room, as the reception is bad, and there is only 1 english channel.
4)The food is expensive and mediocre, and there is only 1 restaurant available.
5)The only reason why I booked this place was all the other places were fully booked. If I had known it was this terrible, I would have skipped this trip altogether.

Room Tip: Don't bother! 2nd level units will avoid creaking ceilings when people walk about. Bring your ow...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank hikerdriver
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We didn't plan this holiday but since a friend had an extra set of 2 rooms, we grabbed at the opportunity of a short break. After our flights were booked - my husband and I and our 2 boys, I started to read reviews about the resort. I was very disappointed. I imagined that this trip would not be worth it. I told my older son and he said this "if you dont expect too high it shouldn't be that bad". I believed him but when the captain of Berjaya Air said that we might have to land in Terengganu instead and take the ferry to the island due to the bad haze, my heart sank. Luckily we finally landed on the island straight. That was a relief!

Yes, most of the things mentioned here in the review were right but not once we regretted our stay. When we late for breakfast, the supervisor waited for us with her team. We were embarassed that we didn't like the spread and would only have coffee. The supervisor was still smiling and served us coffee. She didn't even charge us for the coffee and the egg my younger son took because she said it was already closing time.

When we had problem with the tap in the shower room, the maintenance came almost immediately and finally moved both rooms to another building to repair the bathroom (they could have moved just one room but probably we are a family of 4 with connecting room).

Overall, with great lunch & dinner in 2 of the village restaurants with our 25 fish caught at our fishing trip (we brought them to the restaurant to be cooked various dishes), I think it was a great experience with least problems.

It is not a 5-star resort after all and objective should just be fishing and snorkeling! We don't mind going back for fishing again. I caught the biggest fish which we grilled it and so proud of it because it was my first try!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We booked this resort under BVC, when I first arrived at the lobby i tried to find where is the beach! We had to climb down the stairs and was super disappointed to see the small stretch of beach which is not suitable to swim. I was totally heart broken, what is it to stay at redang without a beach. The resort is situated at an isolated side, if you want to get groceries you need the hotel staff to send us out to the nearby village. What kinda pissed me off is that the receptionist didn't tell us they actually offer van service to send us to the village until i saw it on facebook. They actually ask us to take the taxi service which need to be pay. The room is a wooden cottage and is abit lack of maintenance. I hope they do check their room first before letting their guest to stay in it. For people that would like to stay isolated this might be the place, it comes with swimming pool, open fitness centre, and massage. However, i would never go back.

Room Tip: Seaview room would be better
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank dreamy117
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I had my first visit to redang island on 29 June 2013. I been to this Redang Island Resort. The price wasn't costly still affordable. After i booked my friends says you should read the comments in tripadvisor. After reading it i was like oh my goodness! There goes my beach and sunshine. Arrived there with Berjaya Air. The landing was horrifying but the gentleman sit next to me says it's normal as the track is short so they have to land in a such way. Ok fine and still pray everything gone be good, not to say best but i pray for better.The resort picked me and my friend up and within 5 min we reached the resort.

First impression wasn't that bad on how it looks like. (not as scary as mentioned in here). Friendly receptionist attended our check in process, have to wait some time to get into the room as we were there early. we walked around the lobby, looked around, not bad (i say to myself) beautiful swimming pool, peep at the cafe, food looks nice and delicious. We got our room and it was a seaview room. I would say superb view.

We then went for snorkeling, friendly "captain" tells us a lot about the stops we went. Back to the resort, OH MY GOD!! No water supply!! When we were at the reception we overheard the reception talking over the phone saying that their person in charge there is going up the hill to pump water for us. We was like, if a manager would take the effort to find water for us, what more we want to complain. It's the government that didnt not inform earlier on the cutting off water supply.

I had never encounter a person in high position would take the hard effort to fo the pumping job. I found out later that he was the GM there. If i had a chance to meet him i would salute him. He is the MAN that manages the resort even in a tough condition. I asked more after i heard that and they says that the spot that they used to pump water when there is no supply,has dried up. He had to climb 1km up the slope to get another source of water, connecting the water hose or paip to get water to the resort.

Overall just the water spoil a bit of my holiday but the effort compensated my loss. I still hope people out there will try to have a stay. On my way back waiting for my plane, i chat with a couple sitting next to me. I asked them where they stay and surprisingly we stay at the same resort and they told me it was a nice place and great holiday despite no water.

*Highly recommended to those that wanted a quiet environment, not to noisy or too happening.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Abbybaby
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Horribly located up a hill, cutaway from everything. The beach.. well.. it's just pathetic! It's opposite the jetty so water is average, or poor for redang... and it's just a small pathetic little strip. There's another one apparently, 3km away from the resort. Didn't go there though. The service is not the best. The resort is poorly kept. The rooms however are decent, clean, and the beds are comfy. But at whole, I will not be going here again, ever. It's a waste of time. It's like going to a beach resort in and island, and not being able to experience the 'resort' and the 'island'.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Stayed there 1 night due to a last minute trip and many other hotels were full.
This hotel is 100m from the landing track. But no worry, very few flights per day.
The rooms are wooden cottages which can be reached after a fair walk. We had to carry our luggages. Staffs spoke very little english and were not that helpful go help us to organize boats. View on thebeach was disappointed

• Stayed: June 2013
Laguna Redang Island Resort
#1 of 12 in Pulau Redang
Sari Pacifica Hotel, Resort & Spa - Redang Island
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & Beach Chalet
Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & B...
#8 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Redang Pelangi Resort
Redang Pelangi Resort
#4 of 12 in Pulau Redang
Redang Derimba
Redang Derimba
#5 of 27 in Kuala Terengganu

Been to Redang Island Resort? Share your experiences!