“Lifesavers!”

Ranked #9 of 54 Chefchaouen B&B and Inns
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Lifesavers!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed here for one night. Arrived on a CTM bus, minus our luggage which the bus company had managed to send to the other side of Morocco! So, stressed out, panic stricken and exhausted - arriving quite late - we were so relieved to be met with friendly faces, a very clean and modern riad and beers! The owners were an enormous help, we're so grateful to them for their assistance in helping recover our missing luggage as they were on the phone to the bus company and translating for us, eventually running to the nearby restaurant to find us eating dinner and tell us the bags had been found and we'd be re-united with them tomorrow. Really surprised to read some of the reviews below. The hostel itself is fantastic from top to bottom, spotlessly clean, modern with a great rooftop terrace and WiFi throughout. Thanks again to Joe and Anne for their help and for what was (eventually) a great stay at Baraka!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrkckny
joechaouen, Owner at Riad Baraka, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Thanks for the review and so glad things worked out for you happy to help best wishes joe an his mam.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

I read reviews before I booked and expected to be shouted at on arrival. The riad is relatively easy to find. It's owner Joe was very welcoming showing us around and gave a lot I practical advice on Chaouen and morocco in general.

The rooms were clean, small, the roof terrace was fantastic and it was lovely to have beers there later on at night.

I was only there the one day and it was fine for me, didn't have any issues with Joe. I didn't have anything to do with his mother but I did see her about and she was not overly friendly which I thought was not a good sign especially in a hostel which should be accommodating and welcoming to guests.

Overall, ok for a short stay, it's a hostel after all and most of their rules are common sense rules nevertheless.

2 Thank Ravchek
joechaouen, Owner at Riad Baraka, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Thanks for your review it just left me wondering did you have any time to enjoy Chaouen after you had finished assessing the hostel?
Bologna
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

I stayed in Riad Baraka in August 2013... just one day, because the morning after the landlady impolitely told me to leave, claiming that I had made too much noise (note that I was travelling alone, which makes such claim frankly odd). Unpleasant experience. Also, I found the room overpriced compared to similar accomodation in town. Ok, the guesthouse is new and clean. However, only one toilet for all guests might be incovenient.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
24 Thank E P
joechaouen, Owner at Riad Baraka, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Hi the reason you were asked to leave is you were making orther guests feel un comfortable and we have six tiolets!!!
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

Hotel - very clean and comfortable, rooms are quite warm but have fans.
Showers are average (water goes from hot too cold very 4 seconds) and hot water turns off at 10pm.
Security of the hotel is very minimal using padlocks to lock your rooms but all of the padlocks work with all of the keys as we found out when we lost our key.

Roof terrace has a beautiful view of chefchouen and has alcohol that you can buy from the fridge.
Roof terrace has 2 tiers and top tier closes at 12.
When on roof terrace after about 12pm you CAN'T make ANY noise AT ALL or the owner will storm up and shout at you. Also you have to clean the terrace yourself with no thank you or any appreciation from the owner. This is a lovely hostel but too strict for the chefchouen lifestyle.

Staff- I have never been treated so badly at a hotel before and never felt so unwelcome. The owner is an english woman and she is definitely in the wrong business, as hospitality is not her forté.

She is grumpy,strict,rude and unwelcoming. The owner paroles the hotel waiting for noises, then threatens you to be SILENT or you will be kicked out. After a few days she got used too our noise and decided to talk to us as if we were normal human beings not children at school.
Overall the hotel is nice but the manager taints the experience

After travelling Australia,hong kong,Dubai,and Thailand I have never been treated in this way before by a hotel or a hostel

16 Thank Alex F
joechaouen, Owner at Riad Baraka, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
If you had played the part of the half decent guest, I would have played my part of the welcoming host. Instead you complimented me on how lovely and clean the Baraka is and then used it like your own personnel doss house. You had no appreciation for other guests or my neighbours . One day when you have something of your own you may be able to appreciate the way you treated me and my home.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

