“A querky atmospheric place to stay”
Review of Hotel Madrid

Hotel Madrid
Ranked #29 of 63 Chefchaouen B&B and Inns
Kent
“A querky atmospheric place to stay”
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Really feels like Morocco - even the pink walls are worth putting up with. Good breakfast. Lounge area a great place for sitting and chatting. Also a really convenient place to stay. Well worth the climb from the bus station.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank CazTKent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Korean first
NY, NY
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I loved this place! The location right outside the center meant it was quiet at night. The over- the-top andalusian decor really seems to have perplexed some, but I thought it was quite fitting. The staff all seemed to be teenagers, but were very helpful and super friendly. The breakfast was good; tea and cookies upon arrival even better. My room and bathroom were clean and I didn't find the stairs hazardous at all. I would definitely go back!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank wanderercf
HamiltonNZ
Reviewed 23 September 2012

This place has sooo much potential but is in need of some very strong management and maintenance.
My room was at the top of seven flights of stairs with no lift. Thats not too bad...but the stairs were a deathtrap. The carpert was a hazard as the metal bars that hold the carpet in place were missing or flapping around. Had there been a need to evacuate in the middle of the night it would have been a disaster.
My room was hard to unlock and then impossible to lock again so I had to sleep with my bags aganist the door.
There was no AC in the rooms and it was unbearable. It was 37 outside and I beleive it was close to 45-48 in my room. Even with the small window open there was no relief and I woke up the next day with a huge headache.
When I went to have a shower there were no towells in the room. Other guests were told to go up to the roof and collect their towels from the terrace clothesline. This is not acceptable.
I did not enjoy my stay at all here...and was glad to leave.

However, the one saving grace was that breakfast was lovely. There was a good vareity and it was well stocked.

But I would suggest that unless this hotel has a major revamp...do not stay here.

Room Tip: If you value your safety in an emergency situatiuon...do not stay here until there has been an impro...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Chefchaouen hotels

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I was there december 2011 with my 80 years old mother. It was a mistake. The place is a little far from the mais square, not very clean, therrible bathrooms and is not climatized.

I would say there is a hotel at the main square called Parador ( if I am not mistaken) that would have been much better although I heard there is no good place to stay in Chaouen.

Still, if you are young and want a -more or less- proper place and cheap... go for it. They serve breakfast and there is wi fi for free.

Room Tip: At the first floor you may get free wi fi at your room.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
McDonough, Georgia
Reviewed 11 October 2011

I stayed here my first night in Chefchaouen. The room I was in was a little too pink for my taste. The staff was not very helpful. The breakfast was not bad. I found another place to stay for my second night. Don't get me wrong. Hotel Madrid is not a bad place to stay but there are better options in Chef. If you are in a pinch it will do.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank rtbank75
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed 3 September 2011

It's my second time there. the location is nice, just 5 or 10 minutes walking from the main square. You do have to climb some stairs to go to your room but apart from that it's all good. Will probably stay there next time. Only downside is that it does not have wifi.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Sydney
Reviewed 20 June 2011

This is a very beautiful hotel. The location is good, and the staff were very nice and helpful. I wasn't sure about the bus timetable and the staff just gave me all the info I needed. I tipped him but he didn't take it and said he just wanted to help. This was very impressive, especially when you are in a country that everyone try to make money from tourists. And it has wifi!! I was in love with this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends