“Calm lovely place”
Review of Dar el Khamlia

Dar el Khamlia
Ranked #44 of 83 Merzouga B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We were there for 2 nights and had a really good time. The sleepingroom is clean and there are a really big bathroom and a wonderful livingroom. The family is really nice and helpful. They will cook great meals for you and you can easily chat with them (english or french).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 October 2013

If you want a really local and desert experience, this place is it...Brahim, our host saw to our every need and cooked us the most delicious and fascinating Moroccan meals--some of the best we had during our three week stay in Morocco! We showed up a little unexpectedly, but he managed to make room for us and cooked us a wonderful first night's meal...The rooms are very clean and pleasant, and the bathrooms are modern... This Dar is in the middle of this 300 population Berber village, and there are very few tourists in the area, so you do not feel overrun that way... Brahim also easily made camel trekking arrangements for us that were amazing.. the camel wrangler and his two camels showed up at the house around supper time the next day and we took off for our night in the desert... An incredible meal for the two of us was cooked for us once we got there--by our very versatile and talented camel guide, Achmed... and then we were surprised when he showed us to our tent--a double bed mattress on the ground, with sheets, pillows and blankets and a lighted candle burning by each side of the bed...absolutely took our breath away. as did the desert in did in its own right.
If you're looking for a unique, individualized and special desert experience, this is the only place to go. It's everything I could have hoped for in getting to know the desert and a local family...

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We have visited Khamila during our trip in Morroco. We spent nice time there and Brahim and his family were very friendly. We travelled to the desert and slept there for one night. We had delicous dinner and nice time with Brahim family. I recommend to visit this place,we really enjoyed it.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Very nice place, fantastic accomodation, food and atmosphere. Very clean place. Beautiful area. We came very late, without any reservation, nobody expected us, but it was not a problem. Brahim, the owner of Dar el Khamlia, prepared wonderful dinner for us and lovely room. In the morning he made a breakfast for us for the time we have had chosen..

Reviewed 17 June 2013

I hate to say it, but it needs to be said, definitely on a site like tripadvisor; we got sick from the food served here. We had a dinner that tasted great but probably the chicken in it was contaminated. Both me and my girlfriend got sick shortly after. We are quite sure that it was that meal and not anything else we ate that day (because we had only bread for lunch and felt perfect before the dinner). I'm not saying anybody is to blame for this, because food poisoning can also happen if you are carefull when preparing food, in that case it is just bad luck. Just take this into account (along with all the positive reviews) when you decided to, or not to, stay at Dar el Khamlia.

Enough about that. Brahim is a nice guy. The room was clean, not very large and the beds aren't good, but sufficient. Bathroom is next door and I think you only share it with the other guests, not with Brahim and his family, but I'm not sure about that.

Although we got sick on the first night, we still went on the camel trip on the second night. Because we were still recovering from our sickness the camel ride was not so comfortable, but it surely is an unforgettable experience. Achmed was our guide in the desert. He spoke little English. I had hoped for a little more in the guide. Now he was just a guy that lead the way and prepared (way to much, for our recovering stomaches) dinner. It would have been nice if he could have told us a little more about the place and had also been able to indicate more clearly what he expected us to do. (Now we didn't know how much time we had to look around before dinner was served, because we didn't know at what time dinner was, we had to guess at what time the sun rose, which made us get up 1,5 hour early, that kind of things).

Also, except for the camel ride there is not much to do in Khamlia. I would recommend one night at Brahim and one night in the desert. We had another night, which was just boring.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Khamlia, Friend at Dar el Khamlia, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

For Brahims behalf I want to express regret over discomfort Guus and his wife received. At the same time, however, I think maybe it's just coincidence that they became ill, hard to say. Everyone's stomachs react differently and many travelers get stomach problems while traveling. It has been discussed often in the forums too. As I know Brahim so I know how careful he is with food storage and cooking. One can not say with certainty that it was just the food they got sick.
Reagrding the bathroom, yes, it is shared bathroom for the clients, but Brahim and his family not use it. Maybe only when no clients are there but not otherwise, as far as I know.
Ahmed is only a camel man, not a guide and I am sure that if the client wish to have a guide speaking English, Brahim would arrange that without some extra costs.
It is of course possible to agree with Ahmed which time it will be dinner and even if he will wake the clients at morning for to watch sunrise, which he normally does anyway.
So I believe it was a little lack of communication, maybe fear that he would not understand or? But a little English all camel men speak anyway.
I feel Brahim for many years now and know how he is, so I write this and for Brahim's behalf, I apologize for this inconvenience.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

We came very late, without any reservation, nobody expected us, but it was not a problem. Brahim, the owner of Dar el Khamlia, prepared wonderful dinner for us and lovely room. In the morning he made a breakfast for us for the time we have had chosen - like in 5 stars hotels ;)

If you want to see real Morocco and Berber life it's great place to stay for reasonable price! :) Of course, it is not a Ritz or Hilton, so if you expect luxury rooms or swimming pool, stay in Agadir :P

Reviewed 14 May 2013

I cannot recall the name of a poem I read some time back regarding the spiritual soul of the desert. The words were touching and brought me to the brink of emotional, mental, and spiritual understanding of the unity the writer experienced with his desert voyage. The words conveyed a journey shared by ancients’ desperately craving the knowledge of their natures and a search for God. The man in the desert connected into a circle of beauty seen through the eyes of previous seekers allowing his heart to see what his mind could not. Offering his human vulnerability in the glowing dusk he touched the genuine nature of the living soul of the world and knew God. Though a serendipitous discovery of humble and decent people that go by the names of Brahim, Michaela and our guide Ahmad, my wife and I shared the divinity of the greatest human emotions in that desert. Words cannot express the joy of living any traveler will find if they come across the path of these good people.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple