“Good stay ... was sick with food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hospedaje Caballito's Mar

Hospedaje Caballito's Mar
Sherbrooke, Canada
“Good stay ... was sick with food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

Had a 4 beds dorm only for me for 5$ !!! Shared bathroom with one other 4 beds dorm where only 2 persons where staying. The room is really basic but the sheets are clean. Fan and breeze from the lake.

Great location 5 minutes from centre of the "town" ! Rent bicycle, really great and cheap kayak tour to rio istiam and isle congo. Suggest renting bike to go to san ramon waterfall... huge !

Service for food is super slow (like 1h to get your food). Had supper there before I woke up at 1 am sick ! Lasted 2 days ... didn't drank their water or juice. I had a chicken plate with beer... who knows where it came from !

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank zosianne

Business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

I spent one night here as a result of getting temporarily stranded. I wish I would have found this place earlier during my three week stay on Ometepe. The room was just a room, but this establishment has a tranquil location right on the lake. The food is excellent, and I will always carry the memory of two beautiful girls bathing on the lake's shore as I sipped a grande Tona...I hope my girlfriend didn't notice me being distracted. This hotel offers for rental some of the better kayaks I've seen in Nicaragua. Peace, beauty, beer, good food, and kayaks...what's not to like?

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Granada, Nicaragua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

We popped in on this gem during the slow season - which meant that there weren't many other people there. The dorms and bathrooms are super clean, and the staff welcome and accommodating. This is a super tranquillo place to come and relax. The food is fantastic - priced for the backpackers' budget and a dream - I second the reviewer who mentioned the whole tilapia from the lake. Cooked to perfection!

There are kayaks on site for rent for a low price, and a short walk up the road will take you to other small restaurants and a place to rent horses for the day - also for a low price. Plan to spend a few days here unwinding, exploring the sites, and dropping into the lovely rhythm of the place. I highly recommend this hospedaje!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Antigua, Guatemala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

We got off the local bus in Merida and locals pointed us the path down to Caballitos Mar. It is situated right on the lake's edge on the calmer, less windy side of Ometepe. One of the owners, Erik, was there to greet us and sat down to chat with us about our travels.

We loved this place but a word of warning, it is very basic accommodation and bathroom/shower. This is not luxury accommodation but they are gradually building up and improving and it has a simple, rustic feel. On top of that it is great value for money.. I think we paid $10 for a double room. The food is also all typical Nicaraguan and fantastic.. especially the fresh whole fish from the lake.

We took their kayak tour of the Istiam river which was great fun and we spotted monkeys, turtles, lots of birds and a caymen. We also used their contacts to get a great local guide form the cooperative who took us to climb Volcan Maderas.

We were unlucky enough to get sick on our return from the volcano, most likely exhaustion and dehydration and Erick and his staff did everything to look after us from preparing us a special tea from local tree bark to settle our stomachs to cooking us a simple soup. This is a fantastic, friendly and overall local place that I strongly recommend... thanks very much Caballitos Mar!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple