“Had A Good Time”
Review of Hotel Dar Mounir

Hotel Dar Mounir
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Chefchaouen
Reviewed 23 November 2012

I stayed two days at this hotel and it was one of the best experiences I had in Morocco. It was clean and the room was comfortable. They gave me the option of breakfast in my room, on the rooftop, or at their cafe down the street. The rooftop had a great view of the city and was very quiet, so you can actually enjoy the view. Overall, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank motyk

Reviewed 19 September 2012

Stayed for 2 nights as part of a tour. It's quite quirky, and some could get annoyed with the hobbit sized doors, no air con and distance from the road. However we loved it.

We found the front desk to be very helpful offering tips of where to go, and the breakfast of orange juice, coffee, bread, and pancakey things with butter, jam and honey from the associated Cafe Snack Mounir to be basic, but a good start to the day.

We had to wait for an hour to check in, so we also had lunch served on the hotels rooftop terrace (a great place to chill out in the evening). The menu is limited, and even then the lamb tagine and cous cous were not available. Having said that the chicken tagine was absolutely delicious.

I'm sure the hotel wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but we would happily stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sc00bysnacks
Reviewed 7 August 2012 via mobile

Hard to get if you have luggage you are carrying. I would stay closer to road. Also, very loud with people on streets and rooster in morning.

Charming rooms, but smelled like cat urine.

Pros - air condition, Internet and TV
Cons - hard to find, loud, small doors and not very friendly at front desk

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank tonyC34WeHo
Reviewed 2 May 2012

The Dar Mounir Hotel is right in the middle of Chechauen, this picturesque and pretty village in the Rif Mountains. It is a family business. The short walk from where you park the hotel, which is of course, painted blue, like most of the houses, is beautiful in itself and you have the feeling you are entering something real and Maroccan. The rooms are very small, but very clean and pretty and they have their bathroom with shower. It was quite cold when we went, but they do have a heating and it was on. In the night we heard the call of the Muezzin, the street cats and the roosters in the morning. It was really a lovely experience and Mounier who welcomed us at the hotel was very helpful. Don't bring much luggage though, no space and lots of steep steps. But I recommend this hotel over any other in Chefchauen, specially the cold and unfriendly Parador, which is much more expensive.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank crestellina
Reviewed 22 February 2012

When we arrived, we had to look for accommodation, as our hotel told us they had given our room to someone else(!) At Dar Mounir they were very nice. We saw on internet that it was slightly more expensive than our hotel and they let us stay for the same price. Staff was very friendly and rooms were warm and comfy. It's a bit small but it didn't bother us. Location was amazing and has a great terrace. I really recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 February 2012

This was the first town I stayed in while in Morrocco and it set a very high standard. Apart from the hotel being absolutely beautiful, with well appointed rooms and a lovely terrace for our use in the evenings, the staff were brilliant. My Visa card was eaten up on the last morning I was in Chefchaouen. I was quite worried! I asked the owner of the hotel for advice on to how do I get it back. He stopped helping with breakfast, wrote a note in Arabic for me to take to the bank. I had my card back by the time I left at midday. My dealings with the people of Chefchaouen were all of this nature. My early breakfast on my first day enabled me to have an arabic lesson with the cafe owner, who was more than happy to spend his time helping me learn a few of the basic phrases I would need. The hotel is extremely close to the Medina and is quite beautiful. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable. Most of all they are very Morrocan in style. I loved it and would stay there again if the chance ever came.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank anne g
Reviewed 14 January 2012

We stayed here with our two children for 2 nights. The hotel is in the centre of the village so ideal for exploring, and the staff were very helpful. The owner also owns a cafe on the corner of the main square. I asked where I could buy the traditional 'pasteles' or 'b'steeya's', he had his mother make some up specially for us ready for the following day.

The rooms are clean and well furnished with traditional morrocan furniture. The only problem was the heating was working very well and it was cold at night if you got out from under the covers (we went in winter). I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting chefchaouen.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family