Riad Baraka
Hotel Casa Miguel(Chefchaouen)
Hotel Dar Mounir(Chefchaouen)
Dar Meziana(Chefchaouen)
  • Breakfast included
Lina Ryad & Spa(Chefchaouen)
Hotel Parador(Chefchaouen)
View Hotel
All reviewsroof terracethe ownerprivate roomplace to staymain gateenjoyed our stayhot watershared bathroomwonderful terracethe location is perfectsurrounding mountainsstunning viewsbeautiful placeannejoehostelriad
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I was a little unsure about my booking choice after reading some of the TA reviews below, but we only had good things to say about our stay and the staff.
Starting with the Riad itself and the rooms, it is easily the most modern, clean and practical riad of my stay in Morocco. You can tell it has the western touch (dvd room, beer fridge, clean towels/linen, nicely decorated) and small things are all thought about. The terrace is the winning feature, well set out and very inviting place to sit and waste away a few hours while listening to the chill out tunes and overlooking the rooftops of Chefchaouen.
Great location, very easy to find within the entrance of the medina and well signposted.

We had a couple of small hitches, the wifi was terrible on the first day, but fine the others, even when using skype and our hot water in our ensuite went out on our last morning meaning we had to line up for the communal showers, which doesn't bother me but we were leaving and hadn't left enough quite enough time to wait in line. Either way these were small things, which are not really fault of the owners- this is still a third world country and things are unpredictable, not to mention Joe was happy to get fixing it straight away! Fans in the room were a blessing!

Joe was so helpful with directions to get to Spain and we actually rerouted our entire departure based on his advice, which I think worked much better for us. We caught a grand taxi from Chefcahouen to Tangier to get a ferry instead of heading to Ceuta like initially planned.

To be fair to the owners, after reading negative reviews below I can only come to the conclusion that any personality clash may be stemmed from the fact that they have little tolerance for ignorant and obnoxious travelers. If you respect your surroundings, I am sure you will get along with them fine- like we did.

Look forward to staying in your next accommodation if you take on your next adventure in Cambodia some time in the future Joe!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SamBell83
joechaouen, Owner at Riad Baraka, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2016

Thank you for such a detailed and balanced view I really do try my best for guests Morocco can be a tough adventure sometimes and I will help and give as much. Advice as is needed. Your right though in return I do expect My guests , Team and neighbours shown some manners and sorry the gas ran out on you, gas provides endless hot water but bottles do run out and now I'm in Cambodia Seagarden Otres come see me!

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed here for one night. Arrived on a CTM bus, minus our luggage which the bus company had managed to send to the other side of Morocco! So, stressed out, panic stricken and exhausted - arriving quite late - we were so relieved to be met with friendly faces, a very clean and modern riad and beers! The owners were an enormous help, we're so grateful to them for their assistance in helping recover our missing luggage as they were on the phone to the bus company and translating for us, eventually running to the nearby restaurant to find us eating dinner and tell us the bags had been found and we'd be re-united with them tomorrow. Really surprised to read some of the reviews below. The hostel itself is fantastic from top to bottom, spotlessly clean, modern with a great rooftop terrace and WiFi throughout. Thanks again to Joe and Anne for their help and for what was (eventually) a great stay at Baraka!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mrkckny
joechaouen, Owner at Riad Baraka, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Thanks for the review and so glad things worked out for you happy to help best wishes joe an his mam.

Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

I read reviews before I booked and expected to be shouted at on arrival. The riad is relatively easy to find. It's owner Joe was very welcoming showing us around and gave a lot I practical advice on Chaouen and morocco in general.

The rooms were clean, small, the roof terrace was fantastic and it was lovely to have beers there later on at night.

I was only there the one day and it was fine for me, didn't have any issues with Joe. I didn't have anything to do with his mother but I did see her about and she was not overly friendly which I thought was not a good sign especially in a hostel which should be accommodating and welcoming to guests.

Overall, ok for a short stay, it's a hostel after all and most of their rules are common sense rules nevertheless.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Ravchek

Thanks for your review it just left me wondering did you have any time to enjoy Chaouen after you had finished assessing the hostel?

Reviewed 30 August 2013

I stayed in Riad Baraka in August 2013... just one day, because the morning after the landlady impolitely told me to leave, claiming that I had made too much noise (note that I was travelling alone, which makes such claim frankly odd). Unpleasant experience. Also, I found the room overpriced compared to similar accomodation in town. Ok, the guesthouse is new and clean. However, only one toilet for all guests might be incovenient.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
24  Thank E P

Hi the reason you were asked to leave is you were making orther guests feel un comfortable and we have six tiolets!!!

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Hotel - very clean and comfortable, rooms are quite warm but have fans.
Showers are average (water goes from hot too cold very 4 seconds) and hot water turns off at 10pm.
Security of the hotel is very minimal using padlocks to lock your rooms but all of the padlocks work with all of the keys as we found out when we lost our key.

Roof terrace has a beautiful view of chefchouen and has alcohol that you can buy from the fridge.
Roof terrace has 2 tiers and top tier closes at 12.
When on roof terrace after about 12pm you CAN'T make ANY noise AT ALL or the owner will storm up and shout at you. Also you have to clean the terrace yourself with no thank you or any appreciation from the owner. This is a lovely hostel but too strict for the chefchouen lifestyle.

Staff- I have never been treated so badly at a hotel before and never felt so unwelcome. The owner is an english woman and she is definitely in the wrong business, as hospitality is not her forté.

She is grumpy,strict,rude and unwelcoming. The owner paroles the hotel waiting for noises, then threatens you to be SILENT or you will be kicked out. After a few days she got used too our noise and decided to talk to us as if we were normal human beings not children at school.
Overall the hotel is nice but the manager taints the experience

After travelling Australia,hong kong,Dubai,and Thailand I have never been treated in this way before by a hotel or a hostel

• Stayed: August 2013
16  Thank Alex F

If you had played the part of the half decent guest, I would have played my part of the welcoming host. Instead you complimented me on how lovely and clean the Baraka is and then used it like your own personnel doss house. You had no appreciation for other guests or my neighbours . One day when you have something of your own you may be able to appreciate the way you treated me and my home.