“xbest in Morocco” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Merzouga
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“xbest in Morocco”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

We came upon this by chance, and what a gem. Hassan and his brothers run a very friendly and clean establishment. The food is excellent and has been some of the best in Morocco. A definite must is a trip into the Desert, do it overnight and and enjoy a perfect night sky. Ask Mohammed if the elephant is still in the fridge!
Thanks once again for a fabulous stay. Helen, Cornwall, Uk.

Room Tip: We were camping in motorhomes
2 Thank tony w

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Truro, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

We'd been given a card for Les Roches by a Dutch couple in Boulmaine; we were heading over that way in our old camper van, and the single site listed in the Camping Morocco book looked a bit down at heel.

This is the only place you need to check out. Seriously, whatever it is that you're looking for, this is what you actually need. The road in is a little unprepossessing, but that's Morocco. The place itself is clean, beautiful and well presented; unlike the majority of motorhome stops, the owner actually takes great pride in his establishment and is constantly updating and maintaining.

We stayed in the front courtyard in the van (there's also an area outside the courtyard, round the back, which was popular with French motorhomers), with two kids in tow. It was entirely secure, peaceful and decidedly pleasant. The dunes start at the back of the auberge. As in, right outside the building. We didn't use the chambres, but had a good look round (see below) and they looked knockout - spotless, roomy, cool and well decorated. We did, though, eat several times in-house (something we rarely do, having the van) and it was excellent - the food we had was the best we've had in Morocco.

My wife and kids did the overnight trip into the desert (I did the elephant trekking on our last trip, so it was my wife's turn to ride a ridiculously uncomfortable mammal) and they had a great time - very safe, secure, friendly and welcoming to the kids and knockout food. Price was 40 euros each; we gather you can haggle it down with the touts in town, but for a much lesser experience - and you've come thousands of miles to see this, so exactly what are you going to buy with that five euros you saved? A hotdog at the airport?

The best context I can put it into is to detail the things which the owner INSISTED on, and wouldn't take no for an answer: We had to have several free cups of Whisky Marocain (mint tea), often just sent over when the kettle was on; we were only allowed to pay half-price for the kids' meals, even though they had at least as much to eat as we did (I think the boy actually had the most chips); we weren't allowed to pay extra for the kids' stay on top of the usual price; when my family returned from their trip, I was given breakfast alongside them, but wasn't allowed to pay for it, despite trying quite hard to; if the hot water ran out, we were asked to avail ourselves of the facilities in the chambres (hence the good look round) but no, we weren't allowed to pay for hot showers; when the price for the camel treks was converted into dirhams, they used an exchange rate which dropped the cost by 10% (we INSISTED on paying in full in euros, as by this time we would have been ashamed to take advantage). And probably more besides.

Now, compare that to your other experiences.

I don't tend to write gushing reviews, and if somewhere is sub-standard, I'll say so. But when it's this good, I'll fall over myself to say so. The management want you to have a great stay, and they work hard to make it happen. Yes, they need to make a living - and judging by the fact that all the motor homes in town were in their place, they're deservedly making a good one - but they don't put that ahead of giving you a great experience.

You really should stay here. I may have given that impression already.

Room Tip: Stay at Auberge Les Roches. It's the only tip you need.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank paul j
Rabat, El Kelaa des Srarhna, Morocco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Seriously, an amazing place to stay. If you're going to the Sahara via Merzouga, staying anywhere but here is an unforgivable mistake. The staff is incredibly friendly and welcoming, they really bent over backwards to make be as accommodating as possible for my friends and I, and we're just stupid college students. They fed us very well, set up an additional tour for us the day we got back from the Sahara, and on top of all that, it was unbelievably cheap. The hotel itselfis cleaner and more comfortable than you have any right to expect, and easily accessible (by Moroccan standards) by bus.

2 Thank Gus T
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

I arrived at Auberge Les Roches purely by accident. The two hotel options in Merzouga I had were unreliable and potentially very unsafe so I decided to go to Auberge Les Roches on the recommendation of fellow travellers I met on the bus from Marrakech to Merzouga. It was a very wise choice. Two hotel employees came to meet us at the Supratours bus stop at Merzouga. This is helpful because there were many fake guides waiting to grab tourists and spirit us away before we knew it.
On arriving at Auberge Les Roches, we were served with an ample, tasty dinner of beef and vegetable tagine per our preferences. The next morning, we chose the day-long desert trip on camels (occasionally we walked as well as the sand was not too hot), visited a Berber village and an oasis, and ate a tasty lunch and later watched the sunset in the evening. Our desert guide was Mohammed - ask for him if you can. I'm sure the other guides are good too, and we were very happy with him. After a filling dinner, we slept at the camp site that night - on very comfortable mattresses. The next morning, after watching the sunrise from the desert, we headed back to the hotel on our camels. Though the day long desert trip costs slightly more, you truly get a feel for the desert that you otherwise wouldn't get if you take the shorter overnight trip that begins at 4 pm.
Breakfast at the hotel was again quite ample.
The owner, Hassan, his nephew Mohamed and the rest of the staff were very helpful in many ways, from providing me with accommodation at the last minute, to allowing me to pay in dollars and very importantly, helping us with hotel reservations when we spontaneously decided to visit Azrou. Very importantly, Hasan personally arranged for our tickets on a local bus going towards Fes when both CTM and Supratours were sold out.
Regarding facilities, food is more than ample, rooms and are spacious, clean and comfortable, the beds are comfortable and hot water works. Bathrooms are both Moroccan and European and are clean. The wi-fi signal is the only weak spot, but if I was visiting Merzouga again, I would choose Auberge Les Roches and nothing else.
Merci beaucoup, Hassan, Mohammed et tous. Shokran.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chilly_Biscuits
Rabat, El Kelaa des Srarhna, Morocco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Auberge Les Roches is the best experience you could possibly want for your trip to the Sahara. The prices are unbeatable (and as a student this trip was incredibly affordable - over all I spent about $100 on the whole trip, and less than half of that was for the hostel/camel trek), the staff is incredibly hospitable and friendly, the rooms are cozy and clean, and the food was delicious. My friends and I had the experience of a lifetime and so much of that can be attributed to this hostel. We're planning on coming back in a few years to commemorate our awesome trip!

2 Thank edieth3owl
Rabat, Morocco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

As a student studying abroad in Morocco, this was an incredibly affordable and enjoyable way to see more of the country. The staff was friendly and personable, content to speak with me in any language I desired (English, French, Arabic). The food was great and prices unbeatable. The hostel has a fantastic view of the desert, and the camel caravan comes right to the door. I was able to spend the night gazing at the stars in the Sahara and come back to the hostel for a much needed nap afterward. This experience has been nothing but positive.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Studentabroad878
Rome, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

We had an incredible time. We were welcomed, treated like family, & enjoyed a BEAUTIFUL camel trek through the Sahara. The guys cooked for us, played us music over dinner and quickly became friends. We really enjoyed our trip and would go back in a heart beat. I HIGHLY recommend this Auberge! It's a trip of a lifetime!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family