“Stargazing in the Sahara” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stargazing Hotel Sahara Sky

Stargazing Hotel Sahara Sky
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Zagora
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Stargazing in the Sahara”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

I knew nothing about astronomy but now I have had a great taste of thousands of stars, a comet, the rings of saturn and its moons - from astronomers of many nationalities. Breakfast when you want, extremely comfy beds, relaxed atmosphere, friendly staff. Our car had a flat tyre- they got it mended for Euro2; they introduced us to charming camel owner; a guide round the 11th century village of Tamagoute; phoned bookings ahead. On my birthday they cooked my request of goat tajine, and a surprise cake. It would be boring for children, and not easy without transport. Ideal for a quiet time, staying in the desert without being in a tent. The sauna and Jacuzzi was very welcome after a camel ride in the dunes. Amazing sunsets.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony, I paid a bit extra for a view of dunes and camels.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank JanieHampton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

I visited Sahara Sky for the geminids meteor shower in the second week of december. It was a great experience and because I shared a room with 2 other backpackers it wasn't to expensive (about 35 euro's a night p.p. if I remember correctly..but breakfast, dinner and the stars were included ;) )
It was a great experience for 2 nights because of the meteor shower. But apart from that I wouldn't recommend the place for people on a budget. Without your own transportation you have to rely on hitchhiking to see anything in the area (great fun, but a slow process).
Want to really see the desert. Stay in Zagora and book a trip from there! (the sand dune behind the hotel isn't really that impressive)

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RobinMeijer
Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

Be aware! This is the most expensive place around Zagora, what will you get there? Shabby interior, bored staff, which treats you like hostiles. The food and breakfast will make you run away and never come back. This is a cold, heartless bunker and nothing than scam, dont waste your money.

Room Tip: Just stay away. there are berbers in front of the great dune - there u will feel like a guest...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Torsten S
fritzkoZagoraMorocco, Owner at Stargazing Hotel Sahara Sky, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
This diffamatory review appears to be written by a person that was not a guest in our hotel.
The hotel register - reviewed and classidied by the local police station - shows no "Torsten S"
since jan 2013.

Diffamatory remarque: "most expensive hotel in zagora" - there are 5 other hotels more expensive.

"...bored staff which treats you like hostiles" - how come SaharaSky is ranked n°. 3 of hotels in Zagora?

Note: Hotel & Observatory SaharaSky was elected one of "the 12 best stargazing hotels worldwide" in feb. 2013 by CNN.online.

Travellers are raving about these Zagora hotels

Turku, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

We travelled to the sahara desert on 12.12.2012 for 3 night (but we stayed for 1 night more) to see the Geminids meteor shower and to catch an Asteroid on photo.
The first impression when I got off the bus, I really fell on my "behind" so much there were stars in the sky!!! We walked to the hotel where the owner Fritz greeted us at the front door. The place was simply magical. All the arrangements for the room and the sauna and dinner/breakfast was in order. No fuss, no problem, pure vacation!
The next morning we woke up and saw the hotel in broad light, it was fantastic, in the middle of nowhere, just sand and dune. The room was really clean and the beds where comfortable (the blanket was the best, as it was so big, you could wrap yourself in twice). As we used the telescopes in the night, the breakfast could be served still a little later than usual.
The telescope is just the cream of the cream! State of the art telescopes/mounts and accessories. It was great! I could be there in the early hours of the morning by my self and use the big telescopes and no problems (I guess you have to know a little bit of telescope use before). If not, Fritz is there every night to give a little course on astronomy and let you see the wonders of the universe through the telescopes.
The evening dinner is usually a typical Marrocan food and it is DELICIOUS (even if I am a light eater). The restaurant in the hotel is grand and it feels like you are in a royal palace with high ceilings. The bar offers all kinds of variety of beers, alcohol and wines. The Sauna was luxuary, imagine taking a sauna in the sahara desert, just unbeleavable feeling (for us anyway as we are Finns). Nice jacuzzi, great heat in the sauna and the showers work well. The sun-chairs gave you the impression you where in a resort vacation type of hotel!
All in all, I have to say, it impressed me very much this Sahara Sky hotel. If you have astronomy/stargazing as a hobby, this is the place to go. Really this was the top of the top of the TOP!
I recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank StefanL670
Lappersdorf, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Stargazing was the major reason to visit SaharaSky hotel. The exspectations were high and we were not disappointed after our 1 week stay with excellent weather conditions in January 2013. If you want crystal clear sky and a very familiar atmosphere - this is your place.
A one day jeep tour into the sahara and two trips to Zagora and Tamegroute complemented our night program.
I can recommend this hotel; only if you like party and shopping in your holiday you should look for another place than southern morocco.
For all who like the stars, the desert and a relaxed/friendly atmosphere it is a really nice place.
I will visit SaharaSky hotel again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Marc E
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2013

I don't want to discourage you from visiting Sahara Sky, but I think it is best you know what to expect ...

I first found Sahara Sky in an Astronomy magazine and it looked great - dark skies and plenty of stars. But then I saw a You Tube video of 'The Unimpressed Threesome' from England (Celsdon3000) arriving at this skaffy-looking hotel in the middle of a sandstorm, and realised that we were not heading into luxury ...

So here we go ... firstly the hotel is in the middle of some serious desert - the sand is building up over the walls of the compound, and it is only a matter of time before the whole place is buried. The water comes from a well below the hotel, and every now and then the shower turns from hot to cold with no prior warning, and then back again - eliciting many shrieks from my son - who stays in the shower for ever ... but not in the Sahara Sky! In a sandstorm, the dust gets into your car, a bit of dust gets in the rooms, a bit all over the hotel. The telescopes will not be operated in a sandstorm - the sand would wreck them. Berber Arabs camp in the vicinity of the hotel, and come in to buy their drinks (in plastic bags) in the evening. There is a 'seen better days' pool table in the bar (plus a dartboard with just one dart). The Berbers will be willing to offer you advice on the Pool if you are willing to listen. So here is one reason to visit Sahara Sky, the place has character, and you will meet the locals, and those locals might just have walked from Timbuktu. We had a crew of German bikers who had just done over 1,000 miles off road, and were only too willing to share their experiences with us.

I swear the barman-chef must have been the cook for some French Foreign Legion outfit - the food was awful ! Soup that tasted like someone had dipped a vegetable in it for a minute. Tagine chicken with hardly any chicken. Breakfast was processed cheese, instant coffee and rolls. Fortunately the hotel had arranged a trip to the sand dunes near M'Hamid and at Le Pacha we had a really good (filling) lunch which saw us through our two nights.

Now the Astronomy - assuming no sandstorms, the 'seeing' is seriously good, pretty much as soon as a star comes up, it is visible. Fritz (who owns the hotel) has a good solar scope, and I would encourage you to ask him to get it out during the day - I saw my first Coronal Arch here, and in the evening I saw Uranus for the first time. It was also the first time that I have clearly seen Andromeda with the naked eye - through my own mini-binoculars, Andromeda looked fantastic, a whole spinning galaxy of stars. Fritz has a telescope capable of tracking any nebula with perfect accuracy for 6 minutes - this one is dedicated to photography, so if you bring your kit with you I have no doubt you will be able to take a good photo, just choose your target.

Is this place good value for money - yes, given where it is - just don't expect 5 star !

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank damist38
Bradford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013

I am completely at a loss when I read the previous comments given about the Sahara Sky hotel and can only assume the guests giving excellent comments are friends of the owner... or else I stayed in another hotel of the same name near Zagora. When I booked this hotel, I was extremely excited and really looking forward to spending some relaxing time in a plush hotel after touring round Morocco visiting various places for a couple of weeks. I was wrong!
We turned up after dark, and were welcomed by a grumpy looking Moroccan chap sitting in a chair at the front of the hotel, not until my husband got out did he acknowledge our presence. we took our suitcases in and looked around for someone to see to us. The manager evetually came, Nice chap called Helmut, He was about the only nice thing about the place. The hotel had an air of the Adams family about it, very unwelcoming, no atmosphere and cold. We were shown to our room, it was very basic, and i mean basic, we had one towel to share! The room had a terrace which gave a wonderful view, but the door had an enormous gap when closed and let all the cold evening air in. the bed was very very old and the most uncomfortable i have ever slept in, the matress was totally shot! The bathroom was bitterly cold, it had an overbath shower which was inadequate, no shower curtain. the shower worked after running the tap for 20 minutes, but this was on the first night only! the second night it worked for only one of us to have a shower and the 3rd night, the boiler broke, there was no hot water at all. After speaking to Helmut he advised the boiler was being fixed, to gibe it 45 minutes and try again, which I did, no luck after runnig water for 20 minutes, so off I went again, He said the boiler wouldn't be running for about 2 hours.... Not what i wanted to hear after we had spent a day driving off road in the desert!. He must have seen something on my face bacause he said if all i wanted was a hot shower then i could use the spa shower. The breakfast is stale bread, jam, butter and luke warm coffee, I really sound like a bitter holiday maker, but believe me this breakfast was worse than what i serve up at home!!! the evening meal was ok. set meal which i thought was included in the price, but wasn't! the staff are scruffy sloppy and unapproachable.
it looked like a set from faulty towers, the whole place is uncomfortable, miserable and so far from being somwhere to chill out and relax as is possible to be. and once you are there you are stuck asthe road to it is treacherous in the dark and is not recommended to drive along after dark. It is a great spot to star gaze though and does have the telescopes, but I presume the owner needs to be there in order to get any decent gazing done and he wasn't there.
From other comments maybe we should have booked a suite or a comfort room, but didn't think for a minute we would have to pay extra for 'comfort' in our room. The hotel is in need of painting redecoration and updating everywhere. it does not seem to be loved, that is what is lacking...I would not recommend anyone to stay here. and the worst of all is the price, I cannot believe the price of a night there.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple