“My sanctuary”

Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Merzouga
London, United Kingdom
“My sanctuary”
Reviewed 11 February 2011

I go to the Nomad Palace to get away from busy London life - my job is extremely stressful so the peace and tranquility is wonderful. The staff really look after me well and are so friendly. I love it there.

Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank misswindolene

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Austin Texas
Reviewed 4 February 2011

Everything about Hotel Nomad Palace contributes to your sense of being in a different world and time. The structure rises up from the feet of the dunes like a mirage, and once inside it is filled with rustic charm and unbounded hospitality. After a long day and evening of travel and a late arrival, the kitchen was re-opened and a Moroccan feast was prepared. We were the only guests in the expansive dining area, which is styled like a Berber tent in the desert. As we perched on cushions on the floor, sipping mint tea and nibbling nuts while our food was being prepared, I experienced legendary Moroccan hospitality first-hand. Hotel Nomad Palace is a "must visit" on your itinerary!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
UK
Reviewed 15 January 2011

Where do I start!! I was a single female traveller who had gone to Morocco to escape the madness of Christmas and New Year at home. When I told a friend I wanted to stay somewhere peaceful they suggested here. How happy I am that they did.

I made it clear when I arrived that I was just there to relax so I was left in peace for a blissful 3 days. My sense was that they gave you as much or as little hospitality as you wanted as I saw them tending to the needs of other tourists. Each staff member was always pleasant and friendly and nothing ever seemed too much trouble. When I asked someone if they had heard of a Berber musician I had heard on the Supratours bus on the way down they appeared 2 days later with a CD of the artist as a present.

The place is very spacious with descent sized rooms that are very simple but beautifully decorated with Moroccan throws on the wall. The bathrooms were fully working (even with one wobbly tap lol) and there was plenty of hot water if you let it run a little. The bed and the pillows were amazingly comfortable and there were plenty enough blankets to keep me warm at night (though more would have been provided if not). I was expecting the rooms to be colder at night as they don't have heating but they were warmer than I expected. The second time I stayed I had a view of the dunes from my bedroom window. It was so quiet at night that I slept like a baby.

There was a descent sized pool, more of a dipping pool than swimming pool but it would have been enough to cool you off in the hot Saharan sun. It looked clean and well kept even though it was December. I loved spending my mornings and evenings watching the different birds coming to drink or to bathe. There were several sun loungers and umbrellas with a few tables and chairs. There was a covered area for when the weather warmed up and a bar (no alcohol) which I believe they open up when it is busier. The rooms are situated on two floors around the building and there is a little courtyard in the middle. There is a large beautifully decorated dining room covered in beautiful throws and cushions that was heated with a few patio heaters to take the chill out of the air. There was also a little reception area.

I spent my days sitting in the sun by the pool reading, or walking the dunes by day. Sitting watching the stars by the pool or from the dunes by night. I live in the country and am used to being able to see stars without light polution but never have I seen such an inky black sky with such bright twinkly stars that seemed as though you could just reach up and grab them. As well as the numerous shooting stars.

The dunes really are right on the doorstep of the hotel, Within a couple of minutes you can feel the sand under your feet. I am not sure what I was expecting but it was all that I hoped and more. It was also easier than I thought to walk and navigate myself through the dunes and I just loved all the little animal tracks in the sand and the occasional camel popping its head up. The views from the top of the dunes were amazing, especially if you ventured out at sunset or sunrise when not only was the sky magnificent but also the changing colours of the dunes. I have also never heard such a loud dawn chorus!

Depending on how busy it was sometimes dinner was a buffet with a huge selection of food and sometimes they came and asked what you wanted for dinner and would cook it just for you. As in all of Morocco the food would be limited for a vegetarian but I saw with other guests that they tried their hardest to accommodate food intolerances and eating preferences. The one thing that you wouldn’t go is hungry there as I am sure they saw double with the amount of food they gave me each evening. Again at breakfast the variety depended on how busy they were and was always refilled. I am also sure if you asked for something, if it was possible for them to provide it they would have done.

Although there was no alcohol served there they did not mind if you drank your own (even offering me olives with my daily 5pm beer). They would also tell you where you can buy beer in the town (just by the last supratours bus stop) and take you to it if you had no transport.

What I was amazed about was how calm and tranquil both the people and the place was, I felt my blood pressure drop as soon as I arrived. I spent hours sitting by the pool hearing nothing but the birds. I know there are many beautiful places to stay in Merzouga but what I loved about this one was it was away from the towns, if you walked into the dunes you could see the villages in the distance.

The hotel will collect you from anywhere you wish, they happily came to collect me at 10.30pm on New Years eve from the supratours bus stop and took me back at 7am for my return journey. They will organise any trip that you would like and will drive you to any part of the country that you would like to see from what I gathered from talking to other guests. I did not go as I had forgotten my thermals (it was mighty chilly at night) but I spoke to several guests who stayed overnight in the desert in the bivouac and they all said they had an amazing time. Some stayied for one night and some for 3. They also have a luxury bivouac with its own shower and toilet (perfect for me to bring my 68 year old mother to).

After my 3 days I returned to Marrakech for the night then promptly caught the bus back for another 6 days and was treated like an old friend. Having seen how easy it is to get there by bus from Fez or Marrakech I know that I will return many times whenever I want a few days of peace and relaxation as I felt perfectly safe and un-harassed staying there on my own.

Whether you go for a day or for a longer stay I am sure you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 9 January 2011

We spent New Year's eve there and enjoyed of a very friendly atmosphere in a very exotic place.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed 20 November 2010

I had one of THE most memorable experiences in the desert thanks to the wonderful Ali Mouni, my guide Hakim (sp?) and the rest of the friendly staff at the Nomad Palace. First of all, the sand dunes of the gorgeous Erg Chebbi are right outside the doors of the complex! The first morning there, I walked out my door and went for a rigorous hike up one of the dunes and had one of the most incredible views I've ever had (and I have climbed many, many mountains around the world!) I just KNEW the rest of the trip would be a treat. I went on a two-night camel safari (fantastic!) with one night encompassing a stay in the home of a Berber family. Unreal! I was wondering if the Sahara would somehow be a disappointment because of all the build-up in my head from movies, books, etc. Not at all – it was just as awe inspiring as I had hoped. At the end of the trip, Ali took me four-wheel driving up to the top of some dunes for a wonderful view of the pink and red sunset! An unexpected treat! He also drove me to Merzouga to catch my night bus to Fez (and on the way introduced me to his family – who showered me with typical Moroccan hospitality of tea, incredible warmth and laughter. His sister even took off her scarf and gave it to me when I sneezed. She insisted I keep it (for warmth) when I tried to return it to her upon leaving.) Ali also made sure the bus driver (a friend of his – Ali knows everybody, it seems) promised to take care of me for the trip. I have traveled quite extensively in my lifetime and I can truly say that this experience (and the incredible hospitality, charm and concern for tourists to be found in this country – and in the Sahara especially) was one of the best! Thanks Ali! I will be back!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
West Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 6 November 2010

My husband and I arrived at The Nomad Palace as part of an offroad motorbike tour, and we had just spent the last week camping in the desert, and my husband has just broken his collarbone. The Nomad Palace was an oasis in every meaning of the word, giving us a chance to recover. Ali arranged for a hospital visit, in fact everyone, especially Driss, went out of their way to spoil us all!

• Stayed October 2010
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 20 October 2010

Hey guys!

We stayed at the Nomad Palace for two nights in August 2010, where we also had organized our overnight camel trek in the Sahara desert.

What a wonderful experience! The hotel was sort of a last touch of civilization before the desert (with the dunes of the Sahara literally right outside the hotel). It was by no means “luxurious”, but I don’t think those people looking for an overnight camel trek in the Sahara desert with a night in a Berber tent are looking for luxury, but rather adventure. And this is exactly what we got: a wonderful adventure.

The staff were very nice and friendly and spoke a myriad of languages. The breakfast was so ample that you could even skip lunch and the dinner we had there was among the best meals we had in our 2 week vacation in Morocco. Really delicious! Plus, the swimming pool was a nice touch to cool down in the afternoon!

We both highly recommend the Nomad Palace. It was a lot of fun and a real adventure!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple