“NOT recommended”
Review of Hotel Dar Terrae

Hotel Dar Terrae
Ranked #18 of 64 Chefchaouen B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I cannot recommend anyone staying here. It seemed a nice place at first, but communication is difficult. The owners speaks Italian but others only Arabic. I had a cold room (no heating) and an even colder shower. I asked after the 1st night if they could explain how it worked, cold and hot seemed to be switched. Other people had a nice shower, but I struggled to get somebody to help me, had to wait 1 hour before a guy woke up and turned the hot water on. I nearly missed my bus and all the owner managed to say was sorry but not looking like he meant it and collected his money. Service is really poor. Breakfast was bad, coffee they served was definitely not Italian. In the only room with some heating everyone smoked. And the wifi only worked outside and on the ground-floor. So I was freezing my ss off in this place and left feeling bad.

Room Tip: Find a place nearby
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Jens-Johanson_72
There are newer reviews for Hotel Dar Terrae

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Extremely friendly! Delicious breakfast and dinner. You couldn't ask for a better service. Come here if you want an authentic Moroccan experience. Excellent location. Kosimo, Bilal and their family are amazing hosts. they took care of everything and helped us with absolutely everything. We recommend it 100%.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank AnaMariaArr
Reviewed 23 November 2013

8 danes on a 21 days roundtrip in Morocco starting in Chefchauen.
Dar Terrae is a very autentic and colorfull place with an exelent athmosfere. Every room is an expirience.
You feel like you are a part of the family and everyting is done, to make you feel at home :-)
With the charming Medina just outside the door, you feel like living in Chefchouen.

Thanks to the family for wonderful 3 night at yor fantastic place - a splendid introduction to Morocco and thanks for the homemade Christmasharts with lavender - now giving spirit to the Danish Christmas :-)

Many greetings from Anna Grethe

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank AnnaGrethe2013
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed in this riad for 2 nights. We really enjoyed it and the staff and hosts were all very kind. It's their home so don't stay here if you want 5 star but we enjoyed the stay its a traditional riad and it was clean. It's in a great position in the medina and is quiet from outside noise.

Room Tip: SmAll intimate riad with lots of character
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank 8Colleen
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed at Dar Terrae in 2004 and when I came back in 2013 had the same great charm as it did then. Bilal and Kosimo took great care of my friends and me, they managed all of our arrangements and made sure we felt comfortable during our stay. The place has an intimate feel with traditional decor. I definitely would suggest organizing a home cooked dinner there.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank melanie a
Reviewed 9 August 2013

When I visited Chefchaouen this was my first option for accommodation. I was very excited because Dar Terrae brought together some things to make my stay memorable in a good way, according to the pictures on their website.
Traditional Morrocan building, full of travellers to talk and share experiences and nice terraces.

However, when I visited them to decide if I would stay or not, all my excitement gone!

In fact the "ingredients" to a nice experience as I imagined were there. But the "ingredients" to a nice and quite night not!

The rooms are dark, the only existing windows are to the terraces, the sound isolation were bad, the beds uncomfortable (size and quality) and worse the musty smell. Besides the bathrooms were not inside the bedrooms, they must be shared.

Anyway, the staff were very nice during my visit.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Henrique d
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We stayed one night in Chefchauen; we found this place on the Lonelyplanet book with no reservation. The hotel is pretty though there is not much light. Price was honest. Our small room was nice with a small window on the patio. Bathroom was nice but there is a curtain as a door which doen't give you much intimacy. Of course the hotel is all blue as the rest of the city. Fortunately the other guests were not too noisy because you could hear everything from inside the room. There is a lovely small living room; we've been told it was the personal lounge room of the owner but we could watch TV there and have a tea. We also had breakfast in that room. Breakfast was standard: orange juice, omelette, bread and jams, coffee and milk. Staff was kind though we have been suggested by they guy who welcomed us to try a restaurant we didn't really like. Definitely o good choice for one night.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple