“A really great place to stay”
Review of Dar Scotlandee

Dar Scotlandee
Ranked #22 of 63 Chefchaouen B&B and Inns
Southampton, United Kingdom
“A really great place to stay”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stayed at Rif For Anyone for 7 nights in August and chose this place based on the good reviews. Like other people have mentioned, Terry, Suzanne and Liam were fantastic and made us feel welcome right away. They were extremely helpful on various occasions such as when I left my bag in a taxi which was later returned to me. Our room was clean and comfortable with a fantastic shower and we liked the location of this place, as there was a great view off of the terrace and it was far more peaceful than being in the middle of town. The medina was an easy walk and it was cheap to get a taxi back up. We thought this place was great value for money too.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth A

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Glastonbury
Reviewed 15 August 2013

A really fantastic stay that is everything it says in the description and more.

<<Duration>> : We stayed 4 nights in June, our first time at Dar Scotlandee but we'll be back!

<<Location>> : Just on the edge of town, last time we stayed in a hotel in the medina just off the main square and were kept awake all night by cockerels of all things. No such issues at Dar Scotlandee, it's quiet, peaceful and chilled with splendid views of Chaouen and beyond.

Two options to walk to the medina, one on a level path above the town with panoramic views and one down through the streets with options depending on the part you want to go to. We walked nearly all the time it was so interesting to catch the small things going on you might miss in a vehicle, like the tailors in their small open fronted shops.

Taxi's are frequent and cheap. We came by taxi from out of town and our driver didn't know Chaouen so dropped us in the centre. Small blue taxis circle the small square by the Parador hotel every few minutes, we flagged one down, said Dar Scotlandee to the driver and he took us straight there.

<<Proprietors>> : Terry, Suzanne and their son Liam are very special hosts. They're welcoming and friendly and we were immediatey made to feel at home. They've lived in Morocco for some time and provide a priceless insight into the way life works. We felt immediatey at home.

Liam is the perfect guide, he's a local with the expected perfect english. His tour is essential, without him I can't imagine how you'd even know how to go about finding the most accomodating rooftop terraces, coolest bars and best places to eat. I felt we were out walking with a friend.

On the first night our hosts pointed us in the direction of an arabic music festival being held in the largest square. It was an event for local people and away from the medina. It felt like the whole town was there and was a real privilege to experience. We met some tourists the next day who were confused as to why everything in the medina was closed that previous evening and there was no-one about! We'd have missed it too I'm sure without the precious tip.

You may also meet one of their Moroccan friends, we met Najib a really welcoming guy who went to great lengths to help me learn the arabic names for traditional musical instruments I was interested in. I'll never forget "uTbl", which is the traditional drum.

<<Accomodation>> : A spacious room with two double beds (the one we used was nice and comfortable) and an ensuite with a cute little view of the back of Chaouen. The rooms are on the ground floor and surround a central cozy lounge area with large coffee table and some reading material. For safety the hosts don't permit smoking down here.

We spent nearly all our time upstairs where there's a beautiful lounge with spectacular views of Chaouen. The glass doors lead onto a lovely circular seating terrace and a few steps up you're onto the main terrace which is .... amazing. Sofas, views, binoculars, plants, hummingbird hawk moths, a really cute free range tortoise, timid desert fox (if you're lucky), a dog (I'm no dog lover but with all the space and the way Angus is it didn't even occur to me). Perfect place to chill in the shade or soak up the rays. Smoking is fine in the lounge and on the terraces.

<<Breakfast>> : I haven't tasted a better cheese omelette. So good we had one every morning! Served with orange juice, fresh bread, assorted jams olives and good strong coffee all served at an impressive wooden table off the kitchen adjacent to the upstairs lounge. If our hosts were about they were always up for a chat and never made me feel I was too intrusive (I like to talk).

<<Excursions>> : We decided on the Bridge of the Gods trip, headed by Liam and Najib. Short taxi through spectacular mountain scenery followed by a gorge walk, sometimes refreshingly through clear cool water, to the natural bridge at the end. Najib stopped half way to ready a delicious hot meal of what I'd describe as Moroccan chicken cacciatore, chips and salad, the prepartion of which defies belief and we ate al-fresco on the way back. The perfect leisurely day out with a slight edge of the wild.

<<Summary>> : We hope to be back in Chaouen next year and will definitely stay again. Dar Scotlandee's accomodation is as good if not better than more expensive places we have stayed in Morocco but its rare at any price to find hosts who add a magic which makes a place that little bit special.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Terry G, Owner at Dar Scotlandee, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thanks for taking the time to post a review.
Hope to meet again in the not too distant future.
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013

after just over a week of travelling from agadir up through the main large cities- this was exactly what we were hoping for - Chaouen is an amazing place, everything about the place is lovely- we wished we could've swapped some days in for extra up at this hotel to chill out a bit more - massive thanks to Terry, Suzanne and Liam who made Alice's and mine stay so great- we will most definitely be back :)
rooms are good,brekky is good, hostfamily/company were lovely- real highlight of our trip so thanks!
Alex & Alice

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 7 June 2013

We booked this guest house for 3 nights due to the generally great reviews. To be sure I am not complaining since it is certainly very reasonably priced. I do want to point out a few things about the inn for those travelers that are not of the backpacker persuasion. First, the place is known locally as Dar Scotlandi, not Rif-for-Anyone. The driver of our grand taxi from the Moroccan border had to ask the locals for help, and not every local taxi knows even Scottlandi. It is located about a 15 to 20 minutes walk away from the medina. The walk is quite manageable (but do involve some unpaved hilly spots). However, not only there is no paved road to the house, you have to go up a slight (and a bit rough) hill to get to the entrance. It's difficult with the luggage and particularly tricky when it is wet as was the case when we were there. The place is managed by a Scottish coupe and their adult son. They are nice folks. Their managerial style is a bit on the hap hazard side - they don't have a printer and can't provide a map of the medina - only a pdf map by email. The directions we got were extremely vague. I can't detect much interest from them for the local people. When we came back from town and talked about the things we saw, we get little response. We were delighted to find that Mondays are market days at Chefchaouen, but were surprised that none at the guest house mentioned it, since most of the shops in the medina are closed on Mondays. Be aware also, if you visit in winter or earlier spring, that the rooms are not heated.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank HobbitBrandybuck
Terry G, Owner at Dar Scotlandee, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
Thanks for your review. But I must respond to clear a few points up...
Please read our hostel description before booking! You will see that we are situated up on the "side of the mountain, a 15 min walk to the medina. So why you need to put it in your review, and critisise us for it, I don't know!
Since your companion had been to Chaouen before, she seemed to be informing you of what chaouen had to offer, you never asked us. We are only too happy to advise people on local activities.
Do not book budget accommodation and expect 5 star treatment. Yes we are cheap, especially when you consider the high speed internet access, 24 hour hot water, free towels and toilet paper, and enough blankets to keep warm in the middle of winter, never mind a chilly spring night. I think we are extremely good value for money. Buy a map yourself, if you can find one. They are not easily available here.
It is very easy to get to the medina, and simple directions, I find, are best.
I agree, the path up from the road could be better, but this is a short cut. The proper road around to the hostel is easier, but most people can manage the little slope easily enough.
If you look at our name on trip adviser, you will see we are called Rif-for anyone/Dar Scotlandee. Whats the problem?
Oh, 1 last thing. The taxi's all know us. But they sometimes pretend not to with new arrivals to Chaouen, hoping that you will just tell them to take you somewhere else, so that they can gain commission. A common trick all over Morocco. I bet you never had any problems after this with them.
Hope this clears things up.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Just returned from a 10 day motorcycling trip of Morocco, and can't speak highly enough of this B&B. Originally booked for two nights, but ended up staying a third, it was just that sort of place. Terry, Suzanne & Liam, are so welcoming, I defy anyone not to feel at home there, you feel more like an invited friend than a paying guest. It might not suit everyone with a boisterous dog and a desert fox on the premises, but I am certainly looking forward to visiting again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Detroit
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Looking for a hike in the mountains of Morocco I found the "Scotlandia" to be the perfect place... I spent 6 nights and met about 20 younger travelers that provided hours of entertainment while we waited for the rain to stop. Just out behind "Scotland" is a great hike if you are serious... a vertical climb of 3800' and about 12 miles round trip to a summit with snow and a view of Spain and the Med. Terry the owner did the hike with us and was a great person to have along. We also visited God's Bridge at Achour and enjoyed is almost as much as the longer and harder hike the next day. There is a common room where the company is good, the breakfast is always ready in the morning and the WiFi works great. As a non-Arabic speaker and a person who likes to hike the hospitality of Terry ans Souzanna .... along with son Liam... made the six day stay comfortable and enjoyable. Lots to do in Chef too....

Room Tip: Don't let the distance from town scare you off... the walk is the fitness center and taxis are c...