“Desert Paradise!!!”
Review of Dar El Janoub

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Merzouga
Dar El Janoub
Ranked #31 of 84 Merzouga B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I stayed here as part of my Morocco tour for two nights and it was just amazing. It far exceeded any of my expectations. The food was just beautiful and the rooms were very nice. I had a room which looked towards Merzouga but you could just see bits of dune to the left of the window which really reminded you of where you were. I loved the atmosphere at the hotel. The terrace which leads out into the Sahara is just an amazing place to finish off at the end of the day or to have breakfast at in the morning. If you get the chance to go out for a sunset camel ride, it is a must. It was an amazing end to the day. I was also able to see the amazing sunrise over the dunes from the rooftop terrace - a moment I will never forget. The hospitality was wonderful and it was an all round awe inspiring place to stay whilst out in the desert. We were even treated to an evening of music after dinner. A really lovely touch. The stars at night from the terrace are beautiful. I hope to return one day to such an amazing place.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank MusicMaestro95
dareljanoub, Responsable réception at Dar El Janoub, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Firstly ,thank you so much for taking the time to leave your great feedback following your stay with us at The Dareljanoub Hotel. I was delighted that we met your expecations and I do hope that you enjoyed your holiday abroad. I have passed on your kind words to the team . Please do visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 September 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights and it was wonderful. Amazing views, great facilities and friendly, helpful staff. We were at first given a room without a terrace, but when I asked for one we were given a free upgrade to the honeymoon suite. The shower was the hottest and most powerful of our stay in Morocco, the food was great and varied, it is truly a desert paradise. Yes, it's expensive, but it still offers great value for money. We loved this place and can't recommend highly enough

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank RichTweed

Reviewed 22 May 2011

We had a fantastic stay at Dar El Janoub. The place is really tasteful and the food great, really tasty and different each night including some Moroccan specialities. The place has clean spacious rooms with great view of the dunes, ask for a suite. Great bathrooms with good hot showers. Pool area is tastefully designed, not over the top, full of flowers and nice plants. One feels like in a desert paradise with birds drinking from the water fountains. The restaurant and tea room feel very cosy. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful - from the moment we arrived we felt very at home. We had a very warm welcome when we arrived of a night bus journey. Rachid at reception was really flexible and nice about arranging trips to the desert. He and other staff were very friendly and we had great times telling jokes and playing drums with them all in the evenings. This place is great value and we would definitely return and recommend to anyone going to Merzouga.

Room Tip: ask for a suite - have amazing view of the dunes
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pavelkorchagin

Reviewed 18 January 2011

We enjoyed our stay at this Hotel, after being in a tent the night before-the hot water (needs to run for awhile before it gets hot) and the amenities were heaven. We had a nice dinner and were entained by members of the staff with traditional Berber music.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank PhylisBC

Reviewed 2 January 2011

Pros:
. Great location just besides the amazing desert
. Great rooms, clean and spacious
. Good service, manager available full time speaking any language you need.

Cons:
. The same manager that is always helpful and available always try to over charge the activities they offer. Just go to the hotel next door for the camel riding, quad riding, car rental
. Food is poor and few options
. On our way back the manager tried to over charge the taxi we hired by 40%.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paulofb
dareljanoub, Responsable Reception at Dar El Janoub, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Thank's in advance for your positive comments about Dar eljanoub Hotel. I am so pleased that, throughout your stay, you were impressed by the service the Team provided.

deeply disappointed reading your nigative comments( Cons).
Every where you go in the world,there are high and less prices ,depend on services,and a responsability,i didn't charge any high prices for the activities we offer,(it was a high season),
The taxi driver told you to pay him 40% as a disposit,i just translate it to you ,because the man didn't know speack any lunguages,that's all,(i did his job)

I was really very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations.Please accept my

apologies for the disappointment this would have caused.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 17 July 2010

We ended up in Dar El Janoub accidentally of deciding not to camp in the sand dunes because it was quite late by the time we arrived in Merzouga. It was certainly a bit of a treat!

The staff were very hospitable indeed. To keep costs down, we opted not go half board but B&B only. However after having had quite a difficult day, the manager insisted on providing us with a courtesy dinner. This was certainly appreciated, especially as they had to keep the kitchen open late for us. As we arrived very late at night, Dar el Janoub kept the swimming pool operating for us till past midnight which was much appreciated, especially given the summer temperatures!
If you've made it to Merzouga in Morocco, your expectations should be set so that you are not expecting the same services that you would get in a major city and that there aren't many tarmac roads. This is a place for adventure, excursions and exploration. The track that leads to Dar el Janoub is essentially an off road track as are most of the tracks in Merzouga.

A typical Moroccan breakfast of break, cakes, jams and cheese with mint tea can be served up in Dar el Janoub while you overlook Erg Chebbi. The sand dunes certainly make for an excellent view from your room or while having breakfast in the morning.
We were impressed with the layout of the dar and the way it was built to blend in with the local environment.

The bathroom was spotlessly clean, the room was also very clean and our room overlooked the sand dunes. The air conditioning is very effective and you have full control of the temperature settings.

There is free Internet WiFi at Dar el Janoub. The swimming pool isn't huge but is of a good size and there is sufficient room to relax around the pool. If you happen to be driving here, then there is plenty of parking.

As we went in summer, it was low season and very quiet. This certainly added to the charm of the place.

I would recommend Dar el Janoub if you are after a bit of quiet in the desert or simply want to use it as a base to explore the local area. It has a ver relaxed atmosphere and the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Invisible_Shadow

Reviewed 3 April 2010

We just got back from staying at Dar El Janoub. We really liked it. The staff was incredibly helpful and cheerful. The room was fine but nothing great. The trek to the dunes was a bit long (2 hours) and if you are traveling with young children, it probably isn't the best thing to do. The berber tent stay at the desert was ok. Nothing fancy as some of the other berber tents are. The hotel had ok food with an ok pool.

What really made the hotel stay great was the staff. Super friendly and helpful. The road leading to the hotel (in fact all of the hotels in the area) is awful. Very bumpy and rocky. This is par for the course in the area. It just would be nice if one hotel fixed their road.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family