“Best stay in Morocco”
Review of Chez Youssef

Chez Youssef
Ranked #6 of 83 Merzouga B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We arrived very early in the morning, but still our host Hamid was very kind and welcoming. The rooms are simple, but compared to Moroccan standards very clean and nicely arranged! We felt extremely comfortable staying at Chez Youssef. We also booked an overnight trip to the desert dunes with the help of our host (we can strongly recommend this; please note: you don't have to book the night at the hostel when you sleep outdoors). The dunes, which are of course the highlight of Merzouga, are located just 5 min footwalk from the place.
Definitely try the wonderful dinner Hamid's wife cooks! They also have a washing machine, which they were so kind as to let us use.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Chez Youssef, in Merzouga, is not hard to find: drive south until you run out of pavement, then follow the signs through the narrow streets between the mud-colored houses to the edge of town. The drab exterior belies the warmth within. Furnishings are simple but comfortable.

The owner speaks French and good English, and works hard to keep his guests happy. We had dinner and breakfast at Chez Youssef, and found both excellent. We even got breakfast a little earlier than usual, as we were facing a long drive.

Our arrival late in the afternoon limited our time in Merzouga. Camel riding held no interest for us, nor camping in the desert. But a 15-minute walk from the guest house put us over the top of a dune, and out of sight of civilization. A brief, but undemanding desert experience! We even got to see camels crossing the desert. (Well, perhaps not exactly crossing; just a tourist group being led by a blue-robed local. But we got the idea.)

If we'd had more time we certainly would have looked forward to another night or two at Chez Youssef.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

This is a comfortable desert home, very different from the riads of fes and Marrakech

Hamid and his family are very welcoming

The room is clean and even comes with a big thick blanket that we didn't need

Dinner was very good as well as breakfast and Hamid was willing to cook for us early as we had to leave before the usual time

The dunes call to the exotic and we walked among them and the camels

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Spent a total of 3 nights Chez Youssef, of which one in a nomad tent in the dunes (a fabulous and highly recommended trip arranged by Hamid). The breakfast is to die for, as is the dinner prepared by Hamid's family. The ecologically heated water provides for a great shower.

Note that the rooms are basic but nicely decorated. An intermediate cleaning would have been appreciated.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed here 1 night before our camel trek into the dunes. The room was warm and comfortable and the shower was hot. I had read other reviews suggesting not to miss the food here so of course we decided to have dinner at the inn. The dinner was absolutely delicious, the best of our trip! I was ill in bed so unfortunately I missed out but Hamid set my girlfriend a beautiful table right outside our room so she could be close by. The breakfast was equally good and the inn is lovely. We would definitely stay here again! Thank you Hamid!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Staff - Hamid was a great host. He made sure we could get every comfort we needed in the desert.
Facility - it was clean and cozy. Hot water, Wifi, heater, Considering the place was located in the desert, I called it 'Oasis'
Breakfast - wonderful. Served warm every morning. This is only place I tasted 'Date extract' which tasted like chocolate..
Restaurant -We ate their restaurant during our entire stay and that was one of the best food we had.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Period of Stay: 8th Dec - 10th Dec 2013 (2 nights, including 1 in the desert)
Cost (for the night at Chez Youssef itself): 25 Euros (275 Dirhams)(including taxes, via Booking.com) for a single room (Room A)

+ points:
(1) Location - less than 5 minutes walk from the Supratours drop off point. NOTE: The town is extremely dark (I came from Ouarzazate and reached at 9pm) and it can be very disturbing to walk even though Chez Youssef is just a short distance away (and Google Maps is fairly accurate though I didn't see the other key points along the way but main roads and distance wise was ok). However, Hamid (Youssef's assistant) should be waiting at the drop off point to pick you up (I was a bit concerned at first as I had emailed them about meeting me at the drop off point but did not get a reply).

(2) Comfortable bed, pillows and toilet was clean.

(3) The wifi was fast and reliable.

(4) Breakfast was good and the most filling out of all the accommodation I stayed in during my 16 day trip in Morocco - has your typical Moroccan stuff like bread, jam, cheese, and also fruits, yogurt. In general the food was quite tasty - I had a Berber omelet (30 Dirhams) and a chicken tajine (45 Dirhams) - and was also cheaper that what I saw in the town of Merzouga.

(5) To clarify what was mentioned in SamBell83's review on 16 Sep 2013 (very detailed and helpful to me) regarding the desert trip they provide, it is 450 Dirhams for 1 night. Basically you leave at 3pm for the desert, reach in about 80 minutes, and then you can go climb up the huge dune (extremely tiring though it didn't look like it at first!) for the view of the sunset which is very nice. After that you can relax till dinner and after dinner you can gaze at the beautiful stars before you sleep. Next morning at about 7am, you can watch the sunrise and then head back to Chez Youssef at about 8am to have breakfast. It was a comfortable ride on the camel, not pain at all, even for a guy so nothing to worry about! I was given the room till about 645pm before Hamid drove me to the Supratours office (he will help you to purchase the ticket while you are away) to catch the night bus to Fes.

- points: There is nothing really bad but I had some reservations...
(1) I was monitoring Booking.com for the last few days and I saw that suddenly there was only 1 room left so I quickly booked the last room. So I was very surprised to find that I was the only person staying at the place. While that means it is very quiet, but it could be disturbing for other solo travelers I suppose. This is especially so when you go for the desert trip because if it had not been for an Aussie couple who happened to go that night, me and my guide would be the only person around in the camp.

(2) I thought the price of the desert trip could be more competitive as I saw other companies offered 35 Euros (about 385 Dirhams) for a similar programme but I wasn't going to quibble over this for the rare experience of going into the desert! Although Hamid did say that it also covers the use of the room before and after the trip, I think there are others that do too so you may wish to do some homework but if not, I think the overall package is quite decent and Hamid will try his best to help!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo