Stargazing Hotel Sahara Sky
  • Restaurant
Palais Asmaa(Zagora)
Hotel Reda(Zagora)
TripAdvisor
All reviewspool tableresident astronomersand duneshotel ownermoroccan saharacomfort roomunique experiencemoroccan winecamel ridemilky wayatlas mountainswonderful placefritzpatricktelescopetinfouroof
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Our vacation in this hotel feels like beeing in a big family.
The trips we did from this location were well organized by Fritz Koring. Every evening we looking forward to a great dinner and the very friendly service.
We had great nights with perfect sky observations and this is a special thing the hotel gave us.
Joining the stars with friends who love to do this too and feeling like beeing in family.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dirk S
Reviewed 10 November 2013

A wonderful three nights stay at the hotel. A combination of genuine hospitality, comfortable rooms with good beds, stunning views and well equipped bathroom. It's setting deep in Morocco, surrounded by open space and nearby oasis and dunes. In the distance there is an almost 360° surrounding of mountains. Up on the roof there is an excellent type, size, quality, and variety of telescopes to view the amazing desert sky in the night time and solar telescopes for day time observing. A large selection of peripherals are ready to hand, for astronomers to use for both visual and imaging purposes. Sunsets there are a treat, The food is made by a very good cook and is not only very nicely presented to you but tastes very good indeed, with lots of side dishes to go with the main and a good selection of drinks. Dinner is served in the open air, under a high canopy with the stars in view. The staff are genuinely friendly and go to length to make your stay a good one. Downstairs there is a large bar with darts and a pool table, a sitting room and a nice looking sauna and jacuzzi. Outside is shaded parking and security personnel that make themselves invisible. Markets, shops and a bank with ATM machine are all a short drive away. The hotel and observatory owner Fritz, came down especially from his home in Casablanca to join the astronomers present in observing, a journey of over 600k. He made every effort for our enjoyment. Highly recommended place to stay and relax in a civilized way, within a calm and natural setting.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank nicholas j
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I am always fair and honest in my reviews and so, after an unpleasant stay here, I contacted the manager by email to give him a chance to explain any extenuating circumstances that might have made our visit the exception and not the norm.
What followed were numerous hostile replies from the manager accusing me of lying and of being in cahoots with a competitor hotel! I was also told that, unless I retracted my statement about poor food quality, I would be directly responsible for the cook losing her job - how's that for emotional blackmail? I am more than willing to forward the entire email exchange to anyone who asks for it however I do not intend to go into every gory detail in this review.

We had booked this hotel months in advance purely for the opportunity of guided stargazing. Unfortunately, a sand storm blew up shortly before we arrived so this was unavoidably out of the question. As a result, I can only review this hotel as a hotel and not as an observatory.

When we arrived, the whole place was dark and deserted - after ringing a brass bell on reception a few times, a lovely lady called Khadija appeared to check us in. In our entire stay, she was the only person who deigned to speak to us and tried to make us feel welcome. In contrast to her ebullient friendliness, the four other male staff sat smoking in the hotel lobby and didn't even return a greeting when we addressed them in both Moroccan darija and French. They made it perfectly clear that our presence was interfering with their plans. It transpired that the hotel manager was away and the staff were certainly making the most of that fact. The locked, closed doors in every doorway, the echoing footsteps, surly staff and lack of lighting made us feel like we had entered the hotel in The Shining.
This hotel seems to class itself as a "luxury" venue - and it certainly prices itself as such. I wonder if luxury is really represented by entire plug sockets hanging dangerously out of the wall with live wiring exposed? Or with mismatched, multi-coloured, threadbare towels in the bathroom? One "feature" of the bathrooms in the hotel is their interesting ventilation system. These consist of uncovered breeze blocks in the bathroom wall which open onto the main landing. The landing itself is open to the courtyard and main lobby area below. The resulting acoustics allow everyone in the hotel to hear you using the toilet - and you can imagine that any smells will be shared equally between guests.
The rooms are not luxurious. They are standard, functional hotel rooms - reminiscent of a Travelodge but with more dated décor. The framed pictures in the room do little to lift the feeling of being in a Benidorm hotel room 20 years ago. One photograph in our room actually turned out to be a calendar from the 1990's!
The bar area is as dated as the rest of the hotel but with the addition of some Xmas decorations, tinsel and fairy lights - in MAY. The dining room itself made me think of Fawlty Towers and the small hotels in Bournemouth that my grandparents used to take me to as a child. Either that or a nursing home dining room.
The food was really not great and there were dead flies on the table - the same dead flies were still there the following morning along with the crumbs from the previous evening. Khadija was bubbly, friendly and sweet and we conversed with her in broken French and Arabic as the male staff moved into bar to continue their "party".
The next morning we were served breakfast by a man who managed to neither speak to nor look at us the entire time. We were served defrosted jam, rancid butter, stale bread and a piece of tough cake that had obviously been kept in the fridge and not been allowed to reach room temperature before serving. After breakfast we met Khadija who apologised for not having been able to prepare or serve as she had been ill in the night - she seemed surprised that the man had done it. We therefore assumed that this was NOT the standard breakfast that most guests receive and that the man had simply had no idea what he was doing.
When I mentioned this in my email I was told that I was lying and that we had been served with eggs and a full Moroccan breakfast.
As a British citizen, I will freely admit to perhaps being overly polite in certain situations. As we Brits always do, we had told Khadija the previous evening that the meal was delicious. We did this because firstly, who on earth would risk offending the person responsible for preparing their food halfway through a meal? Secondly, who would want to alienate the ONLY member of staff willing to communicate with us? The following morning we checked out as soon as possible - paying the bill without being spoken to by the silent man.
The manager used both of these as examples of my "telling lies" - asserting that nobody pays their bill or is pleasant to serving staff if they are not happy. Perhaps he is not used to guests who have manners - or guests who follow the industry standard procedure of addressing complaints directly to management?
I am sure that the observatory and the star gazing is a wonderful experience - I suggest you pay to do this alone and without staying in the hotel itself. Sahara Sky is a charmless, European motorway-style hotel dropped into the Moroccan sands. What a shame it hasn't absorbed any of the delightful hospitality that Morocco is so famed for.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank LaLico
Reviewed 27 May 2013

In late April, we spent 2 very comfortable nights at the Sahara Sky. It sits in a sandy barren landscape close to the incongruously situated Tinfou dune - the oasis is away off to the West at this point so the starkness of the environment is a vivid reminder of the desert some miles ahead. Another reminder is the sand that creeps through windows and under French doors when the wind gets up... staff are on top of this and were there to sweep up! Helmut, the hotel manager, made us very welcome and staff settled us into 2 comfortable rooms with terrific bathrooms and a balcony with views across the dramatically bleak landscape.

After a fine dinner on the terrace watching a full moon come up, we moved to the roof for a planet-gazing session with Helmut. Alas, the gorgeous moon reduced our chances of seeing anything but Helmut was still able to produce Saturn for us – a magical moment! The next night, he called up Jupiter (with moons) before Earth’s moon crossed the horizon. During the day, Helmut gave us a memorable tour of oases kasbahs and villages.

The Sahara Sky was among our most enjoyable stops on a 2-week trip. Comfort, good food… and oh! that lovely cold beer at the end of a long hot day. Helmut was an extremely gracious host who put himself out to maximize the pleasure of our stay, as did the other members of the small staff. I recommend it highly.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ann M
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I knew nothing about astronomy but now I have had a great taste of thousands of stars, a comet, the rings of saturn and its moons - from astronomers of many nationalities. Breakfast when you want, extremely comfy beds, relaxed atmosphere, friendly staff. Our car had a flat tyre- they got it mended for Euro2; they introduced us to charming camel owner; a guide round the 11th century village of Tamagoute; phoned bookings ahead. On my birthday they cooked my request of goat tajine, and a surprise cake. It would be boring for children, and not easy without transport. Ideal for a quiet time, staying in the desert without being in a tent. The sauna and Jacuzzi was very welcome after a camel ride in the dunes. Amazing sunsets.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony, I paid a bit extra for a view of dunes and camels.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends