Dar Daif
  • Pool
Zaghro Hotel(Ouarzazate)
Hotel Atlas Dunes(Ouarzazate)
View Hotel
All reviewsjean pierrethe ownerdifferent levelsone nightnearby towna small swimming poolcomplimentary teadays triphours drivingbase to explorebeautiful courtyardeach morningthe main housean upgradeyogurtdraa valleyrefreshing pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 December 2012

This was on of several riads I stayed at on a 10 day trip to Morocco--and I stayed here twice.

The rooms are very comfortable, very clean and have great internet access. They also have really good reading lamps, which was rare. Hot water was plentiful. There is no TV--great!

The food was good, I had both breakfast and dinner at the hotel--which is well away from the town so going anywhere was not easy--and made for a quiet location. The gardens are beautiful. There is no alcohol at the hotel, but you can bring your own. The only small complaint I have is the musician was a bit overbearing--all through kindness but it was too much like the mariachi band at a mexican restaurant. He did finally leave us to our conversation.

John Pierre, the owner is very helpful in planning the best of Morocco.

I would stay here a third time with no hesitation.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from dining area.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We booked this place on the advice of our booking agents (Naturally Morocco). From the minute we entered through the large wooden door from the street it felt like being in paradise! What a stunningly beautiful property this is. The decor is 'traditional' and absolutely amazing. We'd chosen to upgrade to a Junior Suite, and ended up with a very nice room (No.20) with plenty of space and superb views from our own private terrace.

Jean Pierre, Zineb, and all the staff were extremely helpful and gracious. There were some very nice touches - like being given a large bottle of water when arriving each evening and when departing each morning.

If you're a bird lover, Dar Daif is for you. On our first morning we took a stroll to the reservoir, led by a member of Dar Daif's team. The first bird we saw when the sun came up was an Osprey. Before breakfast we'd seen Black Stork, White Stork, Flamingo, Black-winged Stilt, Crested Lark, Great Grey Shrike, Little Owl, Cattle Egret, and much much more. At breakfast, the House Buntings were in attendance - negatively commented on by a past reviewer, but to us they were charming.

Dar Daif is excellently placed for exploring mountain and desert. The Draa Valley is not to be missed, and the Dadès Valley is awesomely scenic. Ait Benhaddou is nearby, and it is now possible (since 2011) to continue beyond Tamdaght on metalled road right through to Telouèt and on to the N9 again. We had three nights based here, but could have done with much longer as we felt that there was much more to see and do in the immediate vicinity of Dar Daif.

Many previous reviewers have commented on the excellent food here. At the risk of being controversial, I'd like to make comment. The breakfasts were extremely good, but we found ourselves to be somewhat embarrassed by only being able to consume half of what was put in front of us. As this had been prepared freshly for our consumption, I suspect that it was not 'recyclable'. Morocco is not a wealthy country, and it was the wastefulness that concerned us. The dinners were even more huge in comparison (probably three times what we could manage) and frankly not, in the main, to our taste. I suspect that we'd made wrong choices - on my previous visit to Morocco, I'd been inspired by tagines, but not here.

Just to put all this back in perspective. I'd still be very disappointed if I thought that I'd never return to Dar Daif. In the balance, it's a truly marvellous place to stay!

Room Tip: Room No.20 (a junior suite) has great views and is very comfortable, but has a shower (no bath) - mentioned because our booking agent's details states all junior suites at Dar Daif have a bath.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We found the Dar Daif when driving back from the desert. I started to get late and we needed to find some where to stay. As with a lot of places in morocco the outside looks ......not very inviting! Once through the doors it is like entering another world. A quiet courtyard garden and good views. The evening meal was good and we were played to by local musician who managed to get a tune out of the four stringed "broomhandle and bowl" not sure what they call it, but he was brilliantly enthusiastic.
The staff were friendly and this is a good place to stay. It is a bit of a miander down the back street to find it but it you ask a local they all know where it is.

Room Tip: Most of the room seem to have a good view
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We had à verhaal pleasant stay for ons nicht at dar daif. Warm welcome, delicious dinner. The room was Nice and clean. When we left Jean Pierre THE owner gave us some great tips for off road trip through dades vallee.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RobertMarlies
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I can never forget this place, very warm and welcoming riad, we were in summer, beautiful room with beautiful fourniture and artisanat , during the day, you can have a swim, and later a hammam.
I can never forget the food: 100% bio, We did not get to be bored, no TV, eating having some rest reading, swimming...You can ask for any thing you want, you will get it with a nice smile.
Very clean, the smell of the rooms and also the library with interesting books to reads.
Bravo J Pierre