“Jun also cool for visiting merzouga desert”
Review of Hotel Riad Ali

Hotel Riad Ali
Ranked #20 of 82 Merzouga B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Jun also cool for visiting merzouga desert”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

we spent here 1 night and we found what we were looking for. Riad with swimming pool just near from desert is perfect place for relax, for work or adventure !
Staff was friendly ,room was perfectly A/C .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My friends and I (three girlfriends) had an amazing tour. We were picked up in Marrakech in a 4x4 and then drove to Merzouga. We stopped at many sights along the way - N'kob, Ouarzazate, Ait-ben-haddou, Dades Gorges, and drove through the Atlas Mountains. When we arrived at Riad Ali, it was like something out of a dream - serenity and peacefulness in the middle of the desert. The highlight of the trip was the camel trek through the dunes to the bivouac, where we stayed for one night and then woke up at 6am to see the sunrise.

Staying at the riad was really comfortable, the riad is beautiful and all of the rooms are spacious. There's a lot of traditional Berber textiles and the sink even has fossils in it! The food was delicious - definitely some of my favorite meals in Morocco. The owners Ali & Mounia are welcoming and knowledgeable hosts. My stomach didn't feel well and they brought me a doctor, some medicine, and checked up on me. Thankfully, I recovered in time to ride the camels.

Having lived in a big city for ten years, I wish I could escape to the desert every weekend. Or at least, once a year. My only regret is that we did not stay longer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I had such a wonderful visit here that my planned 2 day visit turned into 5 days. Ali his wife Mounia are welcoming and lovely, and their staff is very attentive and accommodating -- I arrived at 0530 on the overnight bus, and they were there to pick me up, watch the sunrise from the rooftop terrace with tea, then have a shower until my room was ready, and they served meals (all delicious) at irregular times when requested. There are rooms that open onto the pool and a few with entrances off the main lobby lounge area, but same amenities, with large bathrooms, great shower and air conditioning. I did the one-night dromedary trip to the desert organized through the riad with awesome guides, and while I don't need to ever get on a camel again, it was a remarkable one-time experience. I truly fell in love with the Sahara and wandered into the dunes (literally right out the back door) for nearly every sunrise and sunset while I was there. The pool is wonderfully refreshing, with plenty of places to lounge in the shade when the sun is roasting hot. I'd highly recommend Riad Ali - a refreshing taste of Moroccan hospitality if the hustle and harassment of big city medinas leaves you in need of a rest. The only negative I have is the wi-fi quality - it works fine at odd hours when you're the only one online, but at peak times when too many guests are trying to use it, it's useless. It also only works in the lobby and poolside....very weak, unusable signal 90% of the time in my room. But it might be a function of being in the middle of nowhere, and with the pool and desert at your fingertips, lack of wi-fi wasn't a huge concern for me.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep in late (past 0800-0830), pick a poolside room as breakfast buffet is served in...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank indy3172
Knutsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

One of the best trips of my life. I've been to many different countries but not many like Morocco. Its culture is very different to any I have experienced before. Its architecture is unusual and mystic and its people are kind and endearing. If you have traveled to somewhere similar such as Thailand etc. you will know a similar situation but if you haven't, there will be a lot of people approaching you to look at their stall when you travel out of the Riad. They may seem intimidating but will never be aggressive or threatening in any way. We never had anything stolen from us and never felt like we needed to worry. I lost many things along the way and was always returned to me! The people are very honest and friendly and passionate about making you feel at home. The views we saw were amazing, with a wide range of Architecture, History, Deserts, Mountains and Oasis'. It was one of the most dramatic ranges of landscape I have seen. The pool area was amazing and the rooms fit the mood of the area very well. The food was very good with breakfast consisting of pastrys and bread mostly and evening meals consisting mostly of Tagines and some of the nicest salads I have had! Which you will have to get used to if you travel to Morocco! But everywhere caters to the western world (which I find unfortunate but good to some!).
Overall a great place and such an interesting country, If you're looking for a relaxing adventure a bit different to your usual spot, come here!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We found the Riad Ali a great base to experience the Sahara Desert. The food was great and all the staff assisted in making our trip so enjoyable. We did have an issue with our room at first but as soon as we mentioned this to the staff it was fixed. We we amazed at the quick response based in the desert. I would recomend this riad to all my friends

Room Tip: Ask for one of the new rooms at the back
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 5500steveb
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This Riad is 5+. The owners are very attentive. The rooms are basic but very comfortable. The bathrooms are good size (compared to other riads).
Riad Ali has probably the most priviliged location in Merzouga. You step out the door and you are walking in sand. The views from the terrasse are spectacular.
The food is basic marrocon, but very solid and good.
A greet place to relax next to the swimming pool and wonder off into the dunes at sunset or sunrise.

Ali Yakoubi the owner and is wife are lovely hosts.

Highly recommended for people who appreciate the silence, a spiritual experience.
Hopefully not to many noisy tourists willl ever end up there.
Enjoy the silence, the care of the personnel.
As all the riads, there are minor flaws. Too few electrical plugs if you travel like we do with half a dozen of chargers (camera, smartphone, PC).

Room Tip: There are rooms with single and double beds. Make sure you ask for the one you want.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Lexington, KY
Reviewed 28 January 2014

This is a really nice place to stay when visiting Merzouga due to its location right by the dunes and the warm hospitality of the staff. Rooms are spacious and well-appointed with nice large bathrooms (with ample hot water) and just a few steps away from the pool. There are many comfortable places to just hang out, whether around the pool, on the veranda, or on the upper terrace which overlooks the town and the dunes. In fact, we had a nice welcome tea and cookies up on the terrace as the sun set. Breakfast is included and is plentiful (various breads, yogurts, great fig preserves) and you can also have them prepare dinner (extra.) Our dinner was a wonderful spread of vegetable and kefta & egg tagines, with a delicious flan topped with caramel sauce for dessert. The staff can also arrange for a sunrise camel ride or other excursions although the dunes are so close, it's easy to take in the sunrise on your own. Overall, a great place to stay made even better by the hospitality and service of the smiling staff.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank fabfour23
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merzouga
Hotel Kasbah Mohayut
#1 of 1 in Erg Chebbi
Riad Madu
Riad Madu
#1 of 9 in Hassilabied

Been to Hotel Riad Ali? Share your experiences!