“Excellent location for a trip to the Merzouga dunes + great food”
Review of Chez Youssef

Chez Youssef
Ranked #7 of 83 Merzouga B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Spent a total of 3 nights Chez Youssef, of which one in a nomad tent in the dunes (a fabulous and highly recommended trip arranged by Hamid). The breakfast is to die for, as is the dinner prepared by Hamid's family. The ecologically heated water provides for a great shower.

Note that the rooms are basic but nicely decorated. An intermediate cleaning would have been appreciated.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed here 1 night before our camel trek into the dunes. The room was warm and comfortable and the shower was hot. I had read other reviews suggesting not to miss the food here so of course we decided to have dinner at the inn. The dinner was absolutely delicious, the best of our trip! I was ill in bed so unfortunately I missed out but Hamid set my girlfriend a beautiful table right outside our room so she could be close by. The breakfast was equally good and the inn is lovely. We would definitely stay here again! Thank you Hamid!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Staff - Hamid was a great host. He made sure we could get every comfort we needed in the desert.
Facility - it was clean and cozy. Hot water, Wifi, heater, Considering the place was located in the desert, I called it 'Oasis'
Breakfast - wonderful. Served warm every morning. This is only place I tasted 'Date extract' which tasted like chocolate..
Restaurant -We ate their restaurant during our entire stay and that was one of the best food we had.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Period of Stay: 8th Dec - 10th Dec 2013 (2 nights, including 1 in the desert)
Cost (for the night at Chez Youssef itself): 25 Euros (275 Dirhams)(including taxes, via Booking.com) for a single room (Room A)

+ points:
(1) Location - less than 5 minutes walk from the Supratours drop off point. NOTE: The town is extremely dark (I came from Ouarzazate and reached at 9pm) and it can be very disturbing to walk even though Chez Youssef is just a short distance away (and Google Maps is fairly accurate though I didn't see the other key points along the way but main roads and distance wise was ok). However, Hamid (Youssef's assistant) should be waiting at the drop off point to pick you up (I was a bit concerned at first as I had emailed them about meeting me at the drop off point but did not get a reply).

(2) Comfortable bed, pillows and toilet was clean.

(3) The wifi was fast and reliable.

(4) Breakfast was good and the most filling out of all the accommodation I stayed in during my 16 day trip in Morocco - has your typical Moroccan stuff like bread, jam, cheese, and also fruits, yogurt. In general the food was quite tasty - I had a Berber omelet (30 Dirhams) and a chicken tajine (45 Dirhams) - and was also cheaper that what I saw in the town of Merzouga.

(5) To clarify what was mentioned in SamBell83's review on 16 Sep 2013 (very detailed and helpful to me) regarding the desert trip they provide, it is 450 Dirhams for 1 night. Basically you leave at 3pm for the desert, reach in about 80 minutes, and then you can go climb up the huge dune (extremely tiring though it didn't look like it at first!) for the view of the sunset which is very nice. After that you can relax till dinner and after dinner you can gaze at the beautiful stars before you sleep. Next morning at about 7am, you can watch the sunrise and then head back to Chez Youssef at about 8am to have breakfast. It was a comfortable ride on the camel, not pain at all, even for a guy so nothing to worry about! I was given the room till about 645pm before Hamid drove me to the Supratours office (he will help you to purchase the ticket while you are away) to catch the night bus to Fes.

- points: There is nothing really bad but I had some reservations...
(1) I was monitoring Booking.com for the last few days and I saw that suddenly there was only 1 room left so I quickly booked the last room. So I was very surprised to find that I was the only person staying at the place. While that means it is very quiet, but it could be disturbing for other solo travelers I suppose. This is especially so when you go for the desert trip because if it had not been for an Aussie couple who happened to go that night, me and my guide would be the only person around in the camp.

(2) I thought the price of the desert trip could be more competitive as I saw other companies offered 35 Euros (about 385 Dirhams) for a similar programme but I wasn't going to quibble over this for the rare experience of going into the desert! Although Hamid did say that it also covers the use of the room before and after the trip, I think there are others that do too so you may wish to do some homework but if not, I think the overall package is quite decent and Hamid will try his best to help!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank MrLukeLau
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I stayed at Chez Youssef in April 2013 and it was the highlight of my Morocco trip. Even before we arrived in Morocco, Youssef gave me a contact for a taxi to bring us around for 2 days before we reached Merzouga. He has good contacts who offer reasonable prices so that was a plus point from the start. When my friend and I arrived at the riad, he upgraded our room without charging an extra cent. Before the trip I also told him that I was spending my birthday in Morocco... and Behold! When I arrived at this riad, he prepared a lovely dinner and a birthday cake for me! Can't beat a chocolate cake baked in a Sahara town donning your name on it.The dinner and special dessert were delicious and so were the breakfasts. Rooms are clean, cozy and brimming with character. His blue decor is definitely a stand out and his generosity and hospitality towards his guests definitely made my stay in Merzouga a truly memorable one. He also organised our 1 night desert trek and the guide was lovely too.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Hamid attended to us during our stay and was extremley helpful from the start. He collected us from the bus stop at 9pm and helped carry our bags to the Riad so we could avoid the touts and locals trying to get us to stay with them. This would be especially comforting if travelling alone as Hamid was more than happy to help us with anything during our stay, even if it meant walking down the street with you. Even at this hour, we were presented with food on arrival and of course with tea to wash it all down. We had nothing arranged for our stay and had just booked the one night accommodation and the next morning Hamid was able to arrange a 2 night desert stay for us at 450 dirhams pppn.
Our trip was not starting until 6pm that night but we had use of the room all day and also on our return from the desert at 11 am in the morning, we used the room until we left at 7pm that day. We were not charged for this it was all part of the "package".
You can have breakfast served when you like, which was delicious with pastries, fruit and yoghurt (more variety than some breakfasts at other Riads in Morocco) and you can come and go as you like with a key to the front door and your room.
The riad has a lot of space with a few sitting rooms and middle courtyard, or alternatively you can refuge in your room with the super cool air conditioning. The room was clean and large size, towels provided and Hamid also offered to wash our clothes after our desert trip- also for free. The riad is made of clay like all the other places in Merzouga, making it very authentic and also cool. The accommodation is no frills but I think this adds to the "desert experience" and it has all that we needed. There was a fridge there also and it was ok to place your own water etc i there to keep it cool.
Hamid organised our bus tickets to Fes while we were away in the desert and helped us to get some take away food to take on our overnight journey. A real friendly person and an asset to Chez Youssef. I would recommend this place, especially if you have not booked a desert trip or are travelling solo as they are very helpful and not at all pressuring or intimidating.

Room Tip: They are all similar, all large size with own ensuite and all based on the bottom floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SamBell83
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We stayed at Youssef's Riad as part of our Morocco tour with Moha (caminobereber). And we absolutely loved the place. Why? many things: it's a small but beautifully decorated riad, right in the heart of Merzouga village. In the rooms you really feel you are in the desert.

Youssef made our stay superb: his dedication to the guests is incredible. From the exquisite homemade breakfast in the small cozy patio, to the home-cooked dinners. He is very friendly and our 7yo son really adored him.

A 5 min walk from the riad brings you right into the desert with it's magnificent views and sand dunes. Our camel trek started just 2 streets away from the Riad, and Youssef himself walked us there to make sure we didn't get lost.

I am quite critical but Youssef's place really amazed me!

Room Tip: it's a small riad, but don't worry, all rooms are equally nice
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family