“Great staff, place ok”

Redang Bay Resort
Milan, Italy
“Great staff, place ok”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

The resort is ok, rooms are basic, they do not clean them till check out! Food was not very good and finished 1/2hour after the opening of the buffet, so we ended up having dinner and breakfast somewhere else. But the manager and the staff was really nice and helpful, snorkeling and possibility for scuba diving.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank bdb b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Stone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Three of us took a four night, five day (longer than the average two nights) stay at Redang Bay and had an amazing, fun-filled time.

I had visited before approximately 8 years ago and was pleased to see that there had been investment in decking and relaxation areas on the beachfront, a swimming pool and chalet-style rooms for 2/3 people towards the back of the resort.

- Redang Bay is far and away the quietest resort on the beach, with no loud music but a chilled out, relaxed atmosphere that lends itself more to a sociable drink at the bar than being kept up half the night by loud music. There are plenty of areas to sit in the evening with views of the beach the sunset.

- The snorkelling and diving opportunities are fantastic and I struggle to see how they could be beaten. The locations change every day (even after 4 days of snorkelling we didn't visit the same one twice) and the guides are friendly, helpful and keen to show you sights under the water than you might miss yourself.
We also took an 'island hopping' snorkelling day trip (at additional cost but still highly affordable as an additional boat was needed just for us) with the highly experienced and helpful guide Mr. Foo. He was a pleasure to take this trip with, taking us to locations to see leatherback turtles, clown fish, stingrays and baby sharks. We felt safe and well catered for. He also shot photographs of us with an underwater camera for us to look back and remember a wonderful holiday.

- The food was plentiful and served four times a day (breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner). Although not every dish was to my personal liking, there was always something tasty in amongst the several dishes on offer and the barbecued lamb steaks and chicken were delicious. Every meal comes with soup.

- We opted to stay in one of the chalet-style rooms at the back of the resort (a higher price but worth it), which was spacious, clean and with both an en-suite toilet and separate shower room which was convenient for a group sharing. Beds were comfy, the room came with a television, small fridge and a highly-functional air-conditioning unit. Towels were provided and there was a soap dispenser in the shower.

- Far and away one of the best things about Redang Bay Resort was the friendly, approachable and helpful attitude of the staff. Everyone from the reception staff, cleaners, restaurant staff, chefs and snorkelling guides were always ready to help and share an anecdote about their time on the island in the process. They have a real passion for the place and are an asset to the resort.

I would highly recommend visiting Redang Bay Resort. Everything was taken care of from the moment we touched down at Terengganu Airport; taxi pick up (they even texted in advance with the name and registration of our driver which was a major safety bonus), ferry journey and carrying our luggage up the beach. I cannot speak highly enough of the time we spent there, the people that we met and the experiences we had in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Room Tip: The chalet rooms (I stayed in #19 - 3 people) are of a much higher standard, but you get what you pa...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SherlockH1990
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Since I was going to Redang during a very busy time it was hard to find a place. I'm travelling on my own and Redang Bay had space but I had to pay the full amount for a double room as a single person. Terrible. So I decided to take the dorm room (share of 4) instead. Upon arrival the place was crowded and the room terrible, with no window and bunk beds. The bathroom was outside of the room with only Malaysian (sit-down style) toilets. So I wouldn't recommend this place, especially not for a solo traveller. I don't know about the rooms but the place I switched to - Coral Redang - is much much nicer, has rooms charged at single rate and you don't have to book a package. Unfortunately the Redang Bay resort does not provide a refund, another minus I think since you are simply entitled to it if you are not satisfied in my opinion.

Room Tip: Don't go for th dorm.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Pauliendehaes

Travellers are raving about these Pulau Redang hotels

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Traveled on 27th July 2013 and stayed for 3 days 2 nights, and 6 pax in the group.

When we first walked in to the room, we didn't expect much for the room condition to be nice (as long as clean) as we thought that we will not spend so much time in the room. Some of the previous reviews in TA also made me somehow prepared for the worst.

However, the negatives feedback are proven WRONG. We stepped into a beautiful room, spacious and very clean. Although we opt for 2 pax for each room, but each room has provide one single bed and one queen size bed - which can accommodate 3 pax.

Hot shower and aircond are good, bed is very comfortable and the beach is just outside your door.

The food too - are good and they changed their menu for the 3 consecutive days. Two best dishes are definitely their SOTONG! (Sweet sour squid) and grilled lamb! I think I may come back to this resort for this two dishes!

Staff - needless to say, are all friendly and kind. They are helpful - even helping me to play mahjong with my friends, and impressively, they can speak more than 2 languages!

I would definitely return to this Resort in the future, and you may book directly with them, but I get myself and my friends quite a good and reasonable price with Jouis Travel (based in Penang).

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Get the chalet room type, and best if you can get those nearer to their reception counter / swimming...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Shobra1
Kuantan, Malaysia
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Just got back from Redang Bay Resort we stayed 3 night 4 days and what a wonderful time we had. I was bit concerned as I am use to staying at 5 star hotels but were all fully booked so we decided to give this one ago and how pleased we did. The staff were so friendly and helpful, rooms were good size and clean. Want to go back as soon as possible.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the newer chalets by the pool number 7. If you want some night life there are l...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sunbeam71
Johor
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My Family of 4 was here last week. We stayed for 3 nights 4 days. The service was excellent. Very helpful staff. Always willing to help. The room was excellent. However, the water in the room had a bit smell. Had problem with the room air-cond when we first arrived. But was fixed immediately after we made report to the staff. The snorkeling timing was excellent. Always on time. The food is good for the price and always more than enough and always punctual. Nice sandy beach very close to the resort and can see many beautiful fishes near to the beach. Had a dive trip with this resort dive center. The dive master was excellent. Very cool and experience. Had a wonderful dive and he showed many things underwater. Would give high recommendations to use this dive center for future dives. Many Thanks to Akira and George, Marina, the dive masters and Gokul (service and snorkeling staff) for a wonderful service and help.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Resort around the area is pretty much similar, and I would rate Redang Bay as enough, our room with air condition and hot water was comfortable, water to rise sand from our feet outside our room were good as I recall not all beach resort has this; is a brilliant idea to keep our room sand free. Now, one comment about the noise we heard; my friend and I were both woken up by this noise that believe is coming from moving of gas tank, it was at approximately 4 or 5 am in the morning. The management should really consider a better way to manage this, perhaps staff should be more cautious about working at wee hours like this.Other than this, it quite a decent place for a short break away.

Room Tip: Perhaps don't stay in a room near to their mini pool or kitchen or main building to avoid noise
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
#5 of 12 in Pulau Redang
Redang Derimba
Redang Derimba
#4 of 25 in Kuala Terengganu

Been to Redang Bay Resort? Share your experiences!