So we got to the hostel and it was stunning. Immaculately kept, beautifully authentic, clean rooms and a great roof terrace. However where the riad loses points is with the owner. Having travelled the whole of south america and morocco, I have never stayed in a place where I have felt so uncomfortable. The reason i felt this way was due to the rude, sarcastic, and extremely unwelcoming owners who created a hugely tense atmosphere for all of us. For example we were profusely yelled at by her because she thought we had a shower at 3am, which definitely did not happen, and proceeded to threaten to throw us out.
After 3 days of staying there I realised Anne is a helpful nice lady. She obviously just prejudged my friend and I before getting to know us a little better (perhaps being 2 small boys doesn't help). You just need to be respectful, and not make ANY noise WHATSOEVER. Or you'll be on the street! But other than that the riad was a little gem and chefchaouen is a marvellous town.

3 Thank Cuntrywho
joechaouen, Owner at Riad Baraka, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
We get the odd guests like you and your friend(above review) who think we are rude when we ask them to consider other guests and are offended when after being asked they are told! So you are entitled to your review at least it assures me you wont return.
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

When we arrived we received a warm welcome, but asking where we had already stayed or were going to stay the owners mother made derogatory remarks unfairly about them.
We had a confirmed a twin room, but were offered either a double bed or bunk beds, we opted for the latter not realising the size of the room, with no room to sit or hang any clothes. My traveling companion thought that this was more a hostel type room not what is expected in a Riad, and not suitable for more than one at a push to stay in. This I was unhappy with but was informed that they had no twin rooms. Why did they allow us to book it if that was the case? I did however find out that there was a twin, taken by other guests for the first night of our stay. As we had booked early in the year we should I felt have been offered this room on our arrival or at least when these guests in it had left, instead of denying that they had a twin room.
It was August very hot and we had duvets and no sheet, I asked for a sheet instead of the duvet and if it could be removed as I did smell smoke on it. She was very affronted by this stating that both duvet and cover were wash after each guest left. This was not seen apart from the one I had replaced by a sheet.
From then on I was made to feel unwelcome, awkward and ignored, I cannot recommend this Riad to anyone, it was clean, but not when the dogs were allowed to defecate on the roof terrace, this I had to asked to be removed.
Chefchaouen is a brilliant place to stay, there are plenty of delightful Riads to stay in, but this is a place I never want to return to.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
24 Thank Rosyposy54
joechaouen, Owner at Riad Baraka, responded to this review, 4 February 2016
To be honest I wanted to ask you to leave within Fifteen of your arrival I wanted you to leave but considering your age and high season I know I would have to let you and ruin the vibe and you did a great job and anyone who's bored enough to read this review and response, will probably realise what a pain in the.... They were and if you hadn't been in the house you hated and felt un welcome in 4 hours after check out you wouldn't have had to see the Trauma of my Yorky Deficating please please don't come back!
Vientiane, Laos
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this riad earlier this year so this review is a little late but our experience there bothered me so much and has stuck with me I decided to write a review finally. The owners were initially nice but lots of small things added up to a bad stay. They had a go at me on our first morning for walking into the kitchen, I didn't see a sign saying no entry like they have on other rooms around the house and the reaction was a bit over the top. I didn't know how breakfast worked so walked in to find out. Every morning they would start smoking pot at about 9am, inside, while we were eating breakfast- disgusting! The next thing was that they closed the roof top for a whole arvo and night to have there friends over, it seems like they want there privacy and guard it fiercely (when I ventured onto the rooftop and was rudely told it was closed) but they want to have people stay...cant have it both ways, or maybe you can but you can't be selfish and rude.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
25 Thank Lauren C
joechaouen, Owner at Riad Baraka, responded to this review, 4 February 2016
Let's be honest everything went fine until I had to ask you not leave the toilets in such an appalling state and then to be told by you this is my job , and we went down hill from there I'll admit I should have just asked you to leave and the Barbeque buffet on the terrace was a guests birthday and considering your toilet habits I think it's obvious why you weren't invited ! Cheers Joe