“Amazing Experience”
Review of Dar Meziana

Dar Meziana
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Chefchaouen
Reviewed 7 January 2013

This was the first time I and my wife had experienced a Dar! To our surprise this was a cute little "Bed and Breakfast" type Hotel with no more than 5 to 6 rooms. The receptionist, porters, cooks, etc. were the same folks (appeared to be a family) and worked very efficiently. Our room was really very neat and clean but with a interesting twist. The room was cute and small cut right into the mountain. We had a couple of locations near the bed where the rock facade popped right into the room through the white-washed wall. It felt as if we were sleeping in a four star cave! In the morning we came down for breakfast and we were asked if we would like to do the breakfast on the roof terrace. A great breakfast was presented to us on the roof terrace with spectacular view. We stayed in this hotel for two nights and completely enjoyed the Dar experience. We agreed to stay here again if we visited Chefchaouen again!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

This was by far my most favourite stay in morocco, beautiful scenery felt very safe, just make sure you make the most of this amasing town because for such a small place there are lots to see, we did borrow a member of staff to take us round to show us the sights, but was well worth it!! A very magical little place! :)

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 24 December 2012

Wow!!! I insisted when I got to Chefchaouen that me and my friend stayed somewhere amazing, and I wasn't going to settle for anything less than perfect. So I had a look on Tripadvisor and this is one of the places that came up, and boy am I glad we went. Located nearer the top end of the Chefchoauen medina, the rooftop terrace overlooks the whole of the Blue city.

Staying in November, in the quiet season we were very lucky to have the place to ourselves for two nights. The Riad itself is one of absolute beauty, and every aspect of it has been designed and thought about carefully to suit your every need. Although, it may be at the top end of some peoples budgets, if you require a perfect stay with zero regrets this is the place to be. The staff are so lovely and helpful (Massive shout out to Naoufal, who made our stay and looked after us very well). The rooms are gorgeous and the bed we stayed in was one of the comfiest in Morocco. The room we chose didn't have view but we chose it due to its proximity to the terrace which was a perfect place to relax after a long day out in Chefchaouen.

We had a beautiful breakfast on the terrace every morning, staring out at the stunning Rif mountains around us. We had lovely hot showers everyday. Bare in mind at this time of year (November) it can be quite cold in the mountains. We were looking at about 4 degrees when we were there.

We found that Chefchaouen was the real Morocco, where no-one tried to charge us crazy European prices because we were tourists. We really found our home here in Morocco. And we will only come back to Morocco due to our great experience here.

Like many before us, we will never forget our stay here. And when we come back to Chefchaouen we will only be staying here.

Room Tip: Paying the extra for one of the larger rooms will definitely be a must for us next time. It would de...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Yin_11
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We stayed at this riad for 2 nights in October 2012. We had room at the terrace. This room had a queen size bed, firm and comfortable with decent linens. Bathroom was reasonable size with strong hot water. Wifi was free and had good connection.

Breakfast served at the roof terrace, food was good, fried pastries, cakes and baguette, butter, jams and honey, fried eggs, coffee and tea. Dinner, which was included in the restaurant of the sister property – Casa Hassan, some good food choices there, we like the classic dishes such as couscous and tajine of meat.

The location of this riad is convenient, takes about 8 minutes to get to the town square. Chefchaouen is a very relaxed city, to my options; it is good to spend 1-2 days here.

Note:
This riad has many levels and steps are deep, and in some parts steps are narrow. Asking for lower level room if you have problem dealing with these stairs.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank JaneJ2010
Reviewed 23 October 2012

My two friends and I had rooms for a 2-night stay at the Dar Meziana and were delighted with its cozy, quaint charm. Though small, my room was decorated in a lovely turquoise bed cover and hangings with other bright touches of color in the Berber rugs and pillows. The bureau was brightly painted in flowers, and the bed was very comfortable. The bath, done in old Moroccan tiles with a copper sink and fittings, was also small but outfitted with plenty of soft towels and amenities. The room was air-conditioned with a small wall unit that worked very quietly and efficiently. From bottom to top up winding stairs, little alcoves and lovely tiles add to the authentic beauty of the dar. A pretty roof-top terrace with blooming flowers and a magnificent view of Chefchaouen and the mountains is where a lavish breakfast is served -- local honey, Moroccan "pancakes" and flat breads, fried breads, eggs, fresh juice, delicious homemade yogurt, and more. The owner and other staff are dedicated to the comfort of guests and were very helpful in every way. The blue lane leading into the dar is narrow and winds up broad steps to the flowery entrance -- a beautiful introduction to the Blue City. I won't forget this experience and recommend the Dar Meziana and the city of Chefchaouen as real highlights on our extensive tour of Morocco.

Room Tip: My room half-way up the stairs to the roof-top terrace opened off a small sitting area. Perfect for...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank cadkison
Reviewed 6 October 2012

The room took my breath away, a yummy breakfast was served on a lovely terrace, with a delicious view of the Rif Mountains, the staff went well out of their way to help 3 city-weary travellers. I shall never forget my stay here and highly recommend it to others. Thank you to the lovely and friendly staff of Dar Meziana, who accomodated all of our wishes.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Welcome to the blue city in the mountains. This is actually a Riad and it is beautiful it is quaint and cosy. My room was a delight very authentic and stylishly decorated in the most wonderful colours. Breakfast is served on the terrace and is massive. The owners of the Riad also own a fantastic restaurant just a close walk nearby. Once again nothing was too much trouble, I fad hurt my foot so they organised to bring my dinner to me instead of me having to go out!!! The rooms are very clean and my bathroom was as well. It wasn't all that modern as it only had a hand shower however that didn't dampen the wonderful experience. As this is a mountain city you won't be able to drive to the front door and be ready for a lot of stairs. I felt this Riad opened its arms and gave me a great big hug.

• Stayed: September 2012