“Dar Gabriel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Chefchaouen
London, United Kingdom
“Dar Gabriel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

I stayed at Dar Gabriel over Xmas 2012. It is a wonderful, friendly welcoming hotel and Ben and Izza (and family) are the perfect hosts.

i wouldn't hesitate to stay again, or recommend to anyone visiting Chefchaoun.

Stuart.

1 Thank Stuart M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

I stayed here with my sister last September and loved the delightful Dar Gabriel. It is perfectly situated just inside the enticing medina, so ideal for wandering with a camera and shopping basket. (compared to other Moroccan towns like Essaouira or Marrakech` - here there is the an easy laid back atmosphere. Friendly shopkeepers, hassle free browsing and great shopping - tin lanterns ,rugs, jewellery, cushion covers, bobble tasselled hats, lemonwood bellows ) But, Dar Gabriel is the point of it all. It;s a wonderful welcoming and cosy place. Very comfortable rooms in bright Moroccan colours. Spotlessly clean bathrooms. Good roof terrace where you can look out on the town and hills beyond. Delicious suppers ( much better than food elsewhere) cooked by the charming manager Ben Salam's wife . HIghly recommended!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Karen W
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

I have travelled around Morocco a lot and I can tell you from experience that most of the places I have stayed at in Morocco don't know a thing about Ambience or customer service, Dar Gabriel on the other hand has to be the most ambient and friendly hotel in the country (or pretty damn near!). Ben Salam and his family are so welcoming, everything that I could have asked for in a host. The rooms are nicely themed, and the roof terrace is amazing, with spectacular views over the town! My first few nights in Chefchaouen I went out to eat... and was generally disapointed by what I found in the main squares and restaurants. On my fourth (i think) night, Ben asked me if I would like to eat in the Hotel, so I did. Fecia (Ben's wife and Dar Gabriel's chef) prepared a 'pastel' for me and other guests- it was a chicken pastrie, typical of Morocco.. with fresh salads....and out of this world! I highly recommend Dar Gabriel!

1 Thank SequoiaHogg
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

Very nice riad, the rooms are good and the common areas are quite pleasant the views are amazing. We've stayed for almost a week, Ben and Izza (and family) are just perfect hosts and make you feel at home, always available to help. I must single out the restaurant, we tried several (well rated) other restaurants in chefchaouen and we were satisfied, but they are not even near of Izza's cooking, trust me, it is the best meal in town.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CarlosTeixeira
buenos aires
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

If it would be marketed as a budget hotel I would give it a good rating, but it was sold to me as a boutique hotel. If it hadn't been for the great manager they have I would have left right away. He helped me in everything , took excellent care of all my requests an was more than polite . However, the room was cold, poorly lit, the breakfast Terrible,no tv, no lunch or snacks, very precarious.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mistery s
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

I stayed at Dar Gabriel for nearly a week last July and loved it! The rooms are quaint and clean. The location is quiet and easy to find. Ben (the manager) is absolutely amazing! I have been to many places and I don't think I have ever felt so welcome. Ben and his family not only made me feel right at home but a part of their family. I enjoyed my stay tremendously and would not hesitate to return and stay with them again. Besides, Chefchaouen was one of my favorite places in all of Morocco.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank vagabloke
Agoura, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

I am at Dar Gabriel as I write this, and feeling at home in every way. Hosts Ben and Izza make wonderful meals, served kindly; Ben gives good tourist advice and their children are polite and sweet. It feels like staying with a real Berber family... which you are. My room is elegantly furnished, clean and just a few steps from two spectacular roof terraces.

A complaint I read in an earlier review, the lack of good reading light, has been solved with high-intensity goose-neck lamps over each bed. I would enjoy a small heater in the room, rather than the wall-mounted "warm panel" electric heater, which does not throw out much heat -- but for most of the year, this wouldn't be a problem.

I am very happy here and would recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: I love my rooftop room. Being able to step out and look over the town and up at the thick stars is...