“Excellent all around!”
Review of Riad Mamouche

Riad Mamouche
Ranked #10 of 82 Merzouga B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We arrived via bus late at night and were promptly picked up by two very friendly staff members.

In fact, everyone working at this riad is wonderfully friendly and accommodating. If we needed a ride somewhere, it was offered free of charge and without hesitation. We never felt pressured into booking a particular tour package and, on the day we did nothing but sit by the pool and chill all day, we were left alone to do our thing.

We loved the rooms here - comfy beds, clean, hot water with great water pressure.

The restaurant here had great food and the complimentary feast at breakfast was enough to fill even the hungriest of bellies.

We also booked a camel safari through Mamouche and our camels were waiting right outside the hotel doors! The safari was great - an hour and a half ride through beautiful dunes to a camp with warm tents. We were served a traditional Moroccan dinner (which even included oranges for dessert!) and our guides played Berber music for us to round out the evening. The guides were very professional and friendly and impressively smart - as each spoke at around 5 languages! (Arabic, Berber, French, English, Spanish...some Italian...who knows what else!) It should be noted though that even though it was just two of us who booked a safari, we were sent out with a group of around 20! We enjoyed the group atmosphere but if you're looking for something more private, that'll probably have to be arranged specially.

Our bags were held while we were out on safari and we were given a room to shower in once we got back. (There is also a common room off the pool area where you can store your bags before the safari and get ready in...it was nice to have, albeit in need of a good cleaning).

Finally, for people like us who love the internet, the wifi signal was strong throughout and the internet worked the entire time we were there at a decent speed considering you're in the middle of the desert!

We definately enjoyed our stay here. Thanks Mamouche!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wanderlustful18
There are newer reviews for Riad Mamouche

Reviewed 19 March 2014

The Riad is located on the edge of the Sahara. The property itself is pleasant. Our room was pretty comfortable with dim lights that created a romantic atmosphere. There were extra blankets in the room for us to stay warm on that chilly March night. The only thing that upset us was a live roach in the bathroom. I didn’t want to take shower after that and waited till we reached the other city next day to do so in a different Riad. Although I can understand how hard it can be to keep rooms without any insects in the desert.

We had our dinner and breakfast served in an adjacent house with a cozy fireplace which made the experience pleasant. The staff was obliging and helpful. We found out that place is very popular among Japanese tourists and the owner even speaks Japanese among other languages.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yhalinka
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

After driving all day from Fes we didn't know what to expect, but we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived. Large clean rooms with an enormous bed. The roof terrace overlooking the dunes is amazing. We booked a night in the desert too which was also brilliant.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoeyjoejoeshabadooJr
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We visited this Riad in winter but it would be even better in spring or autumn when you can sit outside and use the pool.

The Riad is in Merzouga village which is a quaint village on the edge of the Sahara Desert, it has a very good souvenir shop and some great picture opportunities including the big Erg Chebi sand dune which can also be seen from the Riad terrace.

The room was large and well heated, the bed was rock hard but surprisingly it gave us the best sleep so far on our holiday!!

Dinner was served in front of a log fire with good ambiance but the meal was very ordinary. We were allowed to bring wine which was a bonus. Breakfast was fantastic served in the same room.

To be adjacent to the sand dune and on the edge of the village it was a great place to stay.

Room Tip: No rooms have a view and all seem the same size
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JA_travel_food
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I loved our stay at this riad. IT has a wonderful terrace with great views of the dunes where the staff is more than happy to serve you breakfast and tea. The rooms are very comfortable with heating and hot showers. But for me, the most unforgettable thing about this riad are the lovely people. The staff here is so friendly and kind. We were treated to an impromptu music experience with everyone from the manager to the guy who served us dinner getting together and playing the drums and berber music. IT made for an absolutely unforgettable experience and this is exactly the place where I will go back to stay on future visits. I was sorry that I was not staying longer at this lovely riad.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

I took a two week holiday in Morocco and stayed in many places while travelling and have to say that Riad Mamouche was the best place I stayed at for my whole trip. I was on the phone with the Riad a few days beforehand to make special arrangements prior to my arrival. The staff were amazing and made my stay worth remembering. The food was also brilliant. I have to say that the price I paid for two nights and an additional meal with drinks (Approx Dh700) throughout the stay was a bargain for the sort of hospitality I received. Thank you for a great stay and I'm sure I will be back soon!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Keith L
Reviewed 13 November 2013

What a fantastic stay!! during our three day in Merzouga Erg Chebbi. Wonderful Hotel and Clean, amazing food, and the excellent king size beds. The manager is an extremely cordial "Hassan", and gave us a good idea about the region. When we went for and excursion to discover the Berber hospitality,
One memorable night, it was the right place to forget about the tiredness and the stress In calm Sahara desert, after shower in a very clean and tidy bathroom with a high quality showering amenities, went for a deep sleep as am home in a very comfortable king size bed...after refreshment I had a Berber Delicious dinner with an outstanding service. I was treated well like anything, woke up next day on time thanks for preparing my fabulous breakfast which is a new discovering cuisine for me.
Overall, it is a nice place; Wish to go back there again.

I recommended highly Riad Mamouche to anyone who want to experience the wonder desert.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business