“Great place to stay!”
Review of Riad Dar Barbara

Riad Dar Barbara
Ranked #14 of 63 Ouarzazate B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Our tour guide booked this hotel for us and we were very happy with the service and the hotel. Our room was very comfortable, the staff was very nice and helpful.
Dinner was great also.
Will definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 January 2012

We were booked at this hotel through our tour operator Desert Majesty. When we arrived we were greeted very pleasantly & made welcome. We weren't sure what to expect since the tour operator called it a ethic hotel. Everything was very clean and comfortable, but simple. When we couldn't get our heat on they happily returned 2 times until we were happy & warm. We were asked when we wanted dinner, when we arrived in the dining room there was a fire going, how wonderful & cozy it felt. We were served a wonderful cream of vegtable soup. They offered us more soup, but I had to save room for dinner. Over our 5 day trip we had wonderful food & service but nothing compared to the dinner we had here. This was the best dinner of our trip! It's the area specialty tajine, wish I could remember the name (Cham---?) chucks of beef, onions, veggies, egg on top with a delicious spiced sauce! We had a wonderful Moroccan red wine with dinner! The waiter was fabulous, he made us feel so welcome and was hilarious. The breakfast was the standard Moroccan fare but very good, OJ, coffee with milk, great breads with butter & yummy jams and an egg. I would stay here again if I'm lucky enough to visit again!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Boxergirl_2008
Reviewed 6 December 2011

After a not so great experience at another hotel in Ouarzazate, we looked around for a new option. Dar Barbara is exactly what we were looking for. Hassan, the owner, welcomed us so sincerely upon our arrival and the rest of his staff just couldn't have been kinder. The room was comfortable, the room was nice, the Dar itself is interesting and traditional. A very nice area on the roof for admiring the views. A very nice place to stay, we can recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 October 2011

From the second you step inside, you are greeted by friendly and hilarious staff. The place feels like home. The dining room is great in the evenings when delicious tajines are prepared and music fills the evening. DUring the day, the rooftop terrace is perfect for breakfast and relaxing. It's a relaxing place. In fact, I've been back several times. Just because....

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Livingmydreamat29
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I came to this hotel towards the end of a very bad trip travelling around Morocco. On arriving I was greeted very warmly and shown my room and given a tour of the hotel. I had not been well during my trip (food and water poisoning and general sharky service) and the landlady, Jill, made special arrangements for me to be allocated a very quiet room where I would be able to rest and ensured a very plain meal and breakfast to be cooked for me.
The hotel is owned by an anglo-moroccan couple who have successfully managed to balance an authentic Moroccan atmosphere with the standards expected by western tourists, and from staying in approx 6 hotels and riads during my visit, this is no easy task to manage (see my other Morocco reviews!!!!)
I was looked after very well, and as a solo traveller with given as much or as little company as I wanted. I really would recommend this hotel. Due to general bad experiences of Morocco I am unsure if I will ever re-visit the country, but if I did, I would certainly make a special effort to stay here again. Thankyou very much.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank ahedger
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Riad dar Barbara is an excellent choice if you’re visiting Ouarzazate and want a comfortable place filled with Moroccan hospitality and charm. The riad, situated just across the river in the Berber village of Tadja, provides a comfortable location for sleeping, consistently excellent dining experiences, and an excellent location for visiting with friends. I am certain it will be my home-away-from-home each time I visit this region of Morocco.

The riad architecture, designed by Hassan in the style of his great grandfather’s riad, is gorgeous… with beautiful trim designs and traditional style. The views in any direction—whether of the city, palm groves, and gardens backed by the magnificent snow-capped Atlas Mountains or the surrounding village backed by rock outcrops and rolling hills¬¬—are stunning day and night. This riad was both welcoming and a welcomed site at the end of each day of touring. The room was impeccably cleaned daily and I was able to get clothes washed and sun-dried a few times during my visit of six days. The bathroom was simple, functional, and a design I will incorporate in my own home.

The food and service at Riad dar Barbara was superb…key factors in my decision to return to this riad. We spent a few nights dining on the upper terrace under the stars, while other nights were spent downstairs, enjoying our meal with friends in the dining room or outside on the terrace. I agree with other reviewers that the tajines and breads (and salads too) were exceptional! Everything was so fresh, delicious and perfectly timed, at whatever pace we requested. When paired with good friends, the combination of food, service, accommodation, and views was unbeatable.

The staff was genuine and welcoming, and made our stay all the more enjoyable. As a native English speaker who could attempt only the most rudimentary French and some Berber, I found the ability of much of the staff to speak fluent English a real bonus. The proprietors, Hassan and Jilly, are there most days and nights and both are a joy to visit with. Hassan’s nephew, Bahsini, made our stay memorable with his great sense of humor and good will. Everyone working at Riad dar Barbara was pleasant and accommodating without excess.

One thing not mentioned in other reviews was the possibility of a visit to a local hammam. This was a most incredible experience and one I would recommend to anyone not hesitant to bathe communally. The henna scrub was rejuvenating and the exfoliating massage I received from Nadia, who accompanied me to the hammam, is to die for. One of the first things I will do upon my return.

I can’t say enough wonderful things about this riad as a home base when visiting Ouarzazate. It’s peaceful, safe, and the location in Tadja is perfect, whether you have a 4x4, car, bike, or would enjoy a daily walk to the Kasbah or newer part of the town in Ouarzazate. The sounds of the songbirds and the morning prayers are a lovely way to start each day, though it’s quiet when the windows are closed. Just down the street and around the corner you can get great deals on carpets, antiques, pottery, jewelry, tools and artifacts from different generations of Berber families. Our drivers, from Desert and Mountain Expeditions out of Marrakesh, made it possible to experience the region’s culture, desert clime, ecology, and villages in style. It was enjoyable to be able to experience the region intimately, without feeling like an intruder, given that Moroccans are such a peaceful loving people.

When you find yourself planning a trip to Ouarzazate, definitely consider including the Riad dar Barbara in your travel plans. You will be glad you did…and I suspect, like me, eager after the trip to find a way back to this comfortable home-away-from-home.

Room Tip: room facing out to the palmier (back of hotel)
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank sherrylikethewine
Reviewed 24 May 2011

Riad dar Barbara has the most welcoming and tranquil atmosphere we have experienced in Morocco. This newer riad with historic design and decoration has beautiful large, clean rooms. The view of the palmerie, town and Atlas Mountains are spectacular. We had excellent meals each of the 4 nights we stayed at Riad Dar Barbara, including delicious tagine and pastilla. Our hosts, Jilly and Hassan and the staff met our every need, from moving us to a room off the rooftop terrace without our lifting a finger, to providing transport and a knowledgeable, easy-going guide for a tour of Ait Ben Haddou, to arranging for a rental car with pickup and drop off right at the door, to providing a driver to the airport at the wee hours of the morning (not to mention a light breakfast). You are 'taken care of' at Riad Dar Barbara. I absolutely cannot wait to return

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